Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have nearly finished my replicas of the Galactica bridge phones. I purchased two military field phones and have refinished them to match what I can see in screen caps. The original phones are olive green plastic. But I have seen reference to earlier versions (these phones have been around since Vietnam) that were metal. As Galactica is basically a WW2 aircraft carrier, I have decided that they would have the original metal-cased phones. So, I painted them with an undercoat of metallic silver and a topcoat of dark gray primer. I buffed the primer to a shine and then used steel wool to bring out the silver on the edge details.

The phones are far from pristine, but I think that adds to their character. They truly look 40+ years old. I still need to add the labels on the back which state the COM number. The one Adama uses seems to be COM-254. I want to create a wall-mounted display with one of them. In studying screen caps, the phones on the bridge are simply mounted in a very boring fashion in a triangular-shaped section of the bridge console. I have in mind an octagonal frame surrounding an aluminum plate. I plan to include a couple status lights (amber and red) and I want one light to come on when the phone is lifted out of the cradle. Shouldn't be too hard to build and wire it. Will post more pics when I have something fun to show.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
That's pretty kewel!

We're usually stuck on scale models - at least I am! - so most of us don't think about stuff like this. I know that *I* never would have thought of it, anyhow.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Nice work :thumbsup:

Have you thought about turning one into a working phone?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I've actually used those when I was in a Tactical Communications unit. They're older than dirt, but they still work. We also had the TA-312 field phones with the hand cranks - lot's of fun shocking folks when they fall asleep!

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I too enjoy props as well as models. Sometimes a project can be both (Galactica blaster kits).

As for turning these into home phones or cell phones, doubtful. Either way you would have to gut them and retro-fit phones workings inside. Then you would need a separate keypad for dialing. I'm sure someone could work it out, but it's way beyond the scope of this project. Also, because it's a painted finish, it's not expected to hold up to the handing a working phone would receive. Now, if you wire these two together, you could have a point-to-point comm system like an intercom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts