Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is everyone using to glue on foam donuts?

I found some foams in my stash along with an unopend 10+ year old can of TRC #902 tire glue. The can says use the lacquer thinner dip method. Is there a better way?

·
R/C Nut
653 Posts
glue them fast do not wait for the glue to dry I use to use Contact Cement but it has to be the good stuff not the new water based stuff

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
The laquer thinner dip method works well. Hopefully you have a tire horn. I used to always mount my own years ago. I probably wouldn't use the 10 year old glue. The best stuff for gluing tires is PL wallboard adhesive. Go to your hardware store and buy a quart of it.

Unfortunately nowadays it isn't easy to get foam doughnuts. Mounting them yourself is much cheaper and gets you superior quality if you do a good job.

Remember to rough up the surface of the rim with dremel.

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
I use Loctite contact cement and it has been working pretty well. I coat the tire and wheel, dip my tire and horn (in my case a airplane propeller cone) in lacquer thinner and slide the tire on. Let it set up over night and go to truing the next day.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
maybe it was cheaper to glue and true are own wheels & tires, maybe that's why they stopped selling doughnuts.................... :cry:

·
Registered
264 Posts
It was and is cheaper to glue on tire donuts....I used to cut two fronts out of one rear.
Tire cement, lacquer thinner and two different size shot glasses is all that was needed and then off to the truer.

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
TM sells them. Tony just doesn't list them on his site. Nice foams.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts