Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time I touced an oval carpet car was 1992 I had a hyperdrive back then.. Looking to getting back into it...I dont want to go through the same BS of buying a car then finding out there is something better or whatever..

Right now what is the hot set up>>what are the big guys winning with..

I just want to hear the pros and cons of the setups so I can make a somewhat informed decision..

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Basically there are 3 top complete car kits out right now.

KSG - Slider chissis for carpet, or Solid chassis for caps.
Hyperdrive - 0700 is a slider, or SSE Pro 2 is a solid chassis
Custom Works Aggressor - Supposed to be shipping now but not sure of the status.

The Aggressor won 6 cell pro mod in its debut at the snowbirds last year & is probably going to be hard to get a hold of for a while since they just released it.

For batteries go with TQ cells, matched at 35 amps, they are very honest #'s & fast right out of the box.

Motors, Bulit Motorsports all the way, great horspower & Bill is a great guy.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Welcome back to OVAL , I could give you a song and dance about which car is better , BUT that is not the total picture ,All the Kits our now are very good to say the least .Most come with all the needed goods to go fast out of the box.....In a good drivers hands all the kits[KSG,Customworks,Hyper,Maverick,Associated ,SilvaConcepts all have great drivers and kits on the market .....It really comes down to having the best total program , Car,Driver,Motors,Batts,Bodies and being organized [something i struggle with ]you can see most companies have a thread on this OVAL site and you can get a feel for where you would like to invest in ...All the tEAMS are much better at helping a new guy out and getting him up to speed as fast as his pocket can afford.....Goood Luck .

Rocket

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it sounds like things are better than they used to be when you boght a kit and threew 90% of it away...LOL

Driving I still have down...Still mess with the old stuff.. Orginnization I still have down, money not an issue...

It just looks like everything has completely changed...I recognize the brand names but thats about it..

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Custom works look really nice, they have alot of adjustability, on the other hand there will probably be several KSG's and Hyperdrive's for sale when the custom works come out and they are perfectly good cars. If it was me I'd go with the custom works.

·
Registered
993 Posts
what type of track will you be racing on?
how big or small?
banked or flat?
i'm assuming that your gonna run foam tires, since it is the season. if you didn't run the exotic compounds in 92, your in for a treat, they grip better and wear less.

·
*Justin Smith*
930 Posts
KSG is the best out of box car but if you want a car for tunablitlity and tons of adjustments get a maverick o4. Ive got one and just looking at it is awesome sooooo many adjustments just on the font end alone its just sick. Probly the most underrated car out. Speed control, Keyence zero extreme, TQ Cells or pole position cells are great packs. Monte Carlo HD body. HPI Center shock. The new RC4less tires are good as well as the TRC's.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Kenwood,
Chassis:
Complete car kits -- Hyperdrives, KSG, Custom Works (new), Associated L4

Associated L4 conversion kits out there.
The Maverick, KGB Sniper, Silva X-Factor 4 (new), Leading Edge car.

I have seen every kit on the market fast in the right hands.

Most are offering both slider chassis and solid chassis cars.
The sliders seem to work better on flat carpet and cap tire tracks.
The solids work great on Banked carpet and asphalt foam tire tracks.

Classes:
The popular classes are 4 cell spec (1600 mah spec batts and 21T Trinity spec motors)
4-cell stock - 27T motors (most popular the Trinity Monster stock and Epic Roar stock)
4-cell 19T - ARCOR/ROAR based Epic motors with standup hoods
4-cell mod

Batteries:
GP has been in the market for about 2 years now and are the hands down leader.
Everyone runs their 3300mah cells. As far as matchers go there are so many now that offer great cells.
SRC, SMC, KC, Promatch, TQ cells, Hefty cells, Whiplash, etc etc

Chargers:
High dollar: The new Futaba, discharges at 40 amps, no motor run in though
The CE Turbo 35 GFX, pretty much the standard every oval racer has, 35 amp discharge, motor run in feature.
Middle range - LRP Pulsar competition, Integy chargers (many diff price ranges), Reedy Quazar, Yokomo

Stock and 19T is deadshorting their packs, mod does not short.
Speedos:
LRP Quantum 2, Keyence Rapido Pro, Novak GTX, GM, KO, Futaba (knockoff of the LRP Quantum 1)

Tires:
BSR, Jaco, TRC, rc4less, Murdock, TM Tires

Bodies:
Protoform, Mcallister, Bandit, CDI (former Bolink, but no one has heard from them in a while)

That pretty much sums it all up.

·
Bret Lund
2,684 Posts
"what are the big boys winning with","whats the hot setup, no BS".

PUTNAM PROPULSION for motors (Stock, mod, 19)
Custom works car comes complete, drop it and go win.
TQCELLS are GP 3300's and winning everywhere.
TM tires same rubber, and the price is right.

Everything can be found at Putnam's.
www.Putnampropulsion.com
[email protected]
Drop him an e-mail, and subject line have "need stuff"

Later, Bret

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Not to start a fight Jet but that is far from true.....

Jaco,Ksg,Smc,Kisbey,Whiplash are the products that are winning the BIG races [nationals,snowbirds,regionals and so on ....]You know TQ or DQ at the ROAR nats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!heehehehhe

Maybe my sources are wrong BUT I think you know it to be true....

Rocket

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Miller you forgot that a Bandit body won 19trn at the ROAR nats, ARCOR NC State Championship. ARCOR Open Stock Champinship. Mod at the Contrete Oval Championships in Florida. 1/12th scale at the Kimbrough Race in Vegas........ i'll stop there...

Just a friendly poke buddy....lol. Come to Sandhills and play some time... NORCCA nats are coming as well as the Memorial race and the Oval Masters Manufacturs Cup...

Billy

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Congrats to the bandit guys for winning those events ........Billy W I am coming down to play ,My car is already down there getting ready see ya soon ....

ROCKET

1 - 18 of 18 Posts