Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week my 4-cell car went into failsafe mode with this new system on the track. I was surprised since it sounded like it was working fine for people. After sending the unit to Futaba for inspection and more investigation I think I've found the flaw.

According to the manual (link down below) the unit will enter Failsafe at 4.75V or lower. In addition the receiver spec requires 6V. I called Futaba and they agreed it's an issue since we can easily run under the 4.75V. They stated they would communicate the issue to Japan.

In any case, until a change is made to accomodate 4-Cell racing I'm done with this. If they sort it out, the system will be perfect. Of course I could run a receiver pack, but I prefer not to. -Pete

http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/futl8926-fasst-2_4ghz-manual.pdf

·
Registered
167 Posts
How long are you racing for and what class? I read that in the manual also when I first purchased the system. So, what I did was I cycled one of my packs and watched the voltage of my battery and it didn't drop below 4.75 for over 300 seconds. I used it the whole time at the snowbirds and have used it since the birds running 19t with no receiver pack and haven't had the first problem. Did Futaba find anything wrong with it when you sent it back?

Scott

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been racing for many years. Several trips to the Snowbirds. I can see that it can work for some, and possibly the threshold is lower than stated but still it's borderline.

Futaba said the unit was perfectly fine. It's too big a risk for me to run it as is. -Pete

·
Registered
780 Posts
I was racing with Pete when his car went into the wall full speed. Not a pretty sight! This was at the beginning of a 4 minute heat, so there was no way that the pack was under 5 volts, no less 4.75. Sounds like they have some work to do (as Spektrum did) to make them 4 cell friendly.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pancartom, yes the car had a full charge on it. I agree the entire situation was shady. Never had a car ever do anything like that. The new radio system was the only variable from that I can see. -Pete

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Boy I feel bad for you, I have 3 units and have run them since they became available and I have yet to have a single problem. I run 4 cell 5 minutes in 4300 and 13.5 with no receiver pack. I was concerned when I read the instructions about 6 volts, and even purchased a receiver pack and have never used it. I run almost every weekend at our local tracks and travel with the BRL, some of the events had over 100 entries.

I am not sponsored by anyone, but the system has worked perfectly for me, 3 cars and 3 different receivers and the 3PK radio, the best system I have ever used.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
friend of mine had the same problem he has the newest version of the 3pk and he had to run the car in ppm mode. like Awhite said

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
make sure it is not the transmitter it self that is not fail safing. I have had days that I got lazy doing practice runs and if the tx voltage goes down to 9volts it will shut the car down. I dont run the fast system but it is very possible that is your trouble. make sure to keep your radio plugged into the charger all the time when using the standard 8 cell battery they come with.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Whoa.... I'm just trying to figure out what happened here. I run a Spektrum in my 3PK, and it will only work in the PPM mode. Does the FAST system work in the other transmitter modes? Pete, what mode was the transmitter in?

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
phew pete i was almost going to buy it..i had the same issues with the spektrum. full throttle right into the wall. i'll stick with xtls for a little while longer. i hate receiver packs!

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Faast 3pm-2.4g System Requires The Digital 9650 Fut Servo To Run In Hrs @ 6v Along With 6v For The Reciever To Operate.
Regardless Of What Mode Your In For 4 Cell Racing Will This Be A Problem Without A Reciever Pack ?

Help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also My Reciever Is The Latest R603ff .
I Hear Some Having Problems In 4 Cell And Some Not.
Also Do You Have To Use Fail-safe Mode Everytime You Powerup?
IT SEEMED THAT THE PROBLEM WAS FROM ANOTHER RECEIVER NOT THE R603FF.
Help

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
I ran mine for the first time this weekend in 4cell 4300... In practice I ran packs out the back untill the car would no longer roll and had no problems... I didnt use a receiver pack or cap... I ran 3 packs completely dead just to test.. I never had an issue.. However I did run in PPM mode.. the Fassst in PPM mode was still faster than my PCM was so I saw no need to use the hrs mode..

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have been running the FASST system in my 12th scale with the old 3PJ system since Christmas. I have had zero issues. I have to run it in the PPM mode because of the 3PJ. I have run it in both 4 min and 8 min races and no issues to date.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts