Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Starship Class
11,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you out there done the version of the house from 'Psycho' as it was modified for 'The Ghost and Mr. Chicken'?

I'm needing some reference photos of the 'Ghost' version. Using video tape, I've managed to figure out some of the basic rearrangements that were made to the set exterior but there are some details I'm still wondering about especially the balcony and front porch area.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I don't know how much change they did to the actual house. It seems to me they did their best to obscure with the hedge, the fact that their interior-set porch area did not match the real Psycho house. Watch the hedge-lined gateway they are always standing at towards the end of the movie... clearly designed for no other purpose than to let the doorway area show, and the house, not. Neat interior, but I don't feel driven to try and shoehorn it into the "real" house the way I did the Psycho sets...

·
Starship Class
11,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pygar said:
I don't know how much change they did to the actual house. It seems to me they did their best to obscure with the hedge, the fact that their interior-set porch area did not match the real Psycho house. Watch the hedge-lined gateway they are always standing at towards the end of the movie... clearly designed for no other purpose than to let the doorway area show, and the house, not. Neat interior, but I don't feel driven to try and shoehorn it into the "real" house the way I did the Psycho sets...
Yeah, I kinda noticed the obscuring going on there. The best effect was the flashing bright light also hidden by the hedges and trees to simulate lightning flashes.

I was thinking, however, that they used the actual modified house for the up close shots since it seemed kinda jury-rigged with all the extra support columns and such. :confused:

·
Registered
726 Posts
And just FYI the dvd of Ghost and Mr Chicken came out today. :thumbsup:

·
Starship Class
11,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HARRY said:
And just FYI the dvd of Ghost and Mr Chicken came out today. :thumbsup:
OH, JOY, JOY! You have just made my day! That is definitely a 'must-have' DVD!

I'll have to model Don Knotts in an Edsel with that frightened face he puts on! :D

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Coincidence:

I just walked in the door 10 minutes ago with my new copy of THE GHOST AND MR.CHICKEN on DVD! Obviously, I haven't had a chance to watch any of it yet but I was stunned to see that this is a "scope" movie in 2.35:1 widescreen. That means the TV version we've been watching for all these years is chopped up something awful.

Oh yeah...and, of course, time for my brag: I can watch this on my 51" widescreen TV :).

·
Starship Class
11,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Brent Gair said:
Coincidence:

I just walked in the door 10 minutes ago with my new copy of THE GHOST AND MR.CHICKEN on DVD!

Congratulations on your wise purchase!

Obviously, I haven't had a chance to watch any of it yet but I was stunned to see that this is a "scope" movie in 2.35:1 widescreen. That means the TV version we've been watching for all these years is chopped up something awful.
I've always wanted to see it in widescreen. I could tell from the credits at the beginning and end of the 'full screen' editions that I wasn't getting to see all I wanted to.

Oh yeah...and, of course, time for my brag: I can watch this on my 51" widescreen TV :).
You've got me beat there! Mine is only 36" :freak: "'Atta boy, Luther!"

·
Registered
196 Posts
Whoah! Slown down people: You are barking up the wrong tree here. The Simmons Mansion from The Ghost and Mr. Chicken was not a re-use of the Psycho house.

Yes, it has some very similar features, but it was actually another facade house on the Universal backlot. This house was (and still is) on Colonial Street on the UCS backlot.

This and the Munster house were built for a 1946 movie called So Goes My Love. It was also Jimmy Stuart's house in the 1950 movie Harvey. The best place to see a clear view of the house that comes to mind is the 1958 Jerry Lewis movie Rock-a-Bye Baby.

The Psycho house clearly 'borrowed' various elements from this house. In fact, the tower top and upstairs windows seem to be identical. - I have never been able to figure out why or seen any mention of this in books written about the Psycho production. Perhaps these were stock units laying around in the Universal shops at the time- who knows.

The Psycho house has been used in other productions, but TGAMC was not one of them.

Er... I don't want to come off pompass about this one, I just didn't want anyone to go down a wrong road in researching this one. (been ther many time myself!)

Mark

·
Starship Class
11,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bradleyfett said:
Whoah! Slown down people: You are barking up the wrong tree here. The Simmons Mansion from The Ghost and Mr. Chicken was not a re-use of the Psycho house.

. . . The Psycho house clearly 'borrowed' various elements from this house. In fact, the tower top and upstairs windows seem to be identical. - I have never been able to figure out why or seen any mention of this in books written about the Psycho production. Perhaps these were stock units laying around in the Universal shops at the time- who knows.

Hey, Bradleyfett!

Thanks for the info! I think you've got it correct in that there are probably stock units lying around that they use over and over again. The similarity is just too coincidental otherwise.

I certainly have no reason to disbelieve you. You seem to have the facts. I was going on what I had observed in the simillarities and what I read on a website (apparently not too reliable). :thumbsup:

In anycase, I'll still be converting it (seeing as I'm most of the way there already). :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
PerfesserCoffee said:
Hey, Bradleyfett!

Thanks for the info! I think you've got it correct in that there are probably stock units lying around that they use over and over again. The similarity is just too coincidental otherwise.

I certainly have no reason to disbelieve you. You seem to have the facts. I was going on what I had observed in the simillarities and what I read on a website (apparently not too reliable). :thumbsup:

In anycase, I'll still be converting it (seeing as I'm most of the way there already). :D

So you are converting a PL Bates house kit? If so, then you do have a good start. Good luck with the project!

Mark

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Percepto Records has been releasing Vic Mizzy soundtracks, and "The Ghost And Mr. Chicken" is suppose to be released later this year.

David.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I don't know... sure looks like they were neighbors for at least a little while... see the vintage postcard below

I do know they moved the Psycho House all over the backlot at Universal for years.

Cult

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yep, that is the Harvey/TGAMC house (not the Psycho house). It is still on the backlot today next to the Munster house (although they have been rearranged a bit on a new street).

Take a close look at the arrangment of the tower in relation to the wall just to the left of it- the tower sticks out much more on the Psycho house.

Yes, the Psycho house was moved twice since it was built for the movie in 1959. For several years it stood next to the lake where Jaws attacks the tram tour, until it was moved out to a more open area of the backlot for filming of Psycho 2 in the early 80s. This is where it still stands today.

Mark

·
Registered
196 Posts
Here is a picture of the house from Mr. Chicken, Harvey, etc. This is how the house appears on the back lot today. The round window has been removed and various other subtle changes have been made.

Mark

Attachments

·
Starship Class
11,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks, fellows!

The photos and other info is VERY enlightening!

:thumbsup: I can't believe there is so much interest in the old Simmons' mansion but I'm very relieved to find that there are quite a few Don Knotts movie fans out there after all.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I LOVE those movies (Don Knotts is so versatile!). Gotta ask for those for Christmas -- and don't forget The Incredible Mr. Limpit!

:dude:

·
Registered
196 Posts
DR. PRETORIOUS said:
I just got the Ghost & Mr. Chicken, How to Frame a Fig The Reluctant Astronaunt & The Love God yesterday on dvd. :thumbsup:

Don't forget to keep an eye out for the Hill Valley town square from Back to the Future in How to Frame a Fig!

Mark

1 - 20 of 51 Posts