Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For 10 or more years NASCAR type cars use a front steer system...that is the steering arms are in front of the front axle and spindle...Formula 1 uses this steering also....and maybe other forms of racing. So my question is ...what is the advantage? and will this translate to 1/4 scale?

Larry

·
Registered
206 Posts
Larry, I worked with NASCAR teams for about 25 yrs. I worked on both front steer & rear steer cars during that time. One reason that they all changed to front steer in NASCAR was with a front steer car, you could get the motor down lower in the chassis, because on a rear steer chassis the steering drag or center link was in the way. You could only go so far & you would hit the oil pan. The headers would hit too. After we got to fooling with bump steer, e.t.c. we found out that the front steer car was much easier on the tires. With a front steer, when you turn the wheel, it actually turns the front of the tire first, helping it turn into the corner. With a rear steer, when you turn the wheel, it's dragging the rear of the tire more & increases the tire wear. I worked for Laughlin Racing back then & around 1981 all the teams had to go to the smaller car. We had already built some fast short track front steer cars, so it was natural to start building the Cup cars the same way. We built the little car for Bobby Allison, went to Daytona & kicked all their butts. By 1983 or so, we were building about 95% of all of them. They still run the front steer chassis today. Our design was based on a 65' Chevelle. As far as would it help with a 1/4 scale? Maybe? But I think the big difference would be the weight of our cars vs. theirs. Interesting though. Sorry to be so long, hope it helps.

Ken Dillard #00

·
Registered
474 Posts
I guess I haven't looked closely at Q scale cars other than WCM's but mine is a "front steer" setup. Are other manufacturers different?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I guess I haven't looked closely at Q scale cars other than WCM's but mine is a "front steer" setup. Are other manufacturers different?
I think most are rear steer. Probably because of the ease of mounting the steering servo's more than anything. Like I said before, I don't know if the front steer design would help our cars. With a stock car, you're talking a lot more weight up front with the motor being there.

Ken Dillard #00

1 - 6 of 6 Posts