Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always liked those vintage garage's from Matchbox but never the had the chance or the willingness to drop some coin for them now. I figured I could make something on the cheap and here it is.

It's modeled after a local station slated for demo which was built in the early 60's to look like a ranch style bungalow in suburbia. I used mostly what I had lying around the house like left over poster board from a previous project and the pickings in the recycling box. I only spent $2 for the "chimney" stones at the LHS in the train section. The rest was found on the web and printed on card stock than cut and glued on the cardboard rough.

I still have to do some glass, the interior, lighting and the roof.

Gerry :)

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I like it Gerry,
It's a terrific design!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clean looking and very well made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The inclusion of the stone wall is very unique and classy.

--CadillacPat the UnCustomizer--
Keeping the ZING in CustomiZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
looks great to me and the cost of the project ya cant beat. pays to save stuff once in awhile.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I like about diecast cars is that the scale is loosely interpreted. This means you can let go a bit and have fun with it compared to plastic scale modeling, makes for a nice break. Here's some progress pics of the interior. I used photoshop, some volunteers, paper and some glue stick.

Yours truly and my son

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
How much are you selling your gas for? I always use Shell...

That's really cool the way you have the cinderblock look to the building and the stone column. Looks just like a place I used to go here in town. The people standing around inside is a nice touch too. It's inspiring to see how nice a building you've whipped up out of nothing.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll be working on the interior, roof and lighting today. My wife got me a piece of gray foam core for the base. It's coming along nicely for a dirt cheap project.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally found some time to work on the garage. I have a base made from gray foam core, I added the roof, the interior division for the cashier and indoor lighting. It's already good enough to use in picturing my collection.

The tanker is for the Veyron, not the garage!

A familiar site at the garage, the Lumina APV in it's favorite position, on the tow truck.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the great feedback. The pumps were made by Lesney. They are there until I make a proper set.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts