Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Don't laugh, but when I was just a wee lad The Ghost and Mr. Chicken kind of creeped me out.

Hmm, wouldn't a Don Knotts figure kit be cool? Hint, hint. Hint.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Before he quit "Andy Griffith", did you know Don Knotts wanted to make movies with Andy but Andy refused? They would have made a good team in movies as they were on tv.

Barney Fife would make a good kit. PL can have him stand next to their LIS robot. Mix tv genres.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
PerfesserCoffee said:
Congratulations on your wise purchase!

I've always wanted to see it in widescreen. I could tell from the credits at the beginning and end of the 'full screen' editions that I wasn't getting to see all I wanted to.

You've got me beat there! Mine is only 36" :freak: "'Atta boy, Luther!"

Mine is only 65"!!! :(

·
Registered
196 Posts
In HO scale, I have done models of all of Colonial Street (about 20 houses including the TGAMC house), Denver Street (Western are), Courthouse square (Back to the Future). In larger scale (twice HO) the Psycho House, the Munster house, and several other Colonial Street Houses. I have also done a lot of models of the Florida studio/themepark backlot when I worked there as a model builder in 1990 when they were building the park.

Mark

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Mark,

I see that your Bates' house has a chimney....unlike PL's house that has no chimney.

...I'd like to see a roof shot, if you have one, to see the location....so I can add one to my PL Bates house.

OAB

·
Starship Class
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Bradleyfett said:
Here are some pics of the Ghost and Mr. Chicken house model I did years ago in HO scale. Also in the album are pics of my Bates house and Munster house (both twice the size of the Polar Lites Psycho house kit):

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mommydawn2000/lst?.dir=/Universal+Backlot+models&.view=t

Mark
Great models! The Ghost & Mr. Chicken Simmons' mansion seems to have been added on quite a bit. Why is it the 'Allison' house now? New tenants?

I like the way you did the back. I was planning to leave mine unfinished in the back like a studio set.

BTW: Your Munsters' house pics made the theme song pop into my head and IT WON'T GO AWAY!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
196 Posts
origAurora buyer said:
Mark,

I see that your Bates' house has a chimney....unlike PL's house that has no chimney.

...I'd like to see a roof shot, if you have one, to see the location....so I can add one to my PL Bates house.

OAB
I don't have any top shots of the model right now. Here is a way to place it- looking at the front of the house, it should be just to the left of the left side of the tower, about halfway back.

Mark

·
Registered
196 Posts
PerfesserCoffee said:
Great models! The Ghost & Mr. Chicken Simmons' mansion seems to have been added on quite a bit. Why is it the 'Allison' house now? New tenants?

I like the way you did the back. I was planning to leave mine unfinished in the back like a studio set.

BTW: Your Munsters' house pics made the theme song pop into my head and IT WON'T GO AWAY!!!! :eek:
That 'addition' on the left side of the house was there back in the TGAMC days, but it was in line with the side of the house (rotated 90 degrees clockwise). It was altered in the early 80s when all the Colonial Street house facades were moved to the other side of the back lot.

The house has alwayse been referred to as the "Allison House". The facade was built for the 1946 movie 'So Goes My Love' and was occupied by in the movie by a character with the name Allison- hence the name. The Munster house was referred to as the Maxim house prior to the Munsters series for the same reason.

Yea, it was actually fun to build the houses as facades and weather the back. I also had some pics of the back of the facade to match.

Mark

·
Starship Class
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Bradleyfett said:
That 'addition' on the left side of the house was there back in the TGAMC days, but it was in line with the side of the house (rotated 90 degrees clockwise). It was altered in the early 80s when all the Colonial Street house facades were moved to the other side of the back lot.

The house has alwayse been referred to as the "Allison House". The facade was built for the 1946 movie 'So Goes My Love' and was occupied by in the movie by a character with the name Allison- hence the name. The Munster house was referred to as the Maxim house prior to the Munsters series for the same reason.

Thanks for the info! Fascinating stuff! It's great to have such inside information on those great old sets :thumbsup:

·
Registered
196 Posts
PerfesserCoffee said:
Thanks for the info! Fascinating stuff! It's great to have such inside information on those great old sets :thumbsup:
In the interest of perpetuating this esoteric subject, here is some more info on the GAMC house facade:

I caught a glimpse of a commerical for a a new show premiering on ABC this fall called Desperate Housewives. The show is set on a typical suburban street otherwise known as Colonial Street on the Universal Hollywood backlot. The TGAMC Simmons mansion is still there in the same place it has been since 1981, but it has been changed again-

The familiar Psycho-house-type tower (the one with the oval window) has been removed completly and has been replaced with an different angled roof. The house is also painted yellow. The new tower roof really changes the look of the house- its actually pretty good looking compared to the way it was altered for The Burbs, but now no one would recognize the house as the one from TGAMC.

Other tidbits about the show- the main character lives (dies, actually) in Beaver Cleaver's house (Its actually the house built for the Leave it Beaver movie in 1996, not the one from the original series). In this series, you'll also catch glimpses of the Munsters house and houses built for The Burbs (1989).

Mark

·
Starship Class
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I think I saw the Munster's house on a movie recently: Not Another Teen Movie (or something like that). :confused:

·
Registered
196 Posts
PerfesserCoffee said:
I think I saw the Munster's house on a movie recently: Not Another Teen Movie (or something like that). :confused:
I haven't seen that one, but its possible. I have seen the street show up in a lot of commericals lately too. The new (movie) Cleaver house seems to be getting used a lot lately- it has become the new centerpiece of the street. Probably because its the newest and most detailed set on the street.

Mark

21 - 40 of 51 Posts