Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went through all the threads on future and couldn't find if it's shelf life was discussed. I slapped some on a car that I had painted using some Future that I have had for ? years. I seemed to bubble up and pool here and there. I wicked the bubbles and pooling away with a paper towel. My question is does anybody know if Future breaks down over time and should I buy some new?
hojoe

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have never used Future, but have also read all the threads about it, I did see some info on it about getting it too thick & after some time it turned yellow & chipped / peeled, but I think was after several years and the cars had been packed in storage. As for your situation on bubbles I would guess maybe it was some oil contamination on the body, maybe from your fingers etc, I know it does not take much.

Boosted

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
Back in 2008 I bought a bottle of Future, poured the whole thing in a margarine tub and have had no real issues with it yet. Granted, I don't use it much now. The bubbles could be caused by a couple of things. If it was brushed on there could be air bubbles from the brush getting trapped as you apply it. I've had a couple bubbles form when dunking a body in the tub, usually just air getting trapped in the dunking process. Just pop 'em as soon as you can so they don't cure there. Clean the body good before using any clear coat, because as Boosted said, oil from your finger prints can affect the finish. Too many coats can have ill effects. Also remember to give the paint time to gas out and dry correctly before sealing. Nothing's worse than pent up gas!!:tongue:

·
Registered
998 Posts
My Future is ancient. I would look to see if you did not get silicone or oil or something on the car before dipping.

Old Blue

1 - 6 of 6 Posts