Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Getting A Grip On Your Hot Wheels Collection

I have begun to make a conserted effort to get a grip on my Hot Wheels Collection.
I am using a 3X5 Index Card setup to make a printed record of each Hot Wheels in my collection.
I have set up the 3X5 Index car template on Microsoft Works Word Processor and then enter the
information along with a photo of each Hot Wheels into the template, then print each one
out onto a 3X5 card.

I am real 'high tech' at doing this too- I use a small section of Scotch Transparent tape doubled
over to hold a 3X5 card on a piece of paper, then print the 3X5 template for each Hot Wheels out
on the 3X5 card by centering it on the paper and running it through my computer.

That's the 'cheapest' way I have found to print out 3X5 Index cards without having to buy them
especially made to runthrough a printer. I can then file them by year into a 3X5 Index Card box.

I am interested in seeing/hearing any of you Hot Wheels fanatics method of cataloging your
Hot Wheels collections as well, so reply to this thread with your Hot Wheels cataloging method!

:thumbsup:​

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
I like the idea of cataloguing especially with pictures.
Several years ago, I began writing one-line entries into a spiral notebook. Including basic description of each model, series, year of release, even country of manufacture.

I had far fewer cars then, but like any journal you have to keep on it even when you don't feel like writing. I slacked off on adding entries, so it's not something I've done for a long time. But my long term goal is the same, to have a photographic catalogue of the entire collection. Not digital but in hard copy, like your cards. Cool stuff Tracker!

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
That looks like a good idea.
I have the "old school" Excel spreadsheet method.
My thought is "if it works well for you" then do it.
Any idea of how many you have and how long it might take for you to do it?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whoa....

That looks like a good idea.
I have the "old school" Excel spreadsheet method.
My thought is "if it works well for you" then do it.
Any idea of how many you have and how long it might take for you to do it?
At this point, too many to count and no way to make a time determination. I'll do them as I feel like doing a few at a time. First five (5) were done yesterday.

:dude:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Kinda of on the fence on this, love the idea, but seems like alot of work, untill you get it all done then it is just up keep

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
wow...., you are so serious about this business! you must be proud of your self ! thumb up for you :)
passion ... checked
money... checked
time ... checked
anything else :)

i made myself simple website, http://hotwheels.byethost32.com
it is free website, but somehow, sometimes it is down, so i make the very simple one at https://sites.google.com/site/hotwheels1314
i try to host it at google sites, but i still learn how to do it over there.
the main purpose i made in this way because till now i don't have dedicated room to display my collection.
so when ever i want see them, i just look it from anywhere i want :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I don't keep track outside of my head. As some lady once told me The more you tighten your grip, the more Hot Wheels will slip through your fingers.

·
Premium Member
9,799 Posts
I have a good memory of which hotwheels I already have and which ones I don't. So I don't have to worry about doing online documents or doing a spreadsheet.

·
Administrator
37,042 Posts
Eventually you are going to reach a point where you cant remember it all, though (Or it will take longer to remember!)

I have always kept lists and now I use the excel spreadsheet software program and flikr to keep the related photo refrerences - excel never forgets!

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,828 Posts
I have an Excel file which I am behind on as a legacy file.
For every day use I have shared before which is Evernote. It is transferable across os platforms but mostly I use it on my phone when I am in stores so I can quickly check if I have a car I am looking it. I can add tags to the entries to make for more robust searches but the regular database search functions are pretty good. The downside is the app cost about $70 year and inputting the data. I have spent about 2 years and have almost 6,000 entries with photos.

A word of warning. If using an excel database keep a backup copy. I lost mine once.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have a pretty good idea of what I have in my collection so it's not a big deal right now but just in case I take pictures of everything I get while it's still carded. I keep a folder on both my laptop and phone of all the pictures. I've only had to use it once or twice but it was nice to be able to whip out my phone at the store and check to make certain whether I had a certain one or not.

·
Registered
758 Posts
My solution is that I only collect 7 or 8 current castings, so I know what I have with those. I also collect vintage redlines which I take a pic of each one and post in my photobucket. I have them all organized by year and casting.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have no form or catalog for my collection. I just take a weekend each month and go through everything to see what I have/don't have.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Just an MS Excel file for me, a tab for each year 1996-current, and a tab for anything older than that. I am a couple months behind on it, I need it updated.

·
Lookout the Mac is Back!!
8,413 Posts
I have too many to start now.....not enough time....nor enough want to do.....

Plus this way every once in a while when looking for something I get a big surprise and it is almost like getting a new HW car!!!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Over time that will change. LOL
It might, but some folks have a savant-like ability to remember certain specific things in mind-boggling detail. Maybe he'll forget useless things like where his keys are, or if the stove was left on, but never lose track of which Hot Wheels cars he's already got and which ones he needs. :lol:

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Been Tweeking The Catalog Card Format A Little....

And I've Finally got it down to a format I like. Comments?
(I'm just doing a few of these a day to have something to do too!)

:grin2:​

1 - 20 of 28 Posts