Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Yes but back then they didnt test for a concussion or have rules on those. Professional sports are starting to take them a lot more serious now due to all the lawsuits the NFL has gotten from former players and the long term damage it causes. Im pretty sure NASCAR has implemented the same type of policies for its drivers too. Im pretty sure they wouldnt want someone out there racing 200mph and forget what they are doing or where they are like concussions cause.

EA

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
junior had himself checked out on his own accord. in a sport where a driver can be replaced in a moments notice, that takes alot. i commend junior on his decison to get checked out. yes the old timers were stubborn and didnt want to admit they were hurt. its the same thing my dad told me , when he was younger they was their hands in benzine to clean off paint, worked in leaded gas etc, they didnt know the dangers. concussons are nothing to fool with, go slam your head against the wall a few times and see how well you drive a pan car!! then mutiply that by 10!!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would bet Jr wants a life after the racing is done and not be just another wheel chair bound dude who can only stare at the ceiling and drool!!

Got to give him credit, tough to step out during the chase but there is more to life than NASCAR.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, there is more to life than NASCAR. Dale Jr. is more than just a driver, he also is a team owner and busness owner. Besides one of the most visible personalitys in the sport, he is taking care of himself, that is the most importent thing he can do. This sitting out for a couple of races is nothing. I think Dale Jr. has done more for the sport just now than Big E ever did.

·
Banned
3,250 Posts
Yes, there is more to life than NASCAR. Dale Jr. is more than just a driver, he also is a team owner and busness owner. Besides one of the most visible personalitys in the sport, he is taking care of himself, that is the most importent thing he can do. This sitting out for a couple of races is nothing. I think Dale Jr. has done more for the sport just now than Big E ever did.
Now you're comparing Apples to Oranges!!! Jr. only wishes he could be as good as Dad was! Sr. had the B---s!

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Not sure what year it was, but Dale sr. was acting very strange during the warm up laps before a race. I think it may have been at the "the Rock" (Rockingham). The crew could not get him on the radio at firstto find out what was happing. Could he have been suffering from a concussion??? He did finish the race. I like what Dale JR did and NASCAR does not need the PR of a driver of Dale JR's popularity receiving a carreer ending injury from multiple concussions.

·
Banned
3,250 Posts
Not sure what year it was, but Dale sr. was acting very strange during the warm up laps before a race. I think it may have been at the "the Rock" (Rockingham). The crew could not get him on the radio at firstto find out what was happing. Could he have been suffering from a concussion??? He did finish the race. I like what Dale JR did and NASCAR does not need the PR of a driver of Dale JR's popularity receiving a carreer ending injury from multiple concussions.
Retired football players are doing something about it and I think it's time these guys do to. Most drove with a concussion and never said anything or didn't know they had one, even a minor one. Health is #1!!!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
They never said rumors from a heart attack to a concussion.

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
40G wreck @ Kansas and another 20G impact at Daga within a couple of weeks, I've been there, there are lasting affects, many don't show up for years later. Even hockey has a quiet room now where it is a one on one with a Dr w/o coaches or team staff after a heavy check or hit and they sit players for games/month/year if needed. I believe there were close to 10 deaths of retired pro football/hockey players last year alone all related to lasting affects of concussions and associated depression..... No bueno

·
Registered
45 Posts
There is a big difference between balls and brains. A big hit to the balls and you walk funny for a couple of days, a big hit to the brain and they sit you in a corner to poo yourself. I knew a lot of the drivers from Dale Sr's day,most hoped to get out before a killer wreak. Dale Jr and his bunch are smarter, they see NASCAR as a pro athlete sport and plan a life after. You can't do much with a busted melon.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Dale Sr. also pitted on the wrong side of the track at Darlington soon after the track was flipped ( sorry don't remember what year that was? ) along with having some other confusion during that race.
I beleive more than one racecar driver has driven with internal head injuries and not realized there was a problem.

I personaly never understood some of my issues until a few months ago when I wound up in an emergency room. They originaly thought I had suffered a heart attack or stroke then after Alot of testing incuding multiple Exspensive CatScans they determined my problems where associated with a severe concussion I sustained 12 years ago. After a proper diagnosis and some adjustments I am now feeling better than I have in years! I'm even thinking about coming back to RC racing ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts