Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got me a new 3PK PCM radio (the one with the big screen TV on the back !) and am setting it up for a Futaba 9602 servo in the car.

Because of where the servo centers itself, and thus where the servo saver ends up (I've tried a couple different teeth on the servo saver), I have to set the steering trim at about 70 or 75 to get the servo saver exctly centered.

I have the D/R set at 35%.

As a result, I have to mess around with the steering EPAs to get the same amount of steering in both directions, given the fact that the steering trim is set so high. It seems like the more steering trim you use in one direction, the less steering you get in that direction, unless you compensate by setting the steering EPA higher in that direction.

For example, if I set the steering trim to the left 75 to center the servo saver, then I have to set the steering left EPA to 120% to get the same amount of wheel travel left as I have to the right -- the the right EPA is set at 60%.

I didn't have to mess around like this to get the same left and right amount of steering with my old Futaba 3PJ, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something here.

Thanks for any help !

Jeff.

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep it is. The shaft of the servo is dead-nuts on the centerline of the car.

When I say "center" for the servo saver, i mean getting the arm on the servo saver exactly perpendicular to the chassis.

Thx.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
what servo saver is it? I know the large kimbrough ones have inserts for different types of servo's.

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah -- it's the large white Kimbrough servo saver.

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DavePull -- I just tried taking that back adaptor off of the servo saver and moving it one tooth. Now when I put the servo saver back on the servo, I only need to set the steering trim to 25 -- not 75 to get the servo saver exactly centered. That should help a bunch.

Thanks for thinking of that !

Jeff.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
maybe that insert is off a tooth and the new radio has a finer adjustment for the trim I would try getting that insert out and moving till you get it closer to center. also when I set up a radio I set everything to zero then turn the car on and level the saver with the subtrim then I set toe then check the atv which I set @ 100 and adjust from there.the turning radius.

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So what is the difference between the EPA -- which has seperate settings for L and R -- and ATV ??

Thx again.

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Hank + Davepull --

Also after further reading in the manual, it looks like I should be using the subtrim to center the servo saver first (not the steering trim) as the subtrim moves the entire travel range. The steering trim just moves the servo WITHIN the range. That's why the more steering trim I used in a given direction, the less servo travel I had in that direction -- because the trim adjustment was using some of that travel.

Thx guys.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Uh Gee,
I,ve been seriousley considering purchasing a Futaba 3PK transmitter, ease of setup and adjustments are concerning me :confused: . After normal setup is this transmitter user freindly? and can the normal racetime adjustments be made without having the manual on the drivers stand with you?
Also I,ve always used a FM transmitter how does PCM compare? I believe the 3PK is availible with either.
Davepull,
Hows that 12th scale comin? Lil Hyperdrive is sweet isnt it :)

Later, Lee Helander :cool:
Velocity R/C

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
The 3PK is the best radio I have owned to date.
At first I thought it was tough to navigate but once I figured out which button to press to get you into the menus, its pretty easy after that.

It actually has 3 menu modes.
1. Beginner - Only brings up the real simple and basic features
2. Intermediate - Simple features plus some others
3. Advanced- Menu has all the features this radio has that you can adjust.

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What I really LOVE about it is that it has **2** dual rate modes.

If I have a track where I'm running real low D/R -- like 20% -- you can't turn the car around with the steering set so low. But with the second D/R, all I do is hit a button and I can have full steering on that D/R to do a quick U-turn or what ever I need. Then I just release the button and I'm back to "race mode" D/R.

I also like the ability to control the servo speed, but I haven't played with that yet. EROCK -- are you using that ?? If so, how much have you slowed the steering servo down ??

Jeff.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
You are correct to use only the subtrim to center the servo. If you use the 2 button trims above the steering wheel, it will cause the car to turn more in one direction and less in the other. On the direct menu, #4 goes directly to sub trims. In racing, I never use the buttons above the the wheel unless the the front end gets tweaked during a race. Make sure that before you use the subtrim that the trim above the wheel is centered first.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
TeamGoodwrench said:
I also like the ability to control the servo speed, but I haven't played with that yet. EROCK -- are you using that ?? If so, how much have you slowed the steering servo down ??

Jeff.
Jeff - I use this feature alot. On tight tracks I try and keep it 100% on both Input and Return this way you get all the steering you can get. But on tracks, like our asphalt track, (which has sweeping turns) I usually lower the Input to 75% and reduce the Return to 50%, then adjust from there. I find on tracks like this where the turns are sweeping it helps you hold a better line and gives you that slight adjustment when say a spring change might be too much.

Some have even fooled around with changing the steering exponential curve, where say you turn the wheel all the way and it gets in hard and then you set the radio so the curve changes throughout the turn, i.e. so you can keep the wheel all the way turned but the steering lessens from center off. I haven't even begun to delve into that territory, LOL

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
rockin_bob13 said:
You are correct to use only the subtrim to center the servo. If you use the 2 button trims above the steering wheel, it will cause the car to turn more in one direction and less in the other. On the direct menu, #4 goes directly to sub trims. In racing, I never use the buttons above the the wheel unless the the front end gets tweaked during a race. Make sure that before you use the subtrim that the trim above the wheel is centered first.
Also,on my 3PK,I programmed the knob just (kinda) above the steering trim buttons & next to the antenna for steering subtrim adjustment. This way,you wouln't have to fumble through the different menus to look for "Steering Subtrim". Very handy in case you forget or you're in a hurry! The book will show you how to program all of those various buttons for whatever you want!
-George

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Ok,
I steped up bit the bullet and bought a Futaba Magnum 3PK today, fixin to sit down and read the manual. George and Dave P. I might need a grace period for grumblin on the drivers stand :lol: I,ll be at HW the next Sat nite race so dont hide!

Later, Lee Helander :cool:
Velocity R/C

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
I just checked the book and atv is what futaba called epa on the Super3PJ. so they are the samething and which means that you adjust it per side

1 - 20 of 50 Posts