Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new here and looking for some advise. I have two go carts with B&S engines. I bought the engines at a sale a couple or 3 years ago and they have been in the tool shed sitting. They were originally utilized in some industrial application that resulted in very little use until I bought them.
I put these on the kids Go Carts in the spring and have been finishing the project a little at a time as I have a few minutes. I travel a lot for work, so a few minutes with a good project like this is better than a truck load of Diamonds to me.

Briggs & Stratton Engines are as follows.

Go Cart #1
Model 133232
Type 103GE1
Code 991104YB

Go Cart # 2
Model 135232
Type 1036 E
Code 990930YB

I have downloaded the Parts manual for both from B&S website.

The engines ran rough before I put in new carb kits. My background is as follows. I have mechanical engineering background and used to work with small engines, diesel engines, gas engines, turbine engines in many applications for work and for fun. I must tell you in the past 10-15 years I have not had the time to have projects like before, I have not torn down and worked on them like years ago, but I don't think I have forgotten much of what I learned as a younger man either. So, I am not current with recent technology and not current with shortcuts to make these run better. But I am no couch potato either.

Anyway, I bought the gasket kits (2 gaskets - diaphram and tank gaskets) for the carbs and cleaned them out, put in all new kits. No new gaskets on either shaft was in the kits. I had not worked on this type of carb design before that did not have a fuel bowl. There are very few parts. I downloaded the parts manual and seemed to understand how everything was assembled and worked together.
The performance has improved a bunch on number #1, runs fine on jack stands. When it starts off, it will spin the one drive tire. It runs good, then dies. Usually starts missing before dying. Under load in the cow pasture, the engine just dies after about 2-3 minutes of driving. It will restart with choke and run again like before for a couple of minutes.

#2 is hard to start and runs with choke about 1/2 on. I have to feather the choke to keep it running. It seems like low torque power in addition to poor running.

I am looking for suggestion on improving the running of the engines and any torque tweaks I can do. Both are fitted with typical slip clutches like you find on other go carts.

I appreciate any advise guys,

Thanks in advance.

John

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think GT is correct but those engine numbers i think are not correct. might take another look at them. make sure the tank is not rusty, if it is then your gonna have trouble out of it from now on. i think the carbs need a better cleaning. lot of little holes and passages that have to be cleaned really well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HD4OU & Golftech,

This information is exactly what I was hoping to get. You all are great. This detail lets me understand this style carburetor much better and now I have another couple of questions.

My carbs are this model. One engine is 5HP and the other is 6 HP, but both are the same. The engine numbers are exactly what I typed on here. I don't know why they seem out of series when looking up parts.

The fuel tank is steel and has the little pan under the short pick up tube. There was rust in there, but I cleaned off that area pretty well, I assume I mussed some. The tank is filled with spongy foam also. Maybe switch to a plastic tank if available?

1). After reviewing this attachment, I believe this carburetor is more set up for stationary applications than for a moving application like a Go-Cart. Would I be better off to purchase another style carb to better deal with the bouncing through the cowpasture that my kids will put this go cart through? If so, do you have a recommendation for another model & source?

2). If another carb model is not the answer, should I extend the pick up tube and purchase a new tank?

Again, your comments are great and I appreciate this.

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want to thank the guys for the great information on my first post. It helped me identify and understand the issue with the carbs on the kids go carts. My question now is, I want to replace the stock carb on this engine with a carb that has a fuel bowl and float and do away with the tank mounted carb. I can see it is going to be a problem in the future.

The engine is 6hp Briggs (numbers below) and has this carb. pulsa-jet tank mounted. What carb can I replace this with? Can you suggest a part number and source for the replacement? Should I go larger or smaller than stock if the choice presents itself?
I am not looking for a super performer race carb, just a carb that has fuel bowl and can use a external fuel tank. My goal is to get these go-carts running well and trouble free.

Again, thanks in advance

John

·
Registered
98 Posts
I still think that your carbs are suspect. as per the link to your carbs that GT sent you can see all the little passages and holes that must be clean and clear. I would once again remove them and give them a real good cleaning including little wires through the holes to make sure all are open, followed by blowing out everything with your compressor. the tank itself has foam like stuff in it for a baffle effect to keep the gas from sloshing around like for gocarts a garden tillers. Very, very common for these tanks to rust. 2 solutions, replace tanks with good one or buy coating kit to reline inside or tank. both are ok but somewhat pricey. dont know of a carb swap on this engine. never tried or entertained the thought so i dont know. i say fix what you got and give er hell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts