Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, could someone explain to me what exactly a gear reducer will do for my power output if it should be setup on a larger go cart?

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
bigger gear that drives a smaller gear will go faster. little one that drives a smaller one will give better bottom end torque. using big tires with a bigger gear that drives a smaller gear will go even faster.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I guess I wasnt specific enough. I know how the sprokets set up will work, but the motor I have, has a gear reducer attached to it. It is that gear reducer that I want to know the effect of that on my go cart, or if you know, should i just take that off and run it strait from the motor?

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
as long as there is a clutch or better yet a belt drive. i know someone who's got a self built one with a eight horse horizontal shaft engine using a belt driven clutch that just will keep you planted in the seat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts