Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Onan Genset. The unit ran well all summer but the last time we camped the unit surged and sounded like it wanted to go dead. I shut it down and it restarted and ran fine. When I returned home it has gotten progressively worse only running a few munites before it starts hunting and surging uncontrollably. I took the carb apart and cleaned it and I noticed that the intake tub had some type of gasket that was chipping away. I did not separate the tub in half to check the gasket. Could a leak of vacumm cause this? I also noticed there was also an oil leak at two of the bolts on the head at the center of the head. Could this cause the governor to hunt?

·
Registered
138 Posts
well if the gasket is not sealing then yes this will cause it to surge. you will need to take the gasket off and replace it. i dont think an oil leak would make it surge

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check the gasket on the intake tube. What if the oil that is seeping from the head bolts is from a broken gasket allowing air to get to the cylinder of the valve section? Should I change the head gasket?

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
The headgasket would tend to push out air from compression, not suck it in.

DO replace that gasket on the intake..... oem, not make a gasket stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts