Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi i am doing my General Certificate of Secondary Education Design and Technology coursework and i need some help.

could you just answer the following questions for my small survay, thank you

1) What tools do you use and how do you store when you are not using them?

2) How do you store your paints?

3) What would be useful to have to help or organise your equipment?

4) Do you agree with this statment "Model makers have to create their own surface and build their own areas for their tool and other equipment. If there was a desk that already had these things it would make the process of the item being produced a lot more enjoyable."

Could you please reply to myschool e-mail addy just incase i cant get on the forums due to RM filters [email protected]

Thank you

Will

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
Professor. Allow me to translate. GCSE = General Certificate of Secondary Education and is a series of examinations that students have to take at about 16. It could be considered the English equivalent of graduating from high school but you have to be able to read and write.

Wward, not sure how this all fits in to your school curriculum or how you plan to use the information. Are you conducting a survey?

Numerous. X-Acto knife (various types of blades), paint brushes, airbrush, sanding sticks, wet'n'dry paper (various grits), old dental tools, Micro-brushes, nail files, emory boards, Dremel tool, clamps, clothes pins, can of auto carb cleaner, liquid glue, CA glue, white glue, Mr. Surfacer, pins, wire, masking tape (several sizes), saws, etc.

Where do I store them? Usually scattered all over the bench but if I've just tidied up, in jars, in drawers, in plastic containers - all located in or around or under the bench.

In a set of plastic drawers, sorted by general color ... or scattered all over the work bench.

Full time help? A bigger bench to scatter things over? Each modeler has his or her degree of organization. Some always put things back in their proper place. Others are like me. We each have a system we like and live with so we don't really need any help. It's not the storage space that's the challenge, it's the discipline involved in putting things away after they're used.

4) Do you agree with this statment "Model makers have to create their own surface and build their own areas for their tool and other equipment. If there was a desk that already had these things it would make the process of the item being produced a lot more enjoyable."

Yes to the first part. Generally no to the second. I just can't see modelers forking out cash for an pre-made modeling desk. Part of the hobby is creating a working environment that suits us and most modelers enjoy building (and continually customizing) that environment. Any off-the-shelf desk would end up being customized beyond recognition.

If you're looking for ideas for model tool storage, the important things to me are storage areas that maximize and organize paints (keeping in mind that all paint jars are not the same size) and underbench drawers that can be customized to accommodate the modeler's set of tools. A cheap replacable work surface would be a must and we need good lighting and a convenient power source that don't get in the way. Built-in stereo speakers/radio/CD player/iPod slot/TV/DVD player would be nice too.

Hope this helps.

Now, some really tidy and neat modeler will chip in.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
:confused: There's a tidy and neat modeler ???
I agree pretty much with what Arronax said.
Kids graduating high school should read and write ??... What a revolutionary idea !! :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Crap, they might have more self-esteem if they knew how to spell the words ? Then they could even read the directions on models !
( Nice segue back on topic heh ! )

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes this is a sort of a survay and i am goin to use the information to help me create a design specification for my project. This information also helps me to know what other peoples needs are when 'modeling'. Arronax what you have told me has helped me alot to understanding what tools etc are used. This is good for my research part of the assesment. I also know that model making is not a tidy hobby but i am trying to find solution or attempt to find one to help this. Some people like me don't have the time to create their own work space.

Thankx for the help.

·
Starship Class
11,670 Posts
A "self-sorting" bin where one could place tools into a funnel and they would fall, according to their weight and length, into certain smaller bins would be handy. That way, when you're finished with a tool, you place it in at the top and when you're ready to use it again, you look through a few tools in one of the smaller bins instead of searching the entire desk or toolbox for it.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
I use several shelve units (6 shelves each) for my stuff. Power tools go on 3 shelves, (Saw, Dremel, Drill, Vibrator Sander, and the attachments for them. I sort paints as to manufacturer, and by type (oils, water base, lacquer) and specialty paints like very hard, non chipping gloss and flat 'clear' . I also put cans/bottles of thinners with those paint types. another shelf for small specialized tools like Model steam engine wheel 'quarterer', wheel pullers, etc, and prop balancers, and then a box of files, another shelf has all the nuts/bolts/ washers/screws. Another shelf has glues. another shelf has my airbrush stuff(hoses/airpump/Paasche H, VL/and a back-up moisture trap. I have another shelf with paint brushes, pens, pencils, rulers, scissors, etc. My work bench usually has anywhere from 2-6 projects on it at a time. Usually with the associated tools. I follow the rule that no matter HOW BIG the work bench is, the "Work Area" is 6 inches square...

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
Every now and then (usually when my list of things I can't find exceeds 25) I clean up my bench. Useful "tools" at this point include cheap plastic containers, a label gun and a dust pan and brush.

Other useful tools: plastic container for old decals, set of plastic drawer for spare parts sorted roughly by type and placed in plastic bags, an old towel for working in my lap when the 6 inch square work area is full, rags and old handkerchiefs for dabbing up excess moisture when decaling.

Wward, while I appreciate the need of something for modelers who don't have time to build a work bench, most modeler make do with what they have or what they can find cheap (or in yard sales). More importantly, they find something that fits the space where they plan to work - from full blown benches in a cellar or garage to TV trays in the living room.

If you're looking at the need for an off-the-shelf modeling bench, you best consider the cost. It can't exceed the cost of a cheap particle board desk and a bunch of old food containers (margarine containers, for example), tin cans and baby food jars.

Perhaps, if you shared what you had on mind, we could make mare constructive suggestions.

And remember, it doesn't need to come with assembly instructions - we never read instructions. :rolleyes:

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Rebel Rocker said:
That's right, Jim. Instructions are merely a suggestion of one way of doing something!!

Wayne
True ! Instructions are for when all else goes wrong, you go to them to see what part is missing, and/or WHY part "A" did NOT slide easily into part "B". And, of course, what color NOT to paint the model.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Now hat you are telling me what you use etc i can then decide what i can make as a storage unit for small tool on a bench/desk and sutible storage units for paints and lager tools and equipment. My idea is not to make a massive storage facitality but something that will store and keep together smaller tools for people who are not as experianced as i am at modeling. The cost of the item that i will finaly make will be as small as possible as i also have to pay (well parents) for the materials to make it. I am trying to create something that will have areas for eg: drying my planes after glueing/painting them. With this area to help me as i dont have that much equipment i am thinking of making some kind of small stilts with a very small surface area to raise the plane of the work area slightly. 2 years ago i made in a DT activity my very own paint stand that i can also include with my design. These are just ideas for now untill i start drawing the product i am going to make.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
OK wward, let us see some preliminary drawings and how it's progressing, we may be able to contribute, OR learn something from it. You're right about keeping costs down also. ( More money for models !!! )
I believe most modeler's benches sort of "evolve" ! Start out with a table or bench and add as needed. I started with a home-built drafting table, 2'x4', which is now crowded, so I just added wall shelves for paints, etc. The hobby sort of "grows on you "
Dabbler

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
wward, not trying to get personal but is there anything else we can call you other wward. My "W" key is starting to wear out.

Instead of stilts (and I know what you mean), try dowel rods with a clothes pin glued to the top and then drill several holes in the bench that the dowel can be placed in when needed.

And there must be someway you can include a magnetic strip to hold those loose (metal) tools. I use the front of the fluorescent desk lamp that hangs over my bench.

The trick in designing something like this is that it needs to be flexible. You need to be able take stuff off to make space. If all the storage places and other handy stuff is nailed in place, it's not going to work.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Again I agree with Arronax .( is there a scary pattern here ? ) I have a 'gooseneck' lamp hanging over my bench with those little round hardware store magnets all around it that hold tweezers, X-acto blades, assorted sized sewing needles ( for poking holes and opening up clogged spouts, etc. ) and easily accessable. Little 'tricks' like that save space.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
wward said:
Hi i am doing my General Certificate of Secondary Education Design and Technology coursework and i need some help.

could you just answer the following questions for my small survay, thank you

cardboard for painting on, various burshes, dremel tool, files, q-tips, pins, toothpicks, sandpaper, x-atco knife, screwdrivers, utility knife, drill, sidecuts, needlenose pliers, c-clamps, pinch clamps
paints are seperated by spray and jar, sprays in 1 drawrer in my cart, jars in another. Jars sit in little rails I made, but no organization, it never stays, so I dont bother
Right now I store a lot of my stuff in a 7drawer rubbermaid type cart thingy...works pretty good at keeping stuff straight. It would be nice if there was like a drawer that was sectioned off to store pieces from various projects and keep them sorted.
Yes, to an extent. It would be nice as long as it wasnt too precise. If it were customizable, then I think it would be great. FOr instance, SOme ppl use Model Master paints, some use testors, therefor a paint tray couldnt be designed perfect for any one paint jar. An integrated power strip would be a great addition.
Could you please reply to myschool e-mail addy just incase i cant get on the forums due to RM filters [email protected]

Thank you

Will
:wave:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
will get a 3D drawing on sat if i can. i will try to get one at some point...You can call me Will or Super. (I use SuperArmySoldiers in another forum).

Annorax yeh i could not think of a better word for the stilts thing. i had dowels in my mind. Like the idea of pins in them.

All my parts that i am making will be able to be removed etc.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
All my stuff moved from my hobby room where it was stored in various places on my work bench to basically all over the house and at my hobby store. Seems like someone is always wanting me to fix their models or something.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts