Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know whats going on? I hit four stores today, two Wal marts, and two targets. Not one single Johnnie at any of them, none, nada, zip. And all this while Canada is getting truck loads at many stores?!?!? Also I just don't understand all the problems people are having buying the ones they do find, rediculous prices, not allowed to purchase them, etc, and where are all the rest of them? It's bad enough having to wait for managers, scalpers, and stockers to have there way with them before we get to choose from whats left, but it is getting rediculous. My last two JLs, one I got in a trade, and the other I found dust covered on a Walgreens peg behind some Hot Wheels. I have not found any JLs at a Wally, K-Mart, or Target in weeks. I was lucky enough to find a few $1 JLs at TRU just before Christmas, but even there they have almost nothing now. I have not seen a single new package JL here at all anywhere yet, and all the old ones are gone without a trace. What the heck is going on? I started collecting JLs just a short time ago, couple of months now, but if this is an indication of how they do buisness I may choose another line. Sorry for the rant :freak:

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
MudSlinger said:
It's bad enough having to wait for managers, scalpers, and stockers to have there way with them before we get to choose from whats left
I could not have said it better myself! I left HW years ago over this very issue, and just hate to see JL in the same shape! Trust me, it did not use to be this way. JL was plentyful and life was good!

I could not collect today without the OLD's. Thank goodness we have two FANTASTIC dealers who are very involved on these boards. ( I never know if it is proper to list names, as I do not want to disrespect the other sponsers!)

But nothing is as fun as the natural hunt and thrill of finding a car in the wild. What instant gratifaction!

Sheese! We have GOT to get me a spell checker on this site! :freak:

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I think most of us are going through the same thing. I hit two Targets this week and one had no JL whatsoever. The other had a couple of the Monster's release. One WM has one of the new cars hanging. One WM has three, two being the same Holiday Coke car.

I've seen just one of the new packaged 1/24 on the shelf in one WM, the purple Challenger, which couldn't be bought. If there's 6 cars to a case, where the heck are the other five?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I went to Wl everyday this week hoping to find the buck a car deal, today I decide to take my girl friend out for lunch, Get a call after work telling me that there in 3 other WM's, hop in the car go see a end rack full - 16 pegs
pretty darn full, I see one guy and his girlfriend going threw the stuff - they had no whites, I search and search no WL's. I did buy some 4 I didn't have and some extras for customs and trades. Sorry you guys have it bad, this stuff I got today is not new SF 18 and such. Not bad if your palying catch up but I got most of my stuff from Rob when it came out. Cool to see $1.00 JL's and honestly bought some for the sake of buying them. Sorry for the salt in the wound but, everybody has their days yours will come.

·
Registered
281 Posts
That's what it was like for us awhile back. Very few if any filtering through once in awhile. Now, we get over the top with this sudden influx of cars(old stock). Wanna bet that we don't see the new cars, albeit the problems, for alonnnnnggggg time yet to come. Don't get me wrong I appreciate the cars here but it would be nice to be up to speed with everyone else when they are finding new cases of cars.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey guys, in no way was what I said meant as a shot at Canada, I am very happy for you guys, but at the same time disgusted with whoever is controlling distribution at RC2. So please, don't take what I said as being against anyone from Canada, or Canada, as that was never my intention.

So are BWF series cars showing up too?

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I don't know if this is a RC2 problem or not. There is very little selection of any new diecast right now at most stores. Many stores are doing resets and/ or inventory right now so that may play into it. Also some series of JLs have been reduced to 10000 and 5000.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
less bwf`s = less sales,now hurry up already with some 5 or 10 pack sets at WM. Put them in Plastic also so people can`t buy them for the wl`s,take the wl`s out for e- pay then return them with hw`s inside for a full refund.
Herbie stuff,dukes of hazzard stuff will really sell. So get the product in the stores.I know the dukes of hazzard series is coming but after a while most of that case will hanging except for the general lee. SO offer full cases of just the general lee`s at WM.This would sell out so quick it would be an instant sales hit.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I agree. The current distribution practices seem pretty out of whack. I thought that RC2 had cancelled the rest of 2006 mid-year so that they could clear out all the excess stock. I hardly saw any of the older releases - just a few two-packs and then a few of the .97 clearance items. No explanation of where this excess stock was going. And now with the re-introduction of the new releases. Out supposedly since December - but where are they? A few CARS assortments here and there scattered throughout the market, but totally inconsistent, even among the stores, WM, Target, etc. And absolutely nothing at TRU. Wouldn't a re-intro in early to mid-December dictate a strong push for Christmas sales? And again, no explanation of where the stock is. Maybe somebody knows :confused: :drunk:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Just read the article that Inciteful posted.

Article said:
...its 2006 earnings would be far lower than expected due to slow sales. McGowan attributed the disappointing sales to lower-than-expected reorders at Toys R Us and the cost for zinc, which is used to make die-cast products.
Not too surprising considering they decided to cancel the better part of half the release year including the Christmas season which accounts for a vast majority of yearly sales. Who would want to re-order? Anybody know if similar cancellations were in order for RC2's other brands last year? Not trying to be negative, because in my book, nothing compares to JL and I will buy them till the cows come home (gotta find them first). Just wondering why RC2 hasn't chosen to share some info with it's customers :(

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I sure wish that Ertl, AMT & JL had been bought by a company that better understands marketing, distribution, and collectors in general.

I can't believe that a company can make such great products that so many people want but still simply cannot get.

The whole fiasco about not letting Wal Mart sell the new JLs to interested customers this year has got to be the most ridiculous marketing blunder that I've ever heard of.

What are we supposed to do?

We want to give them money for products that they won't let us buy!!

I really can't imagine a valid business explanation for that.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
rlyoung1 said:
There was an interesting comment made by Fred from 1 Stop over at Joe's about a rumor in reference to the future of JL.
Good discussions and comments there. Kind of disheartening thinking that the plug could have already been pulled and we will get to find out about it blindside-fashion somewhere down the line.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sad thing is I really like their die cast cars, far more than any other 1/64 scale manufacturer out there. I cant stand to see a great looking car with dub style rims on them, that is not a realistic look for a muscle car, or most cars for that matter. Jada, Maisto, and the others are all putting these style oversized rims and tires on there cars that just look rediculous to me, and I just will not buy them. I would hate to see JLs "repositioned" or as they stated "geared towards younger consumers", because there really arent many choices for realistic looking 1/64 scale size cars.

Also, If the cost of zinc is going up why redo the packaging to have 20 times the amount of plastic than the older cardboard style packages adding unnecessary cost to the product? Now the cost to produce the packaging as well as the casting itself has gone up, thereby cutting profits, or causing them to raise the cost, which essentially will decrease sales, and again lower profits? not a smart decission. Nor was not getting the new product or much of any product in the market in time for Christmas. Looks like whoever is in the drivers seat at RC2 is asleep at the wheel.

·
Registered
105 Posts
rlyoung1 said:
There was an interesting comment made by Fred from 1 Stop over at Joe's about a rumor in reference to the future of JL.
Does anyone have a link to Joe's? I'm not familiar with this site.

Dave

1 - 20 of 66 Posts