Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bill, Mike and Marty have be just about talked into a body for BSRT's G-Jet car. I just placed an order for parts to finish my track so that the B&GC Littlest 500 can be run in May, but after that I'm looking at switching the focus of the classes I run from pancake motor cars to something like the G-Jet.

This is more than just re-writing the rules for another class. From what I'm reading (and please correct any assumptions I have that are wrong) the G-Jet is designed speciffically for 12 volt systems. My track runs on 21.8 volt Tomy power packs, one per lane, to switch and maintain equal power draw I would now need one of the G-Jet transformers per lane, or another $75 in my case since we only run the inside 3 lanes. Would running the cars on higher power be a problem?

Next is the cost of a rolling car. I think and $50 HO slot car is pretty spendy, to require all of those that race with me to not only get the car but the $20 complete weight handling kit and other accessories, potentially up to a hundred bucks (that a cool million HO dollars by the way) may be a stretch. Making a body for this car won't be a problem, since it's close to the Super G+ and the Eagle has already been adapted using the tab style body mount already. But I would build up a completely new body for the chassis rather than have a puckered mutant MT Eagle anyway.

I have other issues to consider here, I want a G-Jet to evaluate but right now the cost is prohibitive. I need to sell a bunch more bodies (at least 50 at $2 a pop) to get my first set up, and designing a body that is G-Jet specific is not out of the question. Someone who may be willing to work with me on contributing a dead chasiss to build on would be great. Until then I'll keep doing my research on this car and work on existing projects...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Ok Petey, I am here to help buddy...

You only need one G-Jet power supply for $25, that will power up to 6 cars if you had 6 lanes of track.

You could run the cars at higher power, but they are meant to be driven at 12 volts, Gary Beedle put in a lot of R&D to determine this was the best way to drive these cars and the most fun.

Second, the car for $50 is a complete rolling chassis, you do not need to buy a weight kit for the car if you buy a roller, just slap a body on it and you are ready to go. The only thing you'll want extras of will be pickup shoes, but other than that, these cars last a good long time.

Lastly, if you have a super G+ sitting around, make it the short wheel base and put some .450 tires on the rear and put some body posts on it and you have yourself a mock-up of a G-Jet. If you get yourself the 12 volt power supply and don't have the $$$ left over for a car, let me know and will send you a loaner to test out. I would almost guarantee you will be making a purchase soon after my friend.

Marty

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
G-jet power supply

i will chime in here too. the g-jet power supply is quite small and very inexpensive. i acutally bought mine to power an Artin 1/43 track, because it was the cheapest 12V adjustable power supply i could find. i bought mine on ebay from a tatoo supply company (apparnetly it can be used as a power supply for tatoo equipment).

the recommended power supply is only $25.

i think the g jet can be built from an old super g using a G3 chassis and G-jet arm/magnets and weights for about $30, but iahvent done that yet (using the super g axles, tires, springs and pickups)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It's actually cheaper to just buy a G-Jet, you'd need the chassis, the arm/magnets, weights, tires..

G-Jet© Stock Armature (9-ohms - each) $5.00
G-Jet© Motor Magnets (pair) $10.00
G-Jet© Black AST Rear Tires (pair) $10.00
G-Jet© Brass Handling Plate Holder with 0-80 Screw (set) $4.00
G-Jet© .032" Brass Handling Plate (each) $3.75
G-Jet© .120" Brass Traction Weights (pair) $5.00
G-Jet© Traction Weight Spacers for use with .120" Traction Weights (pair) $2.00
G-Jet flexible chassis and magnet clip $7

That's about $47 just to upgrade and doesn't include the new and improved endbell, timing bracket, or the front axle assembly. I'd say you're better off letting Gary build one complete and test it on his track, they don't leave Scale Auto unless they hit a certain time on his course.

Anyway you look at it, these cars are my favorite, and there's a big reason so many clubs are starting to run them.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The power supply that Gary's company offers is only $25 as well and knowing I can run all three lanes of my track is now reassuring. "Back in the day" we ran with deep cell marine batteries, we could run 6 lanes all day long on a charge, and ran 18 volts. I like the G-Jet power pack because it also allows "restrictor plate" racing of 9, 6 and 3 volts. It also simplifies for me the process of wiring.

The major expense will be the cars. I'm going to pitch it to the racers this weekend for introduction in June. I have the HOPRA rules for G-Jets, it's my desire to bring Martin's track and mine into their rule compliance. It wouldn't hurt to run our Open Comp and Modified magnet cars on the lower voltage either for that matter. But not everyone is going to be up for buying a new car when they can continue to rebuild their old 440X2's. Martin will do it, AJ will probably do it, David can be convinced, but the other 6 will be tough. I mean, these are guys still racing hard plastic bodies with the windows removed because "it makes them lighter". Cue the banjo music.

My track will be a basic square oval, with 54" long main straights, 9" short chutes and corners of 9" and 12" respectively. I will have jumpers in the middle of the two main straights and the short chutes. All of the other joints will be silver soldered.

This is something to be investigated. It'll mean I have to learn to work on a new car, not that much of an issue. We'll see how well its received.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts