4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past two or three years near Halloween we have been sharing
some of our personal experiences with ghosts and other unexplained
phenomena. Anyone want to start?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Never seen a ghost but I've seen a UFO before. This was over 30 years ago. I played Pop Warner football and we were coming off the practice field one late October afternoon - late dusk. There were plenty of Moms and Dads there waiting to drive their kids home - probably about 40 people witnessed this event simultaneously. Someone pointed up and said: "Look!". There was a bright red light streaking across the sky - left to right - at an incredibly high speed. It stopped suddenly, stayed stationary for about two seconds - then streaked back in the exact opposite direction - stopped again, then streaked straight up at a phenomenal speed - and disappeared into the ether. All of us stood there - slack jawed, making comments like "What the heck was that?" Then we went home and ate our suppers. There was no earth-bound explanation for what we witnessed. Keep watching the skies!

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
An old High School chum of mine is the curator of the 45th Infantry Division Museum in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. When he first took over that post from the previous director, he noticed a few strange things going on in that facility.

Across the museum, a distant room from his office is 'the Chapel'. The Chapel has a motion sensor which activates 'Church Music' whenever patrons enter the room. Well, one night Mike was working late after all the volunteer guides had gone home - he was the only person on the grounds - when suddenly he hears the music start playing in the Chapel! Of course, he went out to investigate and found nothing! He reasoned that the sensor could have been tripped by a mouse or something so, he really didn't get too excited about it.

On another night when he was the last to leave the building and grounds, he was just about to drive away when he noticed that a light had been left on in the building! So, he re-entered the building and found that the light was coming from the Men's room upstairs. He turned it off and went back to his car. As he was about to drive away, lo and behold, the very same light was on again! Once again he re-entered the building, turned on all the lights, and did a thorough search to make sure no one was inside. When his search turned up nothing, he went back to the Men's room, extinguished the light, and returned to his car. As he drove away he glanced over his shoulder... the light was on again! He went home.

On still another night, he was working late in his office and once again the last person in the building. This time he heard footsteps going up the stairs! he heard them cross the floor above and directly over his office above his head! He could hear things being dragged across the floor as if heavy boxes were being moved. There is a storage room that is directly over Mike's office and he alone has access to it! He holds the only key! Mike dashed upstairs and found the storage room locked! He opened the room and looked around. Nothing looked as though it had been disturbed and there was no evidence of anything out of the ordinary! When Mike returned to his office, the footsteps started again. He decided he'd worked late enough that night!

After having experienced a number of these weird events, he finally struck up a conversation with some of the volunteer guides who had been there a number of years and worked up the nerve to ask them if they'd ever noticed any strange goings-on in the museum. Everybody had their own stories to tell. Voices, footsteps, and other unexplained things.

I guess Mike has gotten used to it, though... he's still working there after all these years.

- GJS

BTW, to make this model related - there are some fine military dioramas on display at the museum. And Mike himself is a modeler of note. he's been a life long fan of the Disney Nautilus and Fantastic Voyage Proteus, too!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
There once was a ghost named LeFete
whose haunting was never discreet
in the bedroom and bath
he'd yell "Boo!" with such wrath
that the victim would end with no sheet...

·
Starship Class
11,937 Posts
A security guard at an office building in west Montgomery, Ala. many years ago told me of a strange story. The family that owned the office building is well known there and the owner's office has urns with the ashes of his father and other ancestors sitting on a shelf.

Once when the guard went up there to make his rounds, he felt a hand on his shoulder. Thinking it was his partner who had come up behind him, he turned around and found no one there. Another time going up there, he reached to turn out the light and it turned off just before is fingers reached the switch.

His partner had also experience some strange things -- unexplainable sounds and such. His partner one evening went to check on the basement and opened the door and saw an emaciated man there.

It turns out that the building was built on the site of a Civil War hospital and graveyard. The partner left that evening and the guard who related the story to me, stayed in the guard's office the rest of the night refusing to go on rounds.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
The only one that I ever experienced personally is the one I mentioned here before about the ouija board. So, by popular demand...

When I was around 8 and my sister was 12 she received a ouija board for Christmas. Christmas afternoon one of her friends from down the street came to visit. The three of us played with the board asking all sorts of questions. Since it was Christmas one of us came up with the question, "Is there a Santa Claus?" With my sister and I touching the planchette it proceeded to spell out "Only in the hearts of little children."
I haven't played with a ouija board since then...

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
When I was young my brothers and sister were playing outside at night,and my sister was wearing a blue long dress. I happened to look to the front of the house and noticed what looked like a blue dress sort of a glow about it on a woman,at first I thought it was my sister, but I saw her in the back of the house. When I looked back she was gone. Never saw her again, might have been in my mind or not. You be the judge. Believe it or not.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Two stories.... I was babysitting once when I was in high school. The three kids were in bed and I was sitting in the living room, watching TV, when there was suddenly the extremely strong odor of a freshly lit cigar. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a white mist cross the open French-doors leading to the front screened-in porch. I got up and checked, but all the windows and outer doors of the porch were closed. I checked all the rooms of the house and found nothing. The odor lasted about ten minutes. When the mother returned, I mentioned the the smell. "Did you see any cloudy shapes?", she asked. "That's our ghost. The old man who lived here before us. He died on the front porch and used to smoke a cigar a day."

About five years ago, Cindy and I were driving home one night. We were about to go under a railroad bridge when we noticed a white light hovering over the bridge. When we were about 100 feet from the bridge, the light flew up and to the right at about a 45 degree angle, at an unbelievable rate of speed. We looked at each other and, at the same time said, "Did you see that!?!" We were pretty freaked.

Wayne

·
Registered
137 Posts
I attended a catholic grade school, where it was common practice to be a alter server for six AM. mass. Depending on which priest said mass, you could be done in about twenty minutes or so. with nothing to do but go over to the school and wait for the buses to start arriving at 7;30. You could sit in the hall or your home room ,the office or go over to the convent and mooch breakfast. One morning, I chose to just to go to my homeroom. Walking out the back of the church into the long school hallway, I saw somthing moving at the very far end.
the lights hadnt been turned on for the day yet, so the only light was from the early morning dim just before the sun rises,comming in the windows. The movement I saw was a nun opening the door from a classroom and moving to the big double doors at the end of the hall leading to the stairwell. She was dressed in a full length grey habit and moved very quietly almost floating over the tile floor....".GOOD MORNING SISTER" I said, my voice booming in the long empty hall,she didnt turn or pause, hmmmmm I thought, How could she not of heard me? Again I said ,"GOOD MORNING SISTER, as she was reaching the big double doors. This time she stopped, turned to me and smiled ,swung the door on the right open and the light from the stairwell beamed through the open door, changing the nun to just a nun silhouette, her face from beautiful pink to black and white (kinda like the faces in the movie TRON)
Well long story short, out the door she went....I turn on the light switches in the hall ....now at the doors, I pushed to follow the mystery nun in grey,they opened about three inches.....just enough for me to see the large chain and shiny new pad lock wrapped through the handles on other side.......

Over the years,I've heard other people have seen the nun in grey ,quietly checking the halls of my old school. I chit you not.
Chris/cujo.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
MY wife was driving with a friend and the friend's brother one foggy night on a long dark road going down a steep hill. She swears they saw a ghostly horse drawn carriage cross the road in front of them. THey later heard stories that a horse drawn carriage failed to negotiate a curve and went over the side...

·
Oxidation Genius
31,279 Posts
When we were kids, my sister used to babysit at an old stone mansion on a hill up the road. The place looked the part of the haunted mansion. She used to tell us ghost stories about her experiences there during dinner. After a few years of scaring the crap outta me, she finally confessed she was making them all up. :mad: The only real scarely experience she had there was when she was doing her homework in the living room and their cat suddenly jumped out of a hidden nook and scared her silly. Served her right.

Believe it or not, my Dad had a spooky experience during pilot training in Texas in 1944. While he and an instructor were doing their thing in an AT-6, another trainer crashed on the field, killing both occupants. Dad's instructor flew them over to the crash site to see if they could help in any way. Dad says he saw two "puffs of smoke" rise out of the cockpits of the plane and go straight up. The instructor pilot circled, and followed the puffs up. Dad says the puffs kept going straight up, not effected by the wind, until they were too high for the little T-6 to follow any more.

Ghosts? Souls enroute? Dad always wondered. But he saw a lot of people die over the following year, and never saw that effect again.

Our family home, where I grew up, was built in 1878. I was the 4th generation to live there. Personally, I never noticed anything spooky. But Dad said he'd occasionally hear his grandmother walking around - her funreral had been at the house, and in the days before any funeral homes were in the are, she'd been layed out in the living room :freak: . There was a time when he was restoring her old rocking chair in the basement, and he swears he heard it rocking. But again, despite many. many nights spent alone in that house, I didn't experience anything.

BUT. Dad sold the house in 1992, and the guy who bought it was the brother of a girl I went to high school with. I learned that she had house-sat for him occasionally (sexiest girl in our class - she finally comes to my house AFTER I move out!? urr...) So I saw her at the 20-year reunion and mentioned the house. Her eyes went wide and she said "Oh my God that house is so freakin haunted! I couldn't stay there another night!"

Maybe gramma misses us? :lol:

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some great stories. My family growing up has shared our home with a
" spirit" or something. It seemed to get more active at certain times. One
of those times was when my brother got an Oija board and we played around
with it. I really feel that Oijas are like ghost/demon magnets. another time is
when I was playing my electric guitar. I heard Jimmi Hendrix was experimenting
with guitar sounds (feedback) to open dimentional doors, so I cranked up my amp and was doing loud feedback at different tones, and all the sudden, I
got scared $#@!less. The hair stood up on the back of my neck, and I put
the guitar down. After that, things got worse. Our dog and cat would not go in my room - the dog barked at "something" in there, the cat Hissed at the room
and all the books (remember those encyclopedia sets) on the bookshelf all fell off! I have so many stories I'm going to put them together and write a book.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Okay, two years ago I was living in an apartment in Edmonton, going to university. One late night, like 2 or 3 in the morning, my roommate and I were sitting in his bedroom, having one of those philosophical talks that lasts for hours. You know, the kind where you discus the possibility that nothing really exists, maybe the world is a figment of your imagination, etc. Anyway, while we are sitting there, we hear a bang or a thud from my room down the hall. We went to my room, and at the time I didn't have a light hooked up to the wall switch, so I had to walk across the dark room to turn on my bedside lamp. I do so, and notice that a very heavy book has fallen off of my bookshelf, knocking a number of things off the desk below it. While both of us are wondering what happened, we both got really chilly, and then, at the EXACT SAME TIME, we turn around really fast. Both of us swear we felt something whip past us. Needless to say, we were pretty spooked.

At that same apartment, I was talking with a friend of mine at the doorway, and he was lingering in the hall because we'd struck up another conversation just as he was about to leave. As we stood there, the elevator down the hallway opened, with no one inside it. Well, obviously someone had pushed the button for our floor before getting out. However, as we looked at the elevator, we could see the light streaming out from inside it. As we watched, some kind of shadow moved across the light and out into the hall. Well, that kind of freaked us out, and I was glad that I was already home and didn't have to use the elevator. Felt bad for my friend though. :)

I have one or two more, but I have to go to class. Later.

Dan

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are definately things out there we just can't explain!!
I saw a ghost at my parents home in the mid eighty's I got home from
work, I sat down to watch some TV, kicked back on the Lay-Z-Boy, and
next thing i know I'm seeing this guy who looks like he's either covered in
mud or blood reaching out to me and asking me to help him. I calmly sit
up (I notice my body is still laying back- like just my spirit sat up) and I calmly said "I don't know how to help you". All of the sudden there was a
rush of sound ( the TV, clock, etc) and he was gone. I sat up, our large white
cat was sitting next to the chair still as a statue looking over to were the man was standing with his eyes as huge as saucers. I ran into the bathroom
and splashed water on my face trying to pull myself together.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,279 Posts
Actually, there was ONE incident in that old house, and you could easily pass it off as a breeze. The house was a mother/daughter side-by-side that, as I grew up, was shared between my parents and us kids on one side, and Dad's parents on the other.

