I have built two of the 1/32 scale D-9s from the Hasegawa kit and the sinkmarks on the back of the prop blades was not quite as bad as this...also the Hasegawa boxing had cleaner molding of all the parts compared to the Revell kit.
One thing that is really bad is the decal sheet, about a quarter of the decal sheet is so far out of register some of the markings overlap a few of the stencils.
Here are two more in-progress pics...
The fuselage halves are now together and many of the small parts are getting prepped for some paint so there will be no slow downs later on. I wanted this one to be a speed build.
Painting the interior parts before assembly should be the slowest parts of this build.
The camouflage scheme I chose for this model will also take a little more time than usual to paint since it will represent an aircraft that is older and had some of the original parts replaced with those from other aircraft to keep it operational.
Some progress has been made...the Dora is now built and is just starting to get a little paint on it, the sides and bottom have been sprayed with a thin coat of RLM 76 and black pre-shading and white hi-lighting have also been sprayed on.
Next up will be a coat of very thin RLM 76 which will cover up much of the pre-shade and hi-lighting work leaving just a hint of it still showing.
There is another model that can be seen in these pics, its an old 1/72 scale Airfix Bf 109K-4 that I decided to build so I have something to do while waiting for some of the Dora bits to dry.
The prop blades and spinners for both models have also been painted, the one for the Dora was masked and painted while the Bf 109K-4 spinner was painted free handed with the airbrush.
This kit is an ex-Hasegawa mold kit and is not really too old, but I do remember building the older kit from Revell that was molded by them. That was not a very good kit!
More work done today, the Alclad II was sprayed on. One half of the lower engine cowl was also painted with the Alclad II and was then sprinkled with dampened salt and then painted over with the late war light green undersurface paint color. When the paint was dry the salt was rubbed off to expose the Alclad II below, I wanted to get the look of large amounts of paint flaking off.
Next will be the painting of the uppersurface colors.
No in-progress pics of the Fw 190D-9 today but I do have a couple of the 1/72 scale Bf 109K-4.
The final bits of the camo paint and the fuselage RVD band have been painted on.
Both the 109K-4 and D-9 will be getting their gloss clear coats and then decals, I wanted both models to get their gloss coats at the same time to reduce waste and reduce the need for cleaning the airbrush two seperate times.
The propeller and spinner assembly has been built, painted, and weathered. This is one of the 109s that did not get the usual black/white spiral spinner treatment.