Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m considering getting back into racing and have a few questions regarding various aspects of the hobby now. It’s been about 8 or 9 years since I’ve touched a controller and just from one trip to the local Hobby Town, I can tell a lot has changed since I raced last.

Locally we have a track that gets set up in the asphalt parking lot at HT and a permanent dirt track just outside of town. I would like to start racing in the electric stadium truck class but have many questions.

First is truck choice. I have looked pretty close at the Traxxas Rustler and like what I see. I like the brushless version just for the power the brushless systems put out. I would rather have a car that allows for greater set up adjustment built in. Speed means nothing if you can’t control it (that still hasn’t changed over the years at least) I would like to have an overall good car that can adapt for dirt or asphalt by changing out some items such as tires and shocks/springs.

Secondly is batteries: LiPo? When the guy started telling me about LiPo this and that I told him I was looking for batteries not a tummy tuck! LOL Either way what brand are you guys running now days? They had a couple options but said the venom’s were big sellers as well as the venom chargers. Which lead to my next question.

Chargers? What brand is best without breaking the bank now days? I would prefer to have the power supply built in.

Next it electrical connections, back in the day we soldered everything. Now it looks as if most are using the connectors, have they improved that much?

Sorry for the long post but I appreciate any advice you can give an old dog in his quest for the finish line.

·
Registered
538 Posts
if you are real serous bout racin truck i would get a t4 or losi xxxcr alot more tunin can be done to these trucks then the traxxas trucks next for a charger i would go with a duratrax onyx charger they are real good chargers and you dont need a power supply for them next for batts you will get a million differnt awnsers for that one i always had good luck with orion batts the 4800 and for connections mostly everybody is usein deans for there batts and speeddos hope this helps alittle bit

·
Registered
386 Posts
As far as the truck goes, buy what you like and can afford. The rustler is not a bad truck. I've been into this hobby for 14 years and I've had almost everyhting out there and have always liked them due to their reliability and cost. They take a beating, which is good if you're getting into rc, and they're cheap to repair and parts are readily available at most hobby shops. If you're looking for speed, you can do a lot better than the VXL, but it may be a good system to start with. Faster isn't always faster! Take it easy to start, you'll break less and play more that way! The XXXTs and T4s are great trucks too, and parts are always available, but they're a little more expensive. You can find them in brushless versions too, or buy a kit or used one and install the motor and esc you want. LiPo seems to be the most prominent type of battery around right now, and for good reason. They have a longer cycle life than NiMH and NiCd, and are slightly more powerful. For your application, use a 2-cell, and I would recommend 4000-5400 mAh (depending how long you want to run) with a 20-30c rating. Brand doesn't matter, as all LiPos are made by 2 different companies, and the distributors put their logos on them and sell them as theirs. Orion, Reedy, Venom, SMC.... all the same. If you go LiPo, make sure you buy a LiPo compatible charger. Most brands I've tried work well. Stay with a name brand like Venom, Duratrax, Orion, Losi... you get the idea. But stay away from MRC. I've had several different models and have had nothing but problems with all of them. Well, I certainly hope this has been helpful to you and I didn't just waste my time! If you need any more advice let me know. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Run away from the Rustler. VXL is mod class. You should start in stock motor classes.

Get away from hobby town and head to your local race track and watch some races. Ask around.

Start with better equipment so you won't have to buy new trucks as your skill improves. Or if your track has a popular SCT/Corr/Slash class get a RTR Slash, SC10, or Blitz. Slash/Corr/SCT is the perfect kind of class to start in, if your track has it.

But if your going to run stock 2wd truck:

Look at the AE RC10t4.

Novak Havok with Balistic 13.5 or 17.5 (depending on which motor is stock at your track.)

Hakko 936 soldering iron

Traxxas Slash servo, or if you want absolute steering perfection Hitec 7955, 7950 or 7940 servos.

batteries:http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=8357 (get 3)

or

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9435
(note that the wire come out the side and that you'll have to notch the chassis of most offroad cars so the wires clear the battery box....its not a big deal if you have a dremel.

charger:http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=7523

or

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7028

powersupply (if you race indoors, outdoors just use a 12v car battery): http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9205

You can cheap out on the batteries/charges and still get quality from hobbycity, but you'll be better in the long run with a good KIT like the RC10t4. (deosn't really need to be the factory team model)

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
DON'T JUMP!!!!
Take the time to do the research.
The Slash is the best bang for your buck in RC right now. Other Short course trucks are just as fun to race and bash.
If a Stadium Truck is your choice, You can't miss with Losi, Kyosho or Associated. The Rustler is VERY entry and you will probably outgrow it very quickly if you have previous race experience.
You have been out for 8 or 9 years... Any 17.5 brushless will blow you away. The Tekin is very nice, but all are competitive and reliable. What has really changed since you have been away is electronics and batteries.
So DON'T JUMP... do some research, get the best you can afford. Look for used vehicles on this swap and sell board and others like it on rctech.net and rccaraction. You can get back in with less money that way.
Chargers. Get AC/DC. There are MANY to choose from. Virtually every manufacturer has a high quality charger that is compatible with all battery types.
Batteries. SAME thing. NiMh are still competive, but LiPO's are taking over. More voltage, lighter and better run times. You need a Lipo compatible charger. Get one that will charge at 5 amps or more.
Like one poster said. Go to your local track and see what people are running, What local hobby shops support with parts. That way you will have set up help and parts support.
Hope this helps get you started.
Welcome Back!!!
Dan

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help guys. I have decided on the T4 for a truck. It has a lot of local support in other racers plus at the the local shop. The SC trucks just aren't running here and there is only one at the track being used in the sportsman class by a newbie. I have been looking at a few good used factory T4's but the guy at the shop is ready to make me a deal on a new kit so I may go that way. Most of the brushless cars running at the local track are mambas but after talking with a consistent winner, i think i'm going with the Novak system. I've looked at a couple differant radios but have decided on a Futaba with the channel scanning feature. I've got good feedback on a Venom charger but also on one posted in the links above. Still undecided on batts but the orions are looking good along with the losi's.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Do not rule out used gear off the boards here.

I have gotten some very nice deals and cars / trucks that have been dialed and really race friendly.

Look at feedback and ask around on sellers.

Good luck and have some fun!!

I have a T4 and I like it a lot.

:thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts