Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been wanting to do this for ages. Some of you might know I am. HUGE fan of glow in the dark kits. I have had a fascination with phosphorescent plastic since I was a kid.

I've bought a few of the recent glow releases, added some glow paints to non-glow kits, and have collected most of the Luminator monsters, although I still have a few of them left to build.

I finally got a decent quality 100w Blacklight globe and stand yesterday, and took a few pics last night which I'd love to share with you all. Please bear in mind, that when I've been doing a glow kit, the focus has been on fun and the glow gag itself. yes I do the normal sanding and finishing, but my main aim has been to have fun with them. Some may appear a little comic due to the garish paint colours I've used, but I hope you'll appreciate the intention.

My model shelf under normal light

Same angle with the one Blacklight doing its thing

The Ghost of Castel-Mare. Glow paint applied to the figure and nameplate only

Dr. Jekyll as Mr. Hyde. As you can see from his lab coat he's not very fastidious about keeping up appearances

The Witch. I really went nuts with this one. I used a combination of the optional glow parts and some highlights with the lurid glow paints

Mummy's Chariot. Using standard acrylics applied some nice definition to the body of the car. I washed the Mummy with black ink to bring out the detail of the wrappings and still allow the figure to glow

Luminators Dracula. This guy goes off like a light bulb! (See shelf pic)

Frankenstein's Monster. This kit plastic almost seems to have faded over the years, but it still gives a nice effect. I actually found my fingertips were orange by the time I'd finished him!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

King Kong. Pretty in pink!

I've got a few more kits that I'm working on that I'll add to this thread as they are completed.

Hope you enjoy the pics!

·
Premium Member
5,988 Posts
...Please bear in mind, that when I've been doing a glow kit, the focus has been on fun and the glow gag itself...I hope you'll appreciate the intention.
Oz,

What we should be bearing in mind is, the point of building models is to have fun! If you did that, your models are a success and to heck with what anybody else thinks. While I have moved away from featuring fluorescent or glow plastic with my own projects, I certainly appreciate your enjoyment of those features. Frankly, your photos remind me of how my own shelves looked in the not-so-distant past. Thanks for sharing photos of your work with us, and by all means keep at it!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Mark, it's always fun! You make a very good point though. As you can see from my shelf, the kits that glow are in the minority and where I've had the opportunity, I've built a kit without the glow parts as well.
Case in point; I picked up the two original Dark Shadows figure kits, and the double box version with the terrific replacement resin head pieces. I'll be building one set of kits without any glow features and finished to my usual standard using the incredibly well detailed replacement heads. Then I have a mountain of glow parts to go crazy on for the other set.
The pleasure I gain from building and displaying the kits is immeasurable. I look on the glow kits as a bonus where I can unleash my inner child and go wild.

Halloween is kind of taking hold here in Australia, and as I get more of the monster kits done, I've got a plan to do a window display with Blacklight for Trick or Treating. There are a lot of young kids in my area, and I think they'll be buzzed to get 'dinner and a show' so to speak!

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
This brings back some great memories for me and makes me want to kick myself too! Before Polar Lights or E Bay or the Interweb I was desperate to build my Aurora Monsters from the 60's. I went to Toy Shows and bought all the Luminator Kits I could find and base coated them and painted as Normal.

Now all the Aurora Monster Models are easy to find and I would like to build a complete Glow display for my window box as you described for Halloween! Oh Well. Good job and excellent display! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I love glow kits too - even those ridiculous Luminators. Your display is excellent. Thanks for sharing all the pics. You really need a glow guillotine in there.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. It was fortunate for me that I lucked on the Luminators after I had the kits in standard form otherwise I probably would have done the same thing.

The glow guillotine, hunchback, and Munsters living room are on my shopping list. I think they are the only recent glow releases I haven't got yet. I didn't mention that I've got Bigfoot waiting in the queue as well. I've just about finished detailing the USS Defiant and getting her ready for decals.

Does anyone know if the clear green Munsters house glows under Blacklight?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts