Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some of you may remember me.I used to post quite a bit here up until about three years ago,when some major life changes forced me to put my slot habit on a back burner.

Sadly,I had to leave behind the 16x4 Tomy layout that I had just finished after working on for about three years.Man was that hard!:cry::cry:But I did learn a lot,main thing being that next time I will save a lot of time and money and just buy a maxx track and be ahead of the game.

I've been messing around with rc helicopters for awhile now.Its a whole new challenge,and I certainly have learned a lot doing it.

But I miss standing in my basement at three in the morning in my boxers and slippers,wearing a pair of those old man reading glasses(smudged)and trying to get that brush tension on a tjet chassis just right or trying to tweak just one more .01 of a second out of a magnet car.

Fortuinately I saved all of my slot stuff minus the track of course.So I think it's time to get back into it again.I guess when you were fortunate enough to have a really nice track like I did,it's hard to go backwards and have track set up on the floor and nothing permanent.

It is what it is at the moment,so in the next few days,I plan on picking up a small Tomy set and get going again.Most times it's just me anyways.

Building motors has always been my thing,and some of you may remember some of the stuff I used to come up with to balance my own arms,and I was into winding and balancing my own for a bit as well.

Probably get heavily back to my childhood slot car roots again with tjets,I want to put together some fray type cars,and then,hopefully,find some like minded guys near me and maybe do some racing.

So a question to start........

I have been doing the majority of my computing for the last three or four months on an iPad.I love it.the ability to use it for my guitar playing and recording is amazing.
At any rate,if I am building cars,then I need to be able to time them.Anything out there as far as lap timers for slots that works with the iPad?
Or how about some sort of stand alone lap counter?Google pulls up a bunch,but easier to ask you guys.

Ive been in and out of slots a few times since I started.Got my first set around '67.The last time I got back in,I went in full bore and built what I thought was my dream track.The Next track will be the dream track.The last was a warm up.

Not having a ball and chain anymore means no limitation.:hat::rolleyes::hat:

Nice to be back.Look forward to participating in the banter again..:wave:

I forgot how much I missed coming here and participating.:eek:

Mike

·
Registered
998 Posts
If you are looking for track, a lot of it goes just for the shipping cost on the for sale forum.

Just a thought.

Good to have you back,
Old Blue

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Ask yourself....does the slot hobby ever really leave our veins?

You never really left Mike....you just werent present!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
back for more!!

hi mike good to have u back here. sounds like u have it in yer fingers to route a trak. you can make yer own dream trak for under 400 $$ thats like rails, power source, and mdf and maybe a week of yer time. but most of all you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself!! looking foward to seeing some builds

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just joined here .......

but after reading this:

But I miss standing in my basement at three in the morning in my boxers and slippers,wearing a pair of those old man reading glasses(smudged)and trying to get that brush tension on a tjet chassis just right or trying to tweak just one more .01 of a second out of a magnet car.

...... I know I'll fit right in! :)

I work till very late usually and come home and run the cars for a few minutes at 3 or 4am.
Not in my boxers..... yet.

·
Villain
4,632 Posts
but after reading this:

I thought it was just me. lmao.
Welcome urnuts, and welcome back Mike

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
welcome back!

I know how you feel! I had a 20x4 track I had to sell as we are trying to move!
I miss standing thee running laps and tweaking the car

fray t-jets
yeah, the wold of i built these 2 cars exactly the same! why is 1 much faster than than the other! LOL

welcome back

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
welcome back!

I know how you feel! I had a 20x4 track I had to sell as we are trying to move!
I miss standing thee running laps and tweaking the car

fray t-jets
yeah, the wold of i built these 2 cars exactly the same! why is 1 much faster than than the other! LOL

welcome back
welcome back 2 "The 'Ol-Jeezer's Club" :wave:

Bubba 123 :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
LOL,you were missed Mike,good to have you back:thumbsup:

Sorry to here about things going south on the home front,that's never good on a guy.

Did you have to move.

The first thing i thought of,was moving your basement,i remember the last pic's i seen of it,lol:wave:

Rick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts