Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought some golden state 30w oil today. on the back it says its supposed to b used for high oil comsumption engines. it says not cannot be used for later models from 1930. can i use it in my briggs stratton 2 hp/3 hp thanks

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oops forgot: manual says to use 30w oil but doesnt say what type of it or what manufacturer to get it form thanks

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Never heard of golden state...
Is it HD-30 or ND-30? never use ND-30 (non detergent) use HD (high detergent). Atleast SL rating... (course that would be detergent if it carries at SL rating)

HD-30 or 15w-40 diesel grade would be fine...

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it just says SAE 30 .... i use 10-40w oil is that OK? the manual says to use that if you dont have another type of oil

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks news i got this at fast stop.... thanks for telling me. is 10-40w ok? jt says on front: motor oil SAE 10-40w high performance formulation for gasoline engines, API ServiceSM,SL, SJ

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
10W-40....
Yes its SL rated so its fine... and yes it will do fine, just keep a eye on consumption as 10w-40 shears easier than say 10w-30.., has more volume index improver's/pour point depressants..

As for oil wieght..... 10w-30 is a 30 weight at operating temp... acts like a 10 weight in the cold temps... the bigger the gap between these two numbers mean theres alot more likeliness it'll shear (go down a oil grade) and sludge.. this is what synthetics really don't have to deal with... Which is why I recommended either just straight 30 weight, or 15w-40 CF/SF rated oil... (compression fired and spark fired suited for diesel engines or gas)

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I have and use 10w-40 havoline in a couple I own... (one 18hp twin, and one 4hp max briggs) and it does OK... but it still gets changed around every 25 hours..
10w-40 will do ok... so will 10w-30
As long as the straight 30 weight is SL then its good... (has detergents even if its not called HD)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so which is better: 10w-30 or 10w-40? (its SUPERTECH oil)

Ah yes: I have 2 engines, both have been neglected by the previous owner: "what? we're supposed to change the oil???" ... ebay... the oil turns gray when i pour it in there, and where its finally gold, i have to change it within the hour...

have another one ... runs for 25 hours out of 10w-40... the oils still golden!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
one more thing, marvel's mystery oil.. can that be added, is it effective, any bad effects, and how much?

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Well I have only done that to one engine... (in the oil that is) engine sat for years, what I drained was sludge...
I put (engine holds 20 ounces max) 15 ounces of oil, another 3-4 ounces of MMO and ran the engine for maybe 30 minutes and drained it HOT... Now when I go to check the oil... you can't tell as the oil is crystal clear on the stick.
It could do some good to free up sticky rings... I'd go no more then 4-5 ounces in a small engine... larger rider engine.. (that say holes 1.5 quarts) I wouldn't go no more then a half a quart. Run it for around 30 mins and drain hot.
The only real thing I use MMO for is in the gas... keeps my carbs free from sticking... keeps the valves and combustion chambers good n clean.. Will help on top end bore wear when used in the gas.. use it in small doses (about 1-2 ounces per gallon) in 2 cycle mix as well.
The bad effects in gas? none unless you use far too much.. then it'll of course smoke.
The bad effects in oil? well there can be some... you can thin the host oil out to the point it won't protect and hurt the engine...

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks! but i have a 2 hp engine briggs, not the diaphram type of egine, it dont like MMO, i have to dump out the whole tank and refill with NEW gas

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dunno, i guess ive been an idiot. i dont measure, i just dump it into the engine tank. and i have a 3 hp that smokes. . i putMMO in it, i cantget it to stop smoking no matter h0w i adjsust the needle. too much MMO?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts