Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i went to walmart last night low and behold there was 11 cases of 72 basic hotwheels on the palletts. lucky i know someone who works there let me go through each and every one. SO i went through every single case TOP AND BOTTOM, Every one was sealed with the hotwheels tape. But i only found 2 treasure hunts out of all those cases, which were 2 OCC SPLITBACK SUPER TREASURE HUNTS.

i know i got 2 supers and im not complaining but i really dont get why only 2 treasure hunts out of 11 cases and only supers. i just dont get it.i always thought there was atleast 1 treasure hunt in each and every case... can anyone explain this?!:confused:

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
i went through 8 case one time with 2 hunts only.both regs.you never know what is in them or how thewy were packed.i have opend 10 cases before with 9 regs and 1 super.i say you got really lucky that the both you got were supers .love to find me one of those OCC's.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i didnt know that, every case before last night always had atleast 1 treasure hunt. was really confused all the cases had almost the same serial numbers and letters on the box as you can see in the picture. i figured since they were the same codes almost, i would of found a jackpot of occ choppers but i didnt lol.

i got about 20 dodge charger police cars also(non redline) tho and about 10 69' ponitac GTO's( love this car and paint scheme)

ANYONE READING this and some something like this has happened please explain..im curious to hear about this happening to other people...

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
starting back in late 2001 early 2002 mattle said they were gonna help regular collectors out and put an end to scalpers(witch was BS cause mattle loves scalpers)they said they would now not have a TH in every case. like that would some how stop the guys who cherry pick out the THs because they might now find one in every case now.
most new collectors (not saying your knew) but most newbies think there is hunt in every case.if i were to guess if there were 4 to 8 cases on a pallet i would say you got about 80% shot of getting a hunt in every case and about 20% shot at a super in atleast one of those cases.that's why guys ( NOT ALL) think supers are solid gold and think you should hand over all your cars and your new born baby to trade for it.thank mattle and ebay for that.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Just back from a Walmart where I also found a OCC Splitback in one case-- interestingly this regular treasure hunt has the superTH front tire on it.

It's not in-line with my collection so it'll go to eekbay soon

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Congrats on your finds.... Those cases would have never made it out on the
sales floor sealed in my area.. Everything in my area in HWs gets raided before
ever hitting the pegs. Your very lucky to have the pleasure to open so many new
virgin cases.

As stated above ... If you find a TH in every case you have opened , you are
very lucky as they are random in every case being packed... Now back in 1996
all you had to do was going online and get on this one website that posted up
case codes for the THs but that site is long gone for today collector or scalpers.

THs are random, so smile when you do find one :wave:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Treasure hunts are randomly inserted into the cases. You might find one in a case, or none. same thing with white lightnings, and green machines. If there was one or more in every case (which there can be sometimes) they will not be collectable.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I lucked into 12 sealed cases at Wally that should have had the El Camino Hunts and not a single Super or Regular in any. There seems to be more and more "Dead" cases, as the locals call them. Even with so many huntless cases, I've still found more Supers this year than any before. I'm sure it's just dumb luck but I'll take it.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Right around Christmas time last year, over the course of 2 consecutive saturdays I opened 22 cases of 72 basic HW. Not ONE $uper in all of those cases. The first Saturday 10 cases, no hunts at all, the second saturday 12 cases only a couple of regs. It happens and there is no rhyme or reason to it.
It looks like you ran into a batch of cases from the recent dump bins being found at Walmart. I know 2 friends that were first into these cases. ONLY $uper hunts were found, 2 in each batch and ZERO regs. Seems to be a pattern.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Sometimes finding a t-hunt is just a bonus but just too find new "CARS or TRUCKS" is much better than finding that green stripe just my $1.07 cents!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
sealed cases as in non-opened. not re-taped almost perfectly over the hotwheels tape to make it look not opened as i seen before that an employee did.

i take it back tho that i have found treasure hunts in every case. but damn near almost every case i go thru. ...

i dont know why all the walmarts around here get these kind of cases almost everytime. but ive noticed that i found treasure hunts in these kind of cases more than anything and almost everytime found 2 and a lot of supers out of these kind of cases.

i just started collecting hotwheels this year. and i go to about 3 walmarts about everyother night only need the #15 TH complete the 2011 series.:thumbsup:
anyone got some tips?
like knowing when to go out for the hunt,,what days..noticed thursday are best??
like i think itd be best to go around christmas when hotwheels arre flying off the shelves...?
Where to go, and what stores and such?
what to do if you know a store where an asshole employee is hoarding the TH's?

