Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new here (see introduction thread)

I have a ton of questions, hopefully someone can shed some light on them..

I'm thinking towards the end of summer I'd like to invest in a small track as space is an issue right now--I have a small area where I set up an 0 gauge train come Christmas and I think I can get a HO set up in there. I was looking at the AW John Force set--it looked pretty cool, here are my questions.

I see in some youtube videos guys putting a "loop" on it--so then it's safe to say I can build anything off of it correct? I just don't want to be limited in the future.

Question 2: What is the general thought on the old Tyco sets? I had them so many times come Christmas and have the remains of the Grand Prix set--for what I'm looking to do with a small set, am I better off finding an old Tyco set or is something like the AW sets much better quality at this point?.....I honestly have no idea how much the hobby progressed since my Tyco days.

3: What is the general thought on Auto World...and why do they have bodies that seem to be taken out of the Hot Wheels catalog?? I actually got a hold of a Mystery Machine and it looks GREAT--I see they have alot of cars I'm crazy about, General Lee, Batmobile...do you feel these cars are worth the money--is AW a "good name" to invest in?

I know that's alot! Thanks so much in advance--this forum is awesome! :thumbsup:

·
Most Interesting Member
6,267 Posts
Old Tyco stuff is good too. If you have some track laying around, try it out.
Not much has changed in the technology, except the introduction of the MegaG from AFX.
They all still run on the same tracks, you still have to keep the tracks clean, it's pretty much the same.
These days, thanks to AutoWorld and some after market bodies, there is more selection of bodies than ever.

Buy whatcha like and have fun. Oh, and don't forget your 40% off coupon from Hobby Lobby. (AWs are there)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Old Tyco stuff is good too. If you have some track laying around, try it out.
Not much has changed in the technology, except the introduction of the MegaG from AFX.
They all still run on the same tracks, you still have to keep the tracks clean, it's pretty much the same.
These days, thanks to AutoWorld and some after market bodies, there is more selection of bodies than ever.

Buy whatcha like and have fun. Oh, and don't forget your 40% off coupon from Hobby Lobby. (AWs are there)
Thanks! Hey it looks like that 40% is ending tomorrow--for that price I might score the Batmobile...where do I get a coupon code that it's asking me for??

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Marty...

Wow, just looking on ebay at some of the AW stuff--I already have the Mystery Machine and it's an incredible looking car, it seems all of their cars are just that cool!

Once they get some kind of Smokey & The Bandit set, K.I.T.T, an A-Team van and Starsky's car.....this could become a slippery slope for me lol.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Hello Jess.....

I moved to north Jersey myself about a year ago.Right now I am in the Stanhope/Byram area.

You really can't go wrong with a Super International set.Matter of fact,my last 16x4 layout was three or four of those sets with the addition of some 18" curves.

I would say first get a set of some sort,whether it be the one mentioned above,or a smaller set.I am actually kind of in between places for who knows how long,but I plan on picking up one of the newer AFX sets just so I can set something up to build some motors.
I like the smaller AFX sets for two reasons.First being that I lost my fancy power supply in a move,and have nothing.I like the new power packs that give you the option to change power settings.And second,I have been dying to get my hands on a couple of Mega G chassis to tear apart and analyze.I just got back into slots again after a three or so year hiatus.

If you are getting started out,this is the place to be.Anything you want to know,any of us here are always more then happy to jump in and help out:wave:

Mike

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello Jess.....

I moved to north Jersey myself about a year ago.Right now I am in the Stanhope/Byram area.

You really can't go wrong with a Super International set.Matter of fact,my last 16x4 layout was three or four of those sets with the addition of some 18" curves.

I would say first get a set of some sort,whether it be the one mentioned above,or a smaller set.I am actually kind of in between places for who knows how long,but I plan on picking up one of the newer AFX sets just so I can set something up to build some motors.
I like the smaller AFX sets for two reasons.First being that I lost my fancy power supply in a move,and have nothing.I like the new power packs that give you the option to change power settings.And second,I have been dying to get my hands on a couple of Mega G chassis to tear apart and analyze.I just got back into slots again after a three or so year hiatus.

If you are getting started out,this is the place to be.Anything you want to know,any of us here are always more then happy to jump in and help out:wave:

Mike
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the info! You're actually west of me but not too far--I'm in Lincoln Park and I have family up in Roxbury. I go on motorcycle rides up 206 on some Sussex Co rds--I'm that way quite often!

Like you, I'm not sure if I'll be here too much longer but I know I wont go far--with that I can buy something, just nothing too big. I remember wanting the Dukes Of Hazard or Batman sets but those look HUGE!!

I just put in a bid for a Tyco Police Pursuit set--I had one when I was a kid and it was about the closest thing to Smokey & The Bandit I could find! No big deal if I don't win the auction--I'll probably look into the International set, or buy the dragstrip and a bunch of extra track.

I had so many of these things and I can't believe how little of them survived my childhood! Odd because I still have so many old action figures and stuff....I'd give my right arm to have my old US-1 Trucking set again...that was a heck of a Christmas!!

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Your in luck I have two sets I will be listing under swap sell. Drop me N email and i will send pics .

Slotnut

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the info! You're actually west of me but not too far--I'm in Lincoln Park and I have family up in Roxbury. I go on motorcycle rides up 206 on some Sussex Co rds--I'm that way quite often!

Like you, I'm not sure if I'll be here too much longer but I know I wont go far--with that I can buy something, just nothing too big. I remember wanting the Dukes Of Hazard or Batman sets but those look HUGE!!

I just put in a bid for a Tyco Police Pursuit set--I had one when I was a kid and it was about the closest thing to Smokey & The Bandit I could find! No big deal if I don't win the auction--I'll probably look into the International set, or buy the dragstrip and a bunch of extra track.

I had so many of these things and I can't believe how little of them survived my childhood! Odd because I still have so many old action figures and stuff....I'd give my right arm to have my old US-1 Trucking set again...that was a heck of a Christmas!!
I lived in Montville once going back about 25 years ago.Im familiar with that whole neck of the woods.Still getting to know Sussex.So far not a fan.

Locally the Hobby shop for me is the Hobbytown in Newton.They have a few sets there,tho a bit pricy.I do a fair amount of biz with them as far as my rc heli stuff so I will probably get a small set there just because.

One thing tho,whenever I am there I pull down and look at the 1/32 scale digital slot stuff.

So tempting right now to switch from HO to the bigger stuff.A whole entirely new world.

But,I am too far into ho to quit now.I would miss it too much and all of the mad cap hi jinx on the HO boards.

Mike

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I lived in Montville once going back about 25 years ago.Im familiar with that whole neck of the woods.Still getting to know Sussex.So far not a fan.

Locally the Hobby shop for me is the Hobbytown in Newton.They have a few sets there,tho a bit pricy.I do a fair amount of biz with them as far as my rc heli stuff so I will probably get a small set there just because.

One thing tho,whenever I am there I pull down and look at the 1/32 scale digital slot stuff.

So tempting right now to switch from HO to the bigger stuff.A whole entirely new world.

But,I am too far into ho to quit now.I would miss it too much and all of the mad cap hi jinx on the HO boards.

Mike

Oh no kidding, then you must know of Zeppellin Hobbies? I've only been in there a few times for some supplies on model kits I was working on and they also ordered me a body for an old RC car I had. I remember the last time I was there I saw all their cool slot stuff--and sloooooooowwwwwy backed out. That's my problem, I like everything here. Slots, diecast, RC, Lionel Trains...1:1 --so many toys and never enough coin lol.

As far as Sussex goes, I hear ya. Nice place to ride a motorcycle through but it seems everything else is miles away from each other. Growing up in W. Orange everything west of me doesnt seem like NJ.

Well the guy took my offer and I'm now the owner of a Tyco Police Pursuit set missing 1 piece of curvature. He wanted 65 and I offered 40...I have a curve so I'm hoping that was a fair price--(I'm an F-Body nut. anything Trans-Am or Bandit related I'm all over).

So now I guess it's onto trading a bunch of stuff I don't want for some cars that I do!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
My advice:

1. Take your time. Nearly everyone who gets into this hobby spends WAY too much at first because they don't know prices, especially if you buy off eBay.

2. If you never had Aurora cars as a kid, then the AW cars are going to be a new experiance. They use a pancake chassis which is a lot of fun, but needs more TLC and tinkering to run as well as an inline car (like Tyco). Pancake chassis are not as fast as inline, nor do they grip the track as well.

3. Used Tyco track can be found just about everywhere. It will probably need cleaning. Some large lots can be very inexpensive.

4. Opinions vary on whether Tyco or Tomy/AW track is better. This is a personal choice. Lifelike track is not usually someone's top choice. Those three are the only tracks easily available.

5. Tyco was bought by Mattel and the line is barely still alive. Bear this in mind.

6. New Tyco/Mattel track and cars are still available. Send me a PM if interested, I'm located only about 15 minutes from you.

Joe

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My advice:

1. Take your time. Nearly everyone who gets into this hobby spends WAY too much at first because they don't know prices, especially if you buy off eBay.

2. If you never had Aurora cars as a kid, then the AW cars are going to be a new experiance. They use a pancake chassis which is a lot of fun, but needs more TLC and tinkering to run as well as an inline car (like Tyco). Pancake chassis are not as fast as inline, nor do they grip the track as well.

3. Used Tyco track can be found just about everywhere. It will probably need cleaning. Some large lots can be very inexpensive.

4. Opinions vary on whether Tyco or Tomy/AW track is better. This is a personal choice. Lifelike track is not usually someone's top choice. Those three are the only tracks easily available.

5. Tyco was bought by Mattel and the line is barely still alive. Bear this in mind.

6. New Tyco/Mattel track and cars are still available. Send me a PM if interested, I'm located only about 15 minutes from you.

Joe
Thanks for the great info Joe, I'll def PM you...are there any good cleaners or will alcohol do?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Thanks for the great info Joe, I'll def PM you...are there any good cleaners or will alcohol do?
Personally, to clean I wipe down the track with alcohol and then sand with very fine sandpaper. Then wipe down with a clean cloth/rag.

Although it sounds like you might want to sand first then use alcohol, I have found this to be a problem with some residue left on the rails. So if you sand after the alcohol, you remove that residue. But there are a number of threads on track cleaning - search for them. You could also use a marble base or sharpening stone to rub down the rails.

For used track, you may have to sand a little harder or use a gritter paper at first for the rails - all depends upon condition. Almost all track is salvageable.

You may also want to clean the contact points with a stone wheel attached to your Dremel. Also make sure the contact points are a little bent so they make good contact with the electric contact points of adjoining tracks.

And as mentioned above, Mattel is selling chassis at $3 a piece. The quality isn't at Tyco standards, but they are cheap. The problem is that there are not a lot of sources for Tyco bodies.

Joe

1 - 20 of 35 Posts