Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Product Safety Recall Notice:
#611 Reedy Quasar Pro Charger

Due to potential safety concerns, Associated Electrics is planning a voluntary recall of the Reedy #611 Quasar Pro Charger to begin on May 10, 2004

Two problems, a defective fuse and some program errors, make the charger unsafe to use, particularly in dry weather and with high capacity NiMH cells. Corrections for this problem have been developed, but until these corrections are applied the charger should not be used. If you have this charger, it is important that you discontinue its use immediately.

Please do not call Associated Electrics or your dealer. Plans for the recall have not been completed, so no one can assist you at this time. By the end of next week we will have toll-free numbers installed for this recall, and full instructions for returning your charger for correction will be posted here.

Associated Electrics, Inc.

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
Hmmm........interested to know exactly what the problems with it are. :confused: I've had one for about two years now with no problems. Wonder if this is a more recent problem? Guess we'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Thanks,
Appreciate the info on the reedy Pro charger situation. I bought one new last year used it several times charging nicads with no problem first time I attempted to charge Nimhs it smoked out! Cost me $90 plus $22.00 shipping for Reedy to repair it. And guess what soon as I used it Smoke City again! Its now sitting on a shelf in its box. Maybe if they are recalled I can get it repaired/replaced at no further cost? Keep us informend please!
:cool: Lee
[email protected]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Funny, Mine started on fire last month and melted all the solder off the circuit board inside, so they WILL be getting it back, and for what they charge for a charger of this level it should last a guy the rest of his life if used correctly. Needless to say I was a little upset when I saw smoke coming from mine being it was only about 1 1/2 years old and only used indoors for carpet racing.

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
I tried emailing "Arthur" at Integy about this issue, but the email "bounced" because his inbox: "is not accepting e-mail from an unknown sender".

Kinda limits communication with your customers, but...? :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
The "bounced" message to Integy contained a recommendation that I try:

[email protected]

as an alternative email address...

That email "bounced" too...

GREAT communications... :drunk:

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
Hey! -- I got a response from Integy:

Thank you for your e-mail inquiry. The Reedy charger has completely different design even though the operating menu looks similar. Our chargers have not caused any battery explosion, no report of that at all. Our units have a redesigned circuit board, a better fan placement (that's why the fans on our charger doesn't go out like the Reedy and doesn't require the user to standup the unit for extra cooling) The FETs are different and our unit can discharge up to 30A rate. The LCD display is different, ours has backlit and the Reedy doesn't. According to one of the buyer at a major distributor and our friends at one of the local hobby shop, the defective rate of INDI charger is at least 10 times lower than the Reedy chargers. They already discontinued the Reedy line of charger for a while and now selling our chargers exclusively to replace the Reedy charger. The overcharging condition is still possible when any charger malfunction but we did mention it on our instruction and warn the users. The Reedy charger instruction missed a lot of the precuation, warnings and with the unusally high defective rate...they have to deal with what they have to deal with now.
Best Regards,
Tech Support

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
hankster said:
Attached is a picture of what GP3300 cells look like once they have been overcharged... I understand they sounded like a shotgun going off!
that looks sooo cool..... i've always wondered what was in them batteries!
i would haaaaate to have been there to hear it tho.... i'm almost deaf as it is!
i wonder what reedy is gonna do about it... i guess we'll just have to wait till the 10th!

-Tone

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
hankster said:
....experement that had gone array!
.... awry.... it went awry.....
Main Entry: awry javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?awry0001.wav=awry')
Function: adverb or adjective
1 : in a turned or twisted position or direction : ASKEW
2 : off the correct or expected course : AMISS

:tongue: :lol:

those grid things are wrapped/rolled in the battery cylinders, yes?
i have a few p0pped cells that have not fully burst.... and i was gonna cut it... but i guess now i dont.... i wonder if this recall will be like the spy Lithium ion battery and charger incident by NOVAK.....

-Tone

1 - 20 of 27 Posts