Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On October 8th, 2006 Sunday Hobby Planet in Jacksonville, Fl. will be holding the First Annual Boggy Creek Charity Race. As soon as the flyer is done I will post it up for everybody to see.

There will be 4 classes of racing on this day they are:

Supertrucks
NASCAR
Prosche Club
Prototypes

The entry is as follows:
1-class $20.00
2-class $15.00
3-class $10.00
4-class $5.00

All race entries will be going towards Boggy Creek.

As soon as I get additional information I will post it.

The contact is Speedy Gonzales at: [email protected]

So lets have a great turn out for the 1st Annual Boggy Creek Race!

:wave:

·
Banned
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to let everybody, know the flyer is done. I will post it up later this evening or tomorrow. Lets have a good turnout for this event, remember guys its for charity.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Here's a downloadable image file of the sign up sheet for the First Annual Boggy Creek Charity Race. Instructions for printing it are below. Just show up at the shop on October 8th with your sheet and your money, or send it in to the address on the sheet.

Open the folder containing the image in Window Explorer.
Right-click the image, select "Print".
Click Next.
Make sure the image is selected, then click Next again.
Make sure your printer is selected and the correct printing preferences, then click Next.
Select "full page fax print", click Next.
Select "Finish" while it prints.

·
Banned
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ATTENTION:

We will be racing a practicce race on SUNDAY October 1st. THIS WILL BE A PRACTICE RACE! We will be running the 4 classes that will be ran on Sunday October 8th. The classes we will race for this practice will be Porsche Club, Supertrucks, NASCAR, and Prototypes.

The format will be annouced later this week. I need to confirm the format and length of each timed segment.

·
Banned
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just to let everybody know, I stopped by the shop last night and saw all the great stuff for the raffle we'll be having on the 8th of October. There is some very outstanding stuff in the raffle, items donated from Hoosier Racing, Lexus, Brumos Porsche, NCS Distributing, Scalextric and more!

Be sure to stop by this Sunday for a practice race starting at 1:00 pm.

See you at the track!

Henry

·
Banned
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Brumos Daytona Prototype number 59 will be on display in front of Hobby Planet on Sunday October 8th, 2006. So stop on by look at the 59 prototype and join in on the racing action.

Also some of the drivers from the Grand American Series will be there racing with us. So why not test your skill and ability against the pro's. Let's see who has it and who doesn't?

See you there,.......

·
Banned
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a reminder this Sunday,..is the warm up race for next Sunday,..so be there before 1:00 PM,..that when we start,....at 1:00pm,..

See you at the track,.....

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hank80 said:
Just a reminder this Sunday,..is the warm up race for next Sunday,..so be there before 1:00 PM,..that when we start,....at 1:00pm,..

See you at the track,.....
I've got my computer and camera ready to record the pre-race race, and will post a report as soon as I can when the day is done!

·
Registered
401 Posts
BOGGY CREEK PRE-RACE TEST RACE

Notes

We opened up the shop early, around 10:30am, to clean up the track and get it in top shape. This involved using an eraser and lighter fluid to clean the track braid, as well as a vacuum. We also used a special tool to run through the track braids and click things back into shape, which tends to help the track's consistency.

J.C. France, driver of the Brumos #59 Porsche, showed up early to get his cars set up and grab some time testing on the track. A lot of us got in some early practice time, checking our set ups and trying to figure out how to smooth out any weaknesses in our cars or driving. The track was opened up to the public for some time while we were doing sign ups for the day. Also during this time, Henry put together some 25 ohm controllers, and four 25 ohm controllers were hooked up to the track for the drivers to use. During this period, Tom and Erik set up J.C.'s Porsche 911 for him to use for the day (they also had already set up his special Brumos Porsche for October 8th, and are in the process of setting up a Slot.it Lancia for him).

Qualifying started at 2pm. I wasn't able to get the full qualifying results, just the race results. So, without further ado, on to the races!

Results

Super Trucks were up first. The trucks are a local favorite, fun to run, difficult to run, and when they deslot, they deslot big time! The race was exciting as always, with trucks coming off the track and going back on. "Team Chiquita Banana", as the two yellow Sisu trucks of JP and Erik are known, took the early lead and never looked back. They were also the only trucks to have no significant troubles during the race! Kyle's truck took a heavy tumble and lost parts of its body. Tom's truck lost a wheel and that spelled the end of its race. The only problems for the two leaders were a wheel popping off mid-race for Erik (it was easily correctable), and JP taking a roll down the main straight into the scoring bridge. The results of the race:

Super Trucks
1.JP 142
2.Erik S 137
3.Henry 125
4.Tom S 90 - truck problems
5.Kyle P 60 - destroyed truck

Porsche Cup was next, featuring the Porsche 911 GT3R's. This was also J.C.'s first race, with an older Scalextric Porsche 911. The Porsches looked fast, and there were a few tumbles. Erik took off right out of the gates, with a ridiculously fast Porsche and a lot of luck. The other drivers had a number of problems with handling and just plain bad luck, giving them an idea of the kinds of things to look for when setting up for next Sunday. This was a perfect example of the use of this practice race for the drivers. A few Porsches lost their wings, including Tom's wing going off twice, despite being glued in place. The end results were:

Porsche Cup
1.Erik S 180
2.JP 164
3.Tom S 157
4.Henry 144
5.JC 131

Next up was the NASCAR race, the closest race of the bunch by far! This race was survival of the lucky, and that's how it ended up. Erik looked slow in the early going, but kept his car out of trouble and was lucky enough to not be taken out too often. JC looked really strong, but ended up dropping out of the race with a shot gear. Bob and Kyle entered their final heat 38 and 41 laps behind Erik's final total, respectively, but both had some problems during the race. Bob ended the race just 3/4 of a lap behind. Tom's car had some small troubles and ended up finding a lot of other driver's wrecks, which caused him to drop a little behind, but he finished just seven laps behind, and should be set for a good run next Sunday. Henry seemed to have some handling problems, and played it safe as well as he could so he'd be able to keep his car for the big race.

NASCAR
1.Erik S 166
2.Bob P 166
3.Kyle P 165
4.Tom S 159
5.Henry 145
6.JC 116 - gear problems

Last were the Protoypes. The final racing order was the qualifying order. There was trouble early for Tom and Erik with loose cars breaking out. Erik's first heat on yellow saw him deslotting a number of times, especially in the loop. His Porsche 956C even wiped out the spectators in the loop twice during the race! However, Henry's 962C had a wire pull right off of the motor, and he had to solder it on mid-race, and JP had his crown gear move and destroyed itself. Both cars were repaired before the night was over, and both Tom and Erik were looking into getting their cars tuned up for maximum performance.

Prototype
1.Tom S 161
2.Erik S 160
3.Henry 148 - engine wire
4.JP 98 - stripped gear

It was an exciting day of racing for everyone, and a great way to test the cars for those who showed up. The rules worked well, and next weekend should be even more interesting for all the drivers participating. Hopefully, we'll see some of you at the track as well!

·
Banned
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
ROLL CALL FOR THE 1ST ANNUAL BOGGY CREEK CHARITY RACE! ! !

Who is going to be there for this Sunday's 1st Annual Boggy Creek Charity Race?

Who will be running what class? Who has it and who doesn't?

I am in for the following: Nascar, Porsche Club (GT3R), Prototype, and SuperTrucks.

JP is in for all 4 classes.

Who else? ? ? ?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm in for all four classes, and I even glued my wings back on so they'd be there too!

·
Registered
444 Posts
That pre-race race was great fun, I've got some pics to post in a little while. Meeting J.C. France was cool, and after a few minutes he kind of blends in as "one of the guys" and doesn't stand out at all, which is quite nice. I lost my poor Porsche 911's wing, and my Porsche 956C lost its rear wing assembly again (despite being superglued, Tenax'd, *and* epoxied together). The races were pretty fun, and I learned a lot about what to do for next weekend. I was even changing up some set-ups last night on my cars, tweaking things to make them better. I especially had work to do in NASCAR and Prototypes, because my NASCAR ran pretty slow (but stayed out of trouble), and the 956C was way too tail happy. It managed to wipe out the spectators twice during the race, smack Speedy's hand once, and wipe out the spectators twice during practice, one time riding up onto the chest of a boy who was standing too close and watching (no harm was done, though, he put the car back on the track and stepped back).

·
Registered
444 Posts
Alright, I promised you pics, and you'll get them!

Pre-race practice! The kid at the left in the row of drivers wasn't in the race, he was just trying out a car he wanted to buy. The guy in the yellow shirt is J.C., and the guy in the white shirt is JP.

The end of the first heat, beginning of the second heat during the truck race, with things extremely close. That's Kyle on the inside (red truck), then JP, then my dad (Tom S.).

The end of the second truck heat. My dad's truck came through the turn just as the red flag came out, and Henry's truck coasted into the turn behind it and gave it a nice tap in the side.

Start of the Porsche race. Left to right, that's my dad, JP, Henry, and me.

End of one of the later heats in the Porsche race. The blue Porsche is J.C.'s Porsche he was running for the day so he didn't take a chance on beating up his special October 8th Porsche.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Had to cut up my reply because of the pictures. Here's the rest:

Start of the NASCAR race! Left to right, that's my dad, Kyle, Bob, and me.

Between heats during the NASCAR race.

During the NASCAR race, Kyle was checking up on his cars, and JP decided it was a good chance for a picture!

And finally, some photos of the post-Prototype carnage. You read above the description of JP's gear coming apart. Well, I've got the photographic proof to show you the after-effects on those of us having to ride through the lane it happened on. This is my dad's Lancia after the race. His final heat went through that lane.

This is one of the rear tires. The other looked the same. When I saw light reflecting off of a brass-looking tire, I knew something was up. I just didn't realize how bad it was.

Taking a look up toward the front. The shavings got up onto the bottom of the car, and you can actually see where the brushes were sweeping brass shavings back and forth.

Inside the rear of the car, you can see a lot of brass shavings up inside the car itself, thrown up by the tires. This is a major cause for concern, as there is the possibility some of the trash got inside the motor itself. Fingers are crossed in hopes that the motor's fine.

We set about cleaning the car, and it took about an hour or so to get it fixed up. That involved running the tires across tape quite a few times, taking two tire cleaning compounds to the tires, brushing out the inside and the bottom of the car, and cleaning the brushes pretty thoroughly. The car's going to get some more testing this week to make sure it's still good to go, but at least we found out why it was so slick acting during the last heat, which allowed me to catch up from six or seven laps down. The track surface will be given a thorough cleaning at least twice this week, so no trace of those shavings will be there.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hank80 said:
ROLL CALL FOR THE 1ST ANNUAL BOGGY CREEK CHARITY RACE! ! !

Who is going to be there for this Sunday's 1st Annual Boggy Creek Charity Race?

Who will be running what class? Who has it and who doesn't?

I am in for the following: Nascar, Porsche Club (GT3R), Prototype, and SuperTrucks.

JP is in for all 4 classes.

Who else? ? ? ?

I will be in attendance in all four classes, and thankfully my poor Lancia will there also!

·
Banned
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RACING TONIGHT! ! !

Use tonight's Supertruck and Prototype as a tune-up for this Sunday's Boggy Creek Charity Race!

See you at the track! ! !

·
Registered
444 Posts
I got a load of pictures while I was at the shop helping prep and testing cars tonight and Tuesday. Get ready for them!

First off, the stuff you're excited about (other than the racing, of course!), the raffle goodies:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts