Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, finally (nearly) done with my wall-mounted bridge phone replica. The phone is still missing it's label on the back. I have them printed but not yet attached. I'm thinking about coating the back of the label with double-stick tape and see how that works. Spray adhesive may also be an option.

The phone itself is as accurate as my references will allow. I went with a dark gray and buffed it to a sheen. There is an undercoat of silver which shows through on edges to simulate wear and tear. The wall units are non-canon. The actual mounts on the bridge are very basic (just a loop to hold the top of the hand unit) and the wall units throughout the ship are another piece of military surplus that I don't have. So, I came up with my own design. Octagonal of course. When the handset is picked up, the top amber light switches on. The red light is a dummy. I imagine it would be lit during action stations.

Oh, and in the best tradition of military spending...why build one when you can have two for twice the price.:)

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I'd like to second Lloyd's comments. Great lookin' prop, thus far! What did you use for the base unit, wooden plaque? Might be seen in Adama's quarters in his head, maybe? :D

The units on the show look to be actual COMM phone base units such as one might still find in some US Military Active Duty units, tho they're being phased out. We still had some of them when I was in Pakistan in '03 for use as regular phones, tho I think that was the last time I saw any. They're WWII/Korean War Era design - and I think the electronics are from that same era, too. Crappy reception and they break way too easily. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The frame is wood and the face plate is aluminum sheet. The cradle is lathed wood with a front plate of aluminum sandwiched on which has a lip which keeps the phone from falling off. There's a switch activated by a lever in the cradle to control the light. Pretty simple design, but the wall units took a lot longer than the phones. Hopefully I can reap some financial benefit from the effort on eBay. :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts