What's needed, got images??

(Using old school Associated front end)

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Pan Car Front end w/ B3 Kingpins and short upper arms

What's needed, got images??

(Using old school Associated front end)
You can use the old a arms.Use rpm ball cups take a 1/8 drill bit and open up the rpm ends a bit.

You will need the ksg machined steering blocks or hyperdrive cut down steering blocks.

Jake

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
i have always just used standard associated blocks and filed them down smooth.. takes a few minutes but save you some green... you will be happy once you switch to b3 king pins.. i did it about 2 years ago and never looked back...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Joe, why don't you just come to the best guys on the west coast and one the best in the nation and ask for help. We can show you exactly what you need to do and how to do it. Pretty simple. You have the best oval facility this side the Mississippi, come over, ask for help or pointers and we'll get you going. Simple...:wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
uh....cause I'm not there - and when I am, isn't the time to be building stuff....and I wouldn't remember long enough to get it home. (Which is why I asked for PHOTOS)

I have been told - but don't comprehend all I hear sometimes -

·
Registered
743 Posts
hey guy i have a Q. when you are polishing your kingpins do you sand them down first and if so what grit do you use. also do you put any thing on the king pin, and if so what kind and how much. i have been fighting with front ends for a long time trying to get them smooth. my way be bound up. i think it feel right, when one of the fast guys check it, not right at all. what do i need to look for or feel for that i am not understanding. i am really trying to understand what to feel for. i wish some one had a video on how to do it. i was told the front end is the most inportant part of the car because it helps you get in and off the corners, any help is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
hey guy i have a Q. when you are polishing your kingpins do you sand them down first and if so what grit do you use. also do you put any thing on the king pin, and if so what kind and how much. any help is very much appreciated :thumbsup:
I use 1500 and wet sand them just a bit then use polishing compound I just chuck up the king pin in a drill.

Jake

·
Registered
65 Posts
Joe, why don't you just come to the best guys on the west coast and one the best in the nation and ask for help. We can show you exactly what you need to do and how to do it. Pretty simple. You have the best oval facility this side the Mississippi, come over, ask for help or pointers and we'll get you going. Simple...:wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

+1 buddy. All it takes is time and a question. Pretty simple to me.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Uh that's why we offer help to every single person that asks, hell we stop what were doing and do all the work for anybody that asks, case in point last Lou race, Kenny started helping Tj, his car improved night and day difference. Why because he asked and Kenny went out of his way to help,,

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
do you put lube on the upper ball on the b3 kingpin?
No if it sticks and is not free take a pair of plyers and smash the ball cup make sure it is on the king pin do the same thing to all the ball studs on the steering if you are using ball studs.

I don't like to use any lube I make my front end as free as it can get no hang ups you might need to run a bit through the pivot balls allso buy hand not by a drill.Then I use a trusty #2 and color the inside of the pivot ball.

I know most use lube but it all ways seems to get filled with dirt tire dust ect so I don't.

Jake

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
If you can use the KSG pivot balls as they raise up the steering block if you use a ase style one at least use one .020 shim under the steering block so you do not get any rub using a lot of camber.

You shoud allso use an hobby knife and relief cut the top and bottom of the pivot hole, in the lower a arm.

Jake

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, so I have short RPM Ball Cups -

*I'm going to run the 1/8" drill bit by hand in the ball opening to help free them up on the ball a little.

*Using a #2 Pencil I'm going to basically use the graphite to lube the inside of the ball cup.

*I'll sand w/ 1500 Wet Paper my B3 Kingpins before I polish (w/ semichrome)

Do I need to ream out the threaded part of the ball cup / drill it for the threaded adjusting screw?

Do I need to shorten the short ball cup at all?

What do you use on the upper arms to free them up on the upper hinge pin so they drop free?

Do you also do the pencil/graphite deal on the lower pivot balls?

When you use your hobby knife to relieve the lower pivot balls, do you basically just use it like a ridge reamer to chamfer the top and bottom of the holes?

(I Haven't built a pan car front end in SO long - and I never took much time in building them right even when I did)

Someone should do a clear and consise YouTube video on this and put it on Shawn's OVALRC.com web site.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts