Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
McLin has a great article on RC-Oval.com about Brushless Motors and LiPo batteries. McLin's Article

But this got me thinking about what some of the downsides could be...if this is the FUTURE.

The EVENT SPONSOR pool may shrink, because Battery/Motor Builder sponsors won't be around...because NOBODY will need NEW BATTERIES or MOTORS.

The FACTORY SPONSORED Racers won't have a need to go to BIG events, because there won't be as many products to Showcase.

HOBBY SHOPS will go out of business faster, because NOBODY will need "NEW" Stuff.

Why do you think FULL SIZE Automobiles don't run/last FOREVER?
Why do you think AUTOMOBILES MFG's. never allowed the MFG of a LIFETIME Tire that would NEVER Wear out? FUTURE SALES.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
swtour – I have had similar thoughts on this since we started running brushless, this LiPo deal is only adding to it. Both you and I have good friends that are in the motor and battery business and they are going to be the first casualties. I would think that the motor people are already felling it.

This is no small matter! I spoke with one track owner this weekend that had valid concerns about how this will hurt him. In most cases, motor and battery sales are their bread and butter. This just reinforces the fact that now, more than ever we need to buy where you race! Supporting the Internet does NOTHING for our race tracks.

But the bottom line is; I just don’t think that we can stop it no more then we can stop a new brushed motor or 4500 batteries. The good part is; it will not be here tomorrow and we will have plenty of time to evaluate the LiPo’s before decisions have to be made.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Supporting the Internet does NOTHING for our race tracks.
Too often, because of the rapid change in technology...the HobbyShops are weeks or months behind the "What is HOT", and by the time they have the stuff in stock...the racers are using something else.

Was in my LHS yesterday, and they have a couple cases of 2400 nicad loose cells, dozens of 3000 mah packs (Big Name, Big Dollar stuff) along with a lot of 3300 stuff.

Luckily for this store, R/C is only about 10% of their business

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I think that it will tomorrow will be here faster then anyone thinks. Look at the amount of people who are running in the 4300 class at the birds. It will certainly change our hobby. I don't think it will take long for the sedan and offroad guys to make the switch. They probable will dictate how fast it happens.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
gezer2u, if that is your bench mark, you better hurry up and put your order in. TC's and Off Road are way ahead of us in this department. I have been reading on other forums and they seem to be working just fine for them. Some Oval tracks have also started to allow them.

And you are right about the brushless motors, we can no longer talk about them as our future, they are hear.

·
Registered
644 Posts
i would like to see novak come out with a 20.5 or a 21.5 turn motor. i think that matched with the 7.4 lipo batteries would be on par with the 4 cell and 13.5, which in our area seems to be the fastest growing class in pan car

1 - 11 of 11 Posts