After Mary and I had been married a few years, Gram passed away (Pop had been gone a while), and Dad offered the vacant half of the house to us. So Mary and I found ourselves sleeping in Gram and Pop's old bedroom.

It wasn't our first night there, but maybe our third. Warm summer night, with one window open and the door closed. We'd just turned the lights off to go to sleep. Very gentley, the door opened about halfway, we felt something pass thru the room, and the shade over the window billowed up. Then everything went still again. We popped the lights on and stared at each other.

Breeze? Or Gram saying, "hey kids, glad you're home again, I'll be on my way now?"

·
Registered
885 Posts
A few months after my Granddad died, I came out of my Grandmothers bathroom to go down stairs. It was totally dark but I could see my Granddad comming up the stairs toward me - he was a mass of whispy coloured clouds, a bit like the patterns you can see when you close your eyes.

It's difficult to describe how he looked but it was definatly him moving up the stairs in his slow and deliberate way, wearing his trilby hat.

I was only five and I nearly poo pooed my pantaloons - I dove behind banister and covered my eyes until I thought he would have got to the top, then rushed down stairs as fast as I could.

I didn't mention it (I was a quiet child) until 25 years later during a conversation with my older brother who used to live with my Gran. He was gobsmacked when I told him as one of his mates came back from the toilet one evening years after my Gran had died, white as a sheet claiming he'd just seen my Granddad comming out of the bathroom and he'd never believed him!

--

Not quite ghosty but a bit weird.

when I was 4 at the same house, I was playing with the only toys my Gran used to have at her house, a truck and a draft excluder shaped like a snake.

I was eating some sweets and decided to pop one in the snakes mouth. 3 mins later when I'd eaten them all I thought I'd eat the snakes one as well. I opened up it's mouth but the candy was gone! I couldn't find it anywhere and there was no where it could have gone - it was as though the snake has eaten it! Weird!
We still have that snake here somewhere, should I open it up and see if it's inside or does it have special powers that are best left indisturbed?

--

BTW, oiuja boards are known for stirring up hauntings, why don't people just take em down to the local pub and use em (or someone elses house for that matter ;))

Mike

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have seen ONE full body apparition. Me and a co-worker were coming in the lobby of work toward the elevator. As we approached we saw a tall man :dude: get on the elevator and the doors were shutting we said "hold the door", he didn't and we pressed the elevator button at that instant. As soon as the doors closed the opened back up and NOBODY was inside. We looked at eachother and at the same time we said "OMG did you see that!?!" :freak: We both had goosebumps and hair standing on end-we both knew what it was.

I'm a member of a local (Georgia) group www.ghosthounds.com - great site.
I've also had uncanny experiences in Maryland, DC and Florida.

MariettaHunter (screen name at Ghost Hounds) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks for the web site!!

My dad researched our property and found that there is a grave site somewhere
on the propety of a person who was claimed to be a witch ans posessed.
Now usually people were burried near a tree. We have an old apple tree
right outside my old bedroom window. :freak: The most recent happening was
my mother was bitten on the nose by "something".

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sure thing.

And a big WOW about your house/land. You should look around for the grave (if it's not under your bedroom!) because it should have some sort of marker. It could only be a square stone the size of half a brick..or a small pile of pebbles/rocks. Use a metal detector around the tree because if she is buried there and she was indeed a witch - most likely she was buried with some sort of ring/pendant on. I would not recommend exhuming to retrieve said metal token however :freak: unless you're a little on the brave side~

That said..Very seldom will certain activity produce a welt, blow, sting, scratch etc but it DOES occur. In all cases, this is malevolent activity.

fjimi

1 - 20 of 51 Posts