Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,
I thought I'd share my latest Auto Parts store find...
It's a 9" LED strip under the OPTX brand made by streetgow (www.streetglow.com)

I know, nothing new so far... I was originally looking for trek lighting but these (they come two to a pack) just happen to be the perfect solution for you Millineum Falcon builders out there because the strip is the right length, is bendable (to a point, you can't fold it ), is a bright blue and is already designed to run on 12v with no other wiring needed ('sept power and a switch)

I thought about the down side of LED strips - namely the uneven light coverage - but if you are putting this in the Fine Molds Falcon like I did, the "grill" piece breaks up the light anyway and hides the bright spots. here are some pics. taken with and without room lighting.

I put foil tape inside the "engine box" they give you but I didn't include any of the other engine pieces. I also added a frosted piece of really thin clear styrene right behind the grill to further diffuse the light.

the ship still has a way to go yet, but I thought some of you might want to know about this easy way to get a really nice engine effect

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
and is already designed to run on 12v with no other wiring needed ('sept power and a switch)

For the electrically challenged among us, how do you power the thing? I actually looked at those a few weeks back, but I wasn't sure how you could power it short of wiring it up to a car battery. Do you run it off batteries?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
more power to you

Marlowe,
I typically use a 12v transformer (one of them big ol "wall warts")
here's a pic. "So simple a caveman could....heyyyyyyyyy.."

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Thanks!

Two wires? I might be able to handle that!

Your Falcon is looking great :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Whats the transformer run, Lou?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Lucky me an Autozone only a block away from my house...

I bet if you see a series resister on that strip you could use a lower value by replaceing it with a lower value resister and then resolder it....and thus operate it at a lower voltage. Like say 6 volts DC.

DLM

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the transformer is 24.95 at radio shack

12V/1500mA AC-to-DC Power Adapter
Model: 273-1779 | Catalog #: 273-1779

but I share it with a few kits. I don't have one for each kit I make. what I like about it is that you can different ends for it for different types of power connections and it's beefy enough to handle the big lighting kit draws without dimming the lights.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts