Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After clearing off my worktable I started in on a Revell Fw 190D-9 in 1/32 scale, here is the very first in-progress pic...

...this will be a speed build.

Agentsmith

·
Oxidation Genius
31,279 Posts
There's always sinkholes in those big ol' prop blades.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John,
I have built two of the 1/32 scale D-9s from the Hasegawa kit and the sinkmarks on the back of the prop blades was not quite as bad as this...also the Hasegawa boxing had cleaner molding of all the parts compared to the Revell kit.

One thing that is really bad is the decal sheet, about a quarter of the decal sheet is so far out of register some of the markings overlap a few of the stencils.

Here are two more in-progress pics...

The fuselage halves are now together and many of the small parts are getting prepped for some paint so there will be no slow downs later on. I wanted this one to be a speed build.

Agentsmith

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you jdroge01

Painting the interior parts before assembly should be the slowest parts of this build.
The camouflage scheme I chose for this model will also take a little more time than usual to paint since it will represent an aircraft that is older and had some of the original parts replaced with those from other aircraft to keep it operational.

Agentsmith

·
Registered
85 Posts
Great work so far agentsmith!! Nothing new to say about your work, as it always is above par! Can't wait to see the end result!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks very much Sgthawker and Medic17!

Right now not much is going on with this build except for filling and checking the seams, I might have something to show for all this effort in a few days.

Agentsmith

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some progress has been made...the Dora is now built and is just starting to get a little paint on it, the sides and bottom have been sprayed with a thin coat of RLM 76 and black pre-shading and white hi-lighting have also been sprayed on.
Next up will be a coat of very thin RLM 76 which will cover up much of the pre-shade and hi-lighting work leaving just a hint of it still showing.

There is another model that can be seen in these pics, its an old 1/72 scale Airfix Bf 109K-4 that I decided to build so I have something to do while waiting for some of the Dora bits to dry.

The prop blades and spinners for both models have also been painted, the one for the Dora was masked and painted while the Bf 109K-4 spinner was painted free handed with the airbrush.

Agentsmith

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks surfsup!

This kit is an ex-Hasegawa mold kit and is not really too old, but I do remember building the older kit from Revell that was molded by them. That was not a very good kit!

More work done today, the Alclad II was sprayed on. One half of the lower engine cowl was also painted with the Alclad II and was then sprinkled with dampened salt and then painted over with the late war light green undersurface paint color. When the paint was dry the salt was rubbed off to expose the Alclad II below, I wanted to get the look of large amounts of paint flaking off.

Next will be the painting of the uppersurface colors.

Agentsmith

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The painting on the undersurfaces are done (for now) so my attention has turned to the uppersurfaces, the first step is painting on some random white highlights.

Next will be some black pre-shading.

Agentsmith

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today the uppersurface of the wings were painted which nicely covered up the highlights and pre-shading.

Next up the rest of the airframe on the Dora will be painted and maybe the rest of the camo on the little Bf 109K-4 too.

Agentsmith

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
More painting done...the last of the camo colors and also the RVD band was masked and painted on.

Agentsmith

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks roadrner!

No in-progress pics of the Fw 190D-9 today but I do have a couple of the 1/72 scale Bf 109K-4.
The final bits of the camo paint and the fuselage RVD band have been painted on.
Both the 109K-4 and D-9 will be getting their gloss clear coats and then decals, I wanted both models to get their gloss coats at the same time to reduce waste and reduce the need for cleaning the airbrush two seperate times.

The propeller and spinner assembly has been built, painted, and weathered. This is one of the 109s that did not get the usual black/white spiral spinner treatment.

Agentsmith

1 - 20 of 37 Posts