Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. My name is James Hill and this is my first post on Hobby Talk so here's my background. I grew up in the Golden Age of modeling --the '60s. My brother and I built the Aurora monsters and figure models as fast as the stores could stock them. But most every type of plastic kit had its appeal (kits by Hawk, Pyro, Revell, Monogram, etc). I switched over from models to painting military miniatures in 1970 because of my love of military history and uniforms (and I could never airbrush the kits worth a darn). Lately, though, I have been purchasing aircraft and armor models and the excellently sculpted Moebius and Monarch releases (mid-life crisis?). I hope to start airbrushing kits with Vallejo Air acrylics and Tamiya acrylic paints with more success than I had when I was young trying to do it with enamels.

The kit shown is these photos is the 90mm resin Geometric Micro Wolf Man. I painted it in artist's oil paint over a base coat of Humbrol enamels. The pants are a dark blue-gray and the shirt is a pale gray-green. I decided to make his face and hands a little more "fleshy" than the dark brown that is often seen just to have a little more variety of color. The wall is made of actual small, flat rocks super glued together and painted with enamels (as was all of the ground work, including the real tree-branch "log" and the forest floor leaves made of Italian seasoning and Oregano).

By the way, I am not a prolific modeler so you may not see too many new finished kits from me.

Attachments

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Welcome to the BB Mr. Hill. You are in good company as a lot of us came out of the 60's and 70's.
Your Wolfman turned out great! I love the base you created for him as well.
Don't be afraid to post and ask questions and also give advise.
Most of all, have fun!
The write-up you did is pretty funny too!

MMM

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Welcome, Mr. Hill! i have to say that yours is the best build-up I've seen of that kit :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Great Work Mr Hill. I like the write up on the base and the base itself sets the kit off perfectly. We are both in the same boat when it comes to building, I tend to build one kit every 12 months! I'm still working on Polar Lights Phantom of The Opera, that I started in 2005. My next kit will be the Moebius Iron Man, which should be finished by Christmas 2010 :)

Simon

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Very nice work :thumbsup: I also built 'em all in the 60's, and it's Great to see a resurgence in the hobby and New Monster Models in Styrene being made!...
Welcome to Hobby Talk :wave:
Mcdee

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Nice idea on the flesh tones. I think on a smaller scale kit, the details would be lost if you used too many dark colors. The base is great too!
I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
hey , welcome to the BBs Mr. Hill .
that's some mighty fine work there . :thumbsup:
i really like the scratchbuilt base .
hb

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your very nice compliments. Like Ochronosis, I may finish something new in a year or so, if I work quickly. I'm toying with the idea of painting Solarwind's 1/8th(?) scale bust of Countess Karnstein with an airbrush. We'll see if I actually do it, though.

Jim

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
Welcome aboard, Mr. Hill! Great piece of work to introduce yourself with!

·
Premium Member
6,014 Posts
Another word of welcome, Mr. H. From your biographical sketch, we seem to be from the same generation. As impressive as your figure is, I was gratified to hear that you troubled yourself to paint your groundwork.

Too often, modelers who use natural materials for their groundwork seem to think that the natural colors are sufficient. But Mother Nature and plastic model builders work from different palettes and the contrast has been strikingly evident on some dioramas I've seen. Your work proves that although natural materials can provide the forms for groundwork, their colors still need to be integrated into the project with paint.

Keep up the good work; I'm sure we'll all mark our calendars for when you post the photos of next year's model. ;)

Mark McG.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts