Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a make that is SORELY lacking in the diecast world......and I don't know why. :confused: Castline is the only company that would do justice to Imperials, IMO. To me, the soon-to-be-released '61 Chrysler 300F gives me hope that perhaps we'll see some early 60's Imperials (my personal preference compared to earlier Imperials). I would gladly welcome the mid 60's to early 70's models, of course. And being the owner of a gorgeous 1971 model, we know Lummox's stance on this issue! ;)
Check out this beauty - wouldn't a 1:64 version be a great addition to your collection?

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
My guess as to why Imperials are lacking in the diecast world, is that the industry thinks everyone but the fogies would be lost on what they were, and therefore wouldn't buy them. Imperials were long gone by the time I came around, but I know what they are. The perception is that it's a long lost brand with no fan base. And most of them are pre-60's cars, and you know how hard to come by that era was before Castline - in 1:64 anyway, no matter what car you were looking for, short of a '59 Cadillac.

The thing is, people who buy adult collectibles would know what they are, and would scoop them up as much as they would any 300 car. Those old Imperials are so ornate, they would really put M2 to the test.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I still would love to see a 1970-1971 Plymouth Sport Fury/S-23 done by M2. Know the simliar Chrysler 300-Hurst is more unlikely die to the unique hood and spoiler but one can still hope...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
That 61 looks cool. I would buy a few.

Which begs the question...what was the last car to sport the big fins from the 50s?

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
We Need '60s Floats BADDLY!

Which begs the question...what was the last car to sport the big fins from the 50s?
I think the last hold out for a finned US car was the 1964 Cadillacs.
But technically you could say it was 1965.
In '65 Cadillac decided that they didn't sell enough 75 Series limosines to warrent all new tooling, so for the '65 75 Series limos, they just carried over the '64 body tooling for '65. Not a common known fact!

Euro cars hels out a bit longer.
The "Fin Body" Mercedes as it is called ran all the way through till 1967 I think.

The '56 'Vette may have been the first US car to revert back to no fins, then the '60 Falcon followed.

Sean, Give us some Imperials pretty please!!!
Many of us fellas are dyin' for some more BIG floats!
'60 to '73. Anywhere in there would be awesome.

Of course Mark, this just might be the best threar idea in the history of Hobby Talk! :) :)

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Cadillacs continued the fins into the late 60's, although they were smaller each year. Imperials had fins through 63. I sold Chryslers back then and we weren't an Imperial dealer until 1971. People usually love them or hated them, nothing in-between. The 1957s fell apart in the showroom and were plagued by water leaks. For many people a 57 would be their last. After 57, Imperial had some good years, quality-wise and some bad one. But after 57, they never really sold in volume.
If M2 makes one, I'll buy it but are plenty of other makes I'd rather see.

·
Premium Member
13,378 Posts
If M2 makes a 1961 Imperial, I hope they release it in black instead on green.

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
Cadillacs continued the fins into the late 60's, although they were smaller each year.
The Cadillac fins subsided very slowly, but as Lummox mentioned, the Series 75's of 1965 would have been the last of the actual fins. After that, they were replaced with a fin-like body contour and the soon to be trademark vertical blade rear lights which lasted for over twenty five years, and influences Cadillac design to this day. So in essence, you could say the fins made an impact on Cadillac that can still be seen.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
The Cadillac fins subsided very slowly, but as Lummox mentioned, the Series 75's of 1965 would have been the last of the actual fins. After that, they were replaced with a fin-like body contour and the soon to be trademark vertical blade rear lights which lasted for over twenty five years, and influences Cadillac design to this day. So in essence, you could say the fins made an impact on Cadillac that can still be seen.
For that matter, look at the rear taillights of the new Chrysler 300 and see if you don't see some 'fin' influence. And I actually kind of like it - at least it isn't the 'looks like they melted under the sun' aerodynamic commonality we see on most modern cars.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Cadillacs continued the fins into the late 60's, although they were smaller each year.
By that rationale, you could say Cads had fins through the '80s.

After the '64s, most Caddy guys never realy thought of them as real fins (in the classic sence, but I respect your opinion, I guess they are technically "fins" in a way, and as Full Flapps! mentioned, it's sort of a styling que that still exists. All depends apon what you call a real fin I guess!

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
That's quite a cool barge you got there Ray!
You collection of Brooklin cars spans many makes and models you don't ever see.

That Imperial looks really short from the B post forward though. :eek:
Unusual for that brand to get the proportions wrong!
And i was shocked to hear you might be selling them all, I never would've thought you would!

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
You've got my vote for some Imperials!

Being the huge fin fan that I am, I would absolutely buy that '61. I could just imagine how much fun it'd be to cruise around in a 1:1 too!

·
Premium Member
13,378 Posts
That's quite a cool barge you got there Ray!
You collection of Brooklin cars spans many makes and models you don't ever see.

That Imperial looks really short from the B post forward though. :eek:
Unusual for that brand to get the proportions wrong!
And i was shocked to hear you might be selling them all, I never would've thought you would!

Best picture I can find for comparison Dave. Remember, the camera angle of each picture is different, and the Brooklin Model isn't up to current Brooklin standards.

I though about putting Bare-Metal Chrome on the trim.

[I

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
For that matter, look at the rear taillights of the new Chrysler 300 and see if you don't see some 'fin' influence. And I actually kind of like it - at least it isn't the 'looks like they melted under the sun' aerodynamic commonality we see on most modern cars.
Yeah, that's a design element that I appreciate. Not too bad for a modern car.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Best picture I can find for comparison Dave.
Thanks Ray, those pix really illustrate the problem well.
Looks like the nose and the rear clip are right on, it's the area between the front edge of the door to the rear wheel that's way too short.

Most of the Brooklins you've showed over the years are great. I can see why you like'em, but just about all of them could use bare metal foil as you said.
Out of your many, many Brooklins, this is the only one I've noticed any problem with the proportions.
That's a mighty fine track record!!!
;wave:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts