Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about buying one of GMPs 92 Mustangs, hatchback. But first, can anybody tell me how hard it might be to disassemble one of them? I own a 1:1 all-black 93 GT, hatchback. Most 1:18s ive seen are quite simplified in thier construction and disassemble fairly easily. If anybody here has one of these GMP 92 Mustangs, fill me in.

Are the bumper covers removable?
Are the '5.0' badges photoetched or a tampo?
How are the headlights, taillights, and windows attatched?

Im attempting to contact GMP also but nothing yet.

Also, does anybody produce a 1:18 AOD transmission?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
FB93 said:
Im thinking about buying one of GMPs 92 Mustangs, hatchback. But first, can anybody tell me how hard it might be to disassemble one of them? I own a 1:1 all-black 93 GT, hatchback. Most 1:18s ive seen are quite simplified in thier construction and disassemble fairly easily. If anybody here has one of these GMP 92 Mustangs, fill me in.

Are the bumper covers removable?
Are the '5.0' badges photoetched or a tampo?
How are the headlights, taillights, and windows attatched?

Im attempting to contact GMP also but nothing yet.

Also, does anybody produce a 1:18 AOD transmission?

Hey FB93,

Unfortunately I don't think I can be of any help in answering "how to" disassemble questions. However I just got one of the GMP '92 Hatchbacks and I can let you in on something you might not know.

If you go to GMP's website ..... http://www.gmpdiecast.com/ and "join" Tom's Garage, you can get a '92 GT HB for FREE ! ! It costs $24.95 to join and you get the Mustang and a few other nice perks for nothing ! ! I believe that you can have up to two memberships per household. So you might be able to get two Mustangs to "experiment" on :D

Hope this info helps. Take care and good luck on your project. Please keep us informed on how you are coming along.

Scott Moen
Mustang Enthusiast & Collector
[email protected]

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks both : ). Theres a hobby shop nearby so i can get ahold of some CA to put it all back together.

Hey Scott, whats up? Spoke to you a few times before about Mustangs over on HWC. Hows your collection coming along?

Frank

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally got a 92 GT from GMP and tore it apart as soon as it left the box. Tedious isnt even the word. Good thing im patient with this stuff.

Need some help with the carpet. Ive never dealt with flocking material before. Is it dyeable or paintable? Could i reflock over top of whats there or do i have to remove whats there first? And what about the seatbelts? They are a silverish fabric. How do i go about recoloring them? Marker? i thought about paint but im thinking that would be a tad too thick and may ruin the threads. Nobody around here has the same material to make new ones

Everything needs to be black.

And whats the best glue for rubber-to-plastic?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
FB93 said:
Thanks both : ). Theres a hobby shop nearby so i can get ahold of some CA to put it all back together.

Hey Scott, whats up? Spoke to you a few times before about Mustangs over on HWC. Hows your collection coming along?

Frank
Hey Frank,

I've been trying to give you a call for the past few weeks to chat. Don't know if the phone number I have for you is still current. If you'd like to talk, drop me a PM or an e-mail ... [email protected] , with your phone number and good time to call and I'll give you a shout. Take care and good luck with the GMP Mustang conversion ! I'm sure we would all like to see the finished product !

Scott

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
heres the interior so far...

The seatbelts originally mounted to the chassis with a spring but had to cut it to remove the interior. I removed the rear seat and drilled two small holes. i stretched the spring so i could loop it thru the holes. Seatbelts still work. I recolored them with a black sharpie.

The clutch pedal was removed since im making an auto. The other GT in the pic is still manual (its staying that way for you gear bangers). As for the carpet i reflocked it which turned out really really well for my first time. I just painted over what was there little by little, adding flock as i went. The headliner was repainted as was the grey parts of the dash. Same for the taillights.

The chassis got new rear brake lines as i found GMPs lines to be a tad too thin. I plan on adding fuel lines as well.

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Wow!!! Good job. Keep us informed as to how it's going, please. Somewhere, someone is customizing a Grand National to blow the doors off that Muskrat though (sorry, the Buick lover in me keeps sneaking out!).

Some of my best memories with my old Turbo Buick were with 5.0 Mustangs, natural rivals, those two. Those were great times to be a car lover :thumbsup:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finished the brake and fuel lines, well, most of them. The only line missing is the one that connects the L and R drums.

The lines are 24 gauge craft wire. Each line (4 in total) you see is a seperate piece and tied down by some black 1/24 scale plug wire in 9 places. Very tedious work but im happy with it. Look closely and theres even a fuel filter by the tank.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Question about paint.

Has anybody ever tried the Testors Model Car Sprayer Set 9125? Im thinking of spraying the Stangs body with acrylic (gloss black). Ive never used gloss acrylics before. How durable are they once dried? Is there any certain ratio i need to follow or can i spray it straight from the bottle?

Anything else i need to know about gloss acrylics?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
GMP Mustang Repaint - UPDATE

I tried that Testors spray set and for my first time it came out ok. Not as shiny as id like but it came out better than i thought. I sprayed straight from the bottle without thinner. I sprayed a plastic body and it layed down smoother. Wierd.

Heres the Stang.

Still have to add the 5.0 fender badges but theyll go on when everything is done.

Is polishing acrylic any different than enamel? If i ever tackle another project using acrylic spray, will thinning it a bit give me a smoother finish? Thanks.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't have any expeirience with acrylic paint. But with automotive clear coat if you over thin it a bit if will "flow" out a bit better. That is seak it's own level and therefore leaveing a shinier finish and alleaviating the orange peal that you see. Now. saying that I have no idea if it is advisable/possible to polish/cut/buff acrylic paint.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Mustangs Rule!

FB93...

Try giving your casting some clearcoat, like 2-3 coats it'll add shine and depth to your black paint.
Since you sprayed it with Testors it may be best if cleared with Testors Clear.
I paint my castings a Wal-mart ($2) Flat Black (like primer) then 1-2 lite coats of Krylon Triple Clear...Excellant Satin/gloss Black Finish.

Plastic to Metal cement...Wal-mart automotive dept. 3M Plastic Molding & Trim Adhesive, a clear glue that once a thin layer drys...Holds like KingKong.

You look like you're having pretty good results so far..Don't rush the build back, it'll turn out awesome.

Jeff Fleetwood

1 - 17 of 17 Posts