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
5 of us, 9 big flat shippers..a super and reg each, next store there was 7 flat shippers, so many regs we were giving them to every collector in the aisle, next store 8 shippers 3 regs.and that was last year, best hw day i think i ever had...

·
Registered
199 Posts
sealed cases as in non-opened. not re-taped almost perfectly over the hotwheels tape to make it look not opened as i seen before that an employee did.

i take it back tho that i have found treasure hunts in every case. but damn near almost every case i go thru. ...
i dont know why all the walmarts around here get these kind of cases almost everytime. but ive noticed that i found treasure hunts in these kind of cases more than anything and almost everytime found 2 and a lot of supers out of these kind of cases.

i just started collecting hotwheels this year. and i go to about 3 walmarts about everyother night only need the #15 TH complete the 2011 series.:thumbsup:
anyone got some tips?
like knowing when to go out for the hunt,,what days..noticed thursday are best??
like i think itd be best to go around christmas when hotwheels arre flying off the shelves...?
Where to go, and what stores and such?
what to do if you know a store where an asshole employee is hoarding the TH's?
Sounds like your doing just fine, shame none of the Hunts' are making it to the pegs though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Just back from a Walmart where I also found a OCC Splitback in one case-- interestingly this regular treasure hunt has the superTH front tire on it.

It's not in-line with my collection so it'll go to eekbay soon
Hi Tj:wave:,
I am in no way trying to tell you what to do with your find, just merely a suggestion, but rather than feed the beast so to speak by putting it on epay.Why not trade it to someone on here who appreciates the hobby for somthing you would want? For instance i noticed redline hot ones series supervans are going for 10 dollars or better on epay yet i traded two of them to another member for two texas drive ems which im much happier with than the twenty bucks i couldve got.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
TJinSA

I say put it on eBay as you may get more than $20 for it as its a
combo Reg / Super + it being a error TH to top it off which are
hard to find anyways.... That's a hard error to fake so you will
do fine on eBay in selling it.

Wish ya luck and hope you get $30-40 for it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
See TJ sounds like Liv N Low is ready to pay you 30 to 40 dollars for it already, perhaps he has 30 to 40 dollars worth of stuff to trade for,,,,Hmmm not as great a deal now huh. Thats the problem with Epay ,, lets not forget this is a 1.07 TOY!!
However it is your toy and you are entitled to do with it as you want! I am only stating an opinion (and we all know about those) I mean no direspect to u or Liv N Low. I,m a Hobby collector not a profit collector. I am taking my error cards to K-days next week to trade in the parking lot, I get alot more out of the experience than watching an Epay screen.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
See TJ sounds like Liv N Low is ready to pay you 30 to 40 dollars for it already, perhaps he has 30 to 40 dollars worth of stuff to trade for,,,,Hmmm not as great a deal now huh. Thats the problem with Epay ,, lets not forget this is a 1.07 TOY!!
However it is your toy and you are entitled to do with it as you want! I am only stating an opinion (and we all know about those) I mean no direspect to u or Liv N Low. I,m a Hobby collector not a profit collector. I am taking my error cards to K-days next week to trade in the parking lot, I get alot more out of the experience than watching an Epay screen.
No disrespect taken smilinbob. I wouldn't pay anymore more than what he paid for it as it's a mainline HW. It's all up to him no doubt in what he wants to do with the bike. I personally would see how it does online on eBay before trying to do a trade. He probably can make more from the item to buy a few Cars he collects. Trading 1 for 1 is hard enough today as many people want Gold for what they have. This is just my .02c

1 - 20 of 26 Posts