Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
James,
I do need a contact person or website for Rosewood Raceway. Can you give that to me?

Tim

·
Registered
736 Posts
i dont think you quite understand what sam and i are trying to do. we are trying to find a replacement engine for the .09 class, due to big variations in motors. i do think there should be a sportsman only class, but also a slower class (about .09 speed) for everyone to run.

rosewood contact: www.glennshobbycorner.com

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
okay, James,
Maybe i misunderstood. I never raced the .09 cars, so I am a rookie when it comes to those. I do know that the Hornet engine required a lot of work to make it work, so I think that had something to do with the decline of the class. Go ahead and work toward a replacement engine for that class, and keep me posted.

So, let me get this straight.......you and Sam are working at replacing the current .09 class with another engine... ie the Dynamite 12. Is that correct? This class would replace the current .09 class. Is this correct?

If so, then I will go ahead and work on a novice class for new racers.... that way, we wont overlap in rules.

·
Registered
736 Posts
yes, i think that gets everyone on the same page now.

we are working w/ the dynamite motor for .09 replacement.

it is a good motor and i think it would work great as sportsman motor w/ say, a .100-.120 restrictor and a set gear. it may not need to be restricted too much if the baffle is required in the muffler. i think sam and i will be able to offer some insight to help you, after we do some testing.

if this was speced as the sportsman motor, then the transition to move up to the .12 dynamite class would be simple when the driver feels they are ready.

sam- are you gonna have a .12 car ready to test at rock hill? i think i can get mine together in time to do some test runs with you.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
As a racer that had to run sportsman .09 the first year I went nitro, I would like to tell you what I liked and disliked in the rules at that time.
1. weight had to be 48 oz. I had to add 3 oz of lead to my car. It is almost impossible to find somewhere to mount it. The extra weight just wore out tires faster and broke more parts in a crash.
2. spec cap tires are ok, but I think the 4 pink rule may be better if you can use stager.
3. I thought the 17/60 gear rule was a good way to slow the cars.
4. the stock stinger was also a good method to keep speeds down.
5. Let the racers use the same body and wing as the rest to help make the cars handle.
The COT with out the larger wing would be a handful. Also the splitter on the front may not last long in a crash. Maybe just have the bodies cut on the trim line and no raking.
One other problem was. If at a race I was the lone sportsman racer, I did not get to race. This happened quite a few times. James’s idea of allowing others in the class could help keep that from happening.

I did take this year off from nitro. Now with Rosewood open I may go nitro next year, but I would like to see what the .09 or a slower class than .15/12 will be.

This is just my opinion
I could be wrong
It has happened before.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I have to agree with Larry on this. I don't like the idea of adding weight and spec tires.
If you run any other classes you would be stuck with spec tires.
That is the main reason I did not run the 21.5 pro class at easley.
Keep it as simple as possible with the motor and let the tires and body rules stand as they are in my opinion would be best.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
I think the spec tires should ONLY be, if there are any, used in the SPORTSMAN/beginner class. Maybe not even the "SPEC" tires but like Larry said, pinks on all 4 corners, nets on the right. That way they are able to use those tires in other classes. Personally, I cannot stand to be told what tires I must run. To me that is part of the game, getting the right tire combo on the car. Now, if the tires are free... :D

The confusion came when discussing a "sportsman" class setup being set up and run by Sam and James. Now that I see they are aiming at restructuring the .09 class, I say go for it.

I think we can use what you guys learn from testing the Dyn. 12's to incorporate that into a sportsman rules package that keeps that class simple and easy to get into.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
As I see it, for GASCAR 2010, we have three classes...... Nitro Pro Pan/15 -- Nitro Sportsman Pan/12 (novice) -- and Nitro Dynamite Pan/12 (replacing .09)....

Is that what you guys are looking at??

·
Registered
736 Posts
yes that what i see too. a class for everyone. may i suggest names for classes.
sportsman,limited and pro just to keep it simple when talking about different classes.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
I hate to do this.......

But we may need to talk mufflers, again.

The HPI seems to be in short supply. I should have a muffler very similar to it in my hands Wednesday. It is made by CEN.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTAE4&P=7

I am going to bolt it up and see if there is a difference between it and the HPI. Right now I have no idea if it includes a baffle or not. If it does not, that is a very simple solution. We just add one.

BTW--:thumbsup::thumbsup: on the class names and differences in them.

Now how about we make Roger and Sam spot the rest of us about 5 or so laps. ;)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Everyone check out my Dyanmite .12 testing report on the .09 Replacement thread.

I certainly see why we may need a third sportsman class for the beginners. The biggest concern I have about it is one that Larry brought up, and that is getting enough to run. This class would have to be made up entirely of new racers, who are few and far between these days. Because of this, I suggest that for next year we have just the current .15 Pro class and the limited .12 class that me and James are working on. Then, if the need arises, we can add a sportsman class for the newbies. I can say that the car I was testing yesterday would make for a smooth transition from electric racing, and was very easy on tires. That doesn't mean that we can't come up with a set of rules for a sportsman class if we need it.

James, I'm not going to put just any of my cars down at Rock Hill because of its destructive properties, (I'm putting together an old car to run in the .15 race) so if you want to borrow my baffle to test the .12 there you can. Let me know if you want any of the restrictor plates we have came up with as well.

Sam

·
Registered
736 Posts
yeah, i was thinking about running my gen 1 car there for that reason. but if we were going to try the dynamite, then i was going to try it on the gen 1 and race my gen 2. now i dont know what to do???

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Sam,
I have already revised the Sportsman 12/ Division rules just in case new racers come on board in 2010. Its strictly for newbies, so they are taken care of. We just need to vote on them at rock hill. You and James continue your testing, and present an idea for rules to me at Rock Hill. I left a place for them on the website.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Mitch the .170 restrictor from Associated is no longer made.

I have had a machinist make several .120 restrictors that I need to pick up. All we would have to do is drill them out to the diameter we wanted.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts