Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both models are by Detail Cars & are two of their best castings.

Austin-Healey Sprite Mk I





MG Midget Mk III





:wave:

Steve
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,377 Posts
I always thought the bug eye Sprite was a unique car.

Thanks for sharing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,432 Posts
I got to love the Spridget. I've got a MkIII Midget with over 500,000 hard miles on it. Engine still has no ware on it and is still running the same tappets. I've also got a Bugeye I hope to restore one day but the whole floor board is gone. I really like the "Fidget" better than the Bugeye for getting from point "A" to "B" and back as well as handling. But the Bugeye exudes class.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ClearHooter said:
I got to love the Spridget. I've got a MkIII Midget with over 500,000 hard miles on it. Engine still has no ware on it and is still running the same tappets. I've also got a Bugeye I hope to restore one day but the whole floor board is gone. I really like the "Fidget" better than the Bugeye for getting from point "A" to "B" and back as well as handling. But the Bugeye exudes class.
The "Frogeye" (remember I'm British), is one of those cars, which everbody loves. It is just so right :)

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,432 Posts
Frog Eye = Bug Eye
Bonnett = Hood
Hood = Roof
Boot = Trunk
Wing = Door or Fender?
Spanner = Wrench
Tappet = Lifter
Pissed = Drunk
Shag = Well...Not the dance here in the States.

And George Whitworth should have been castrated, stripped of his citizenship and deported to Antartica. His wire wheels suck and his fastners are bastard to everything in the world. I had nightmares about a union between Whitworth and Lucas. Talk about a giant step back into the Stoneage?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ClearHooter said:
Frog Eye = Bug Eye
Bonnett = Hood
Hood = Roof
Boot = Trunk
Wing = Door or Fender?
Spanner = Wrench
Tappet = Lifter
Pissed = Drunk
Shag = Well...Not the dance here in the States.

And George Whitworth should have been castrated, stripped of his citizenship and deported to Antartica. His wire wheels suck and his fastners are bastard to everything in the world. I had nightmares about a union between Whitworth and Lucas. Talk about a giant step back into the Stoneage?
Divided by a common language.....

Wing = Fender
Saloon = Sedan
Estate = Station Wagon
Indicators = Blinkers
Rollbar = Swaybar (?)
Silencer = Muffler
Oversteer = Loose
Understeer = Tight
Braces = Suspenders
Trousers = Pants
Waistcoat = Vest
Petrol = Gas
Draughts = Checkers


etc

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
I had to learn:
lift = elevator
loo = bathroom
agency = dealership
tyre = tire
parkade = parking garage
motorway = freeway
public school = private school (or maybe it's the other way around)
tube = subway
coach = bus
hire car = rental car
football = soccer
bangers = sausage
reception = front desk
first floor = second floor
"mind the gap" - ranchero
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,432 Posts
BLYME Gov'ner! Can speak British, I can. :p Still can't spell it worth a darn though. :thumbsup:

HEY JINX!!!

I've got a serious question. I've owned a British car since 1970. The same one actually. No matter what I do, if I let it set or run the crap out of it, I still have to replace the brake hydralics every two or three years. I also have to go through those Lucar Connectors with 22 cal barrel brush to remove the oxidation that builds up on them. North Carolina ain't nearly as balmy nor humid as Brittian.

Do, or did, you guys have to do the same thing to the older British rides?

I know the latter MG's and Triumphs went to quick disconnects which I assume solved most of the problems. But by then JRT had screwed the BMC / Leyland cars up so bad; stopping and seeing at night were the least of the worries. The way they put the Standpart motor and tranny in the Midget was like a type "A" liver being transplanted into a B- body. I saw more than one Midget actually reject the motor. As in, the mounts broke and the only thing that kept it from hitting the ground was the crossmember.

But if y'all have a trick (other than "Export the bloody things.")to that Lucas / Gurling question I'd sure like to know the answer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ClearHooter said:
BLYME Gov'ner! Can speak British, I can. :p Still can't spell it worth a darn though. :thumbsup:

HEY JINX!!!

I've got a serious question. I've owned a British car since 1970. The same one actually. No matter what I do, if I let it set or run the crap out of it, I still have to replace the brake hydralics every two or three years. I also have to go through those Lucar Connectors with 22 cal barrel brush to remove the oxidation that builds up on them. North Carolina ain't nearly as balmy nor humid as Brittian.

Do, or did, you guys have to do the same thing to the older British rides?

I know the latter MG's and Triumphs went to quick disconnects which I assume solved most of the problems. But by then JRT had screwed the BMC / Leyland cars up so bad; stopping and seeing at night were the least of the worries. The way they put the Standpart motor and tranny in the Midget was like a type "A" liver being transplanted into a B- body. I saw more than one Midget actually reject the motor. As in, the mounts broke and the only thing that kept it from hitting the ground was the crossmember.

But if y'all have a trick (other than "Export the bloody things.")to that Lucas / Gurling question I'd sure like to know the answer.
Asking me for advice on keeping a British car running?

Not a good idea, for several reasons. Two in particular stand out.

1. Mechanically, I am totally, utterly inept - if something goes wrong, I know a freindly mechanic.

2. I've never owned a British built car. German, yes, French, yes, Spanish, yes, Italian, yes, Japanese, yes. At present I've got a French Talbot-Matra Murena & a Czech Skoda Octavia vRS.

You'll have better luck consulting a crystal ball for the answers you seek. Either that or keep repeating the mantra "42, 42, 42, 42". 42 of course, is the answer to the meaning of life, the universe & everything. :)

:thumbsup:

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,432 Posts
Hummmm. I just figured that was something that was a genetic trait. Ya know? After so many generations of having to deal with it; Its passed down from one generation to another. Oh Well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The trouble with genetics - generations can be skipped - anyway when you bought the MG in 1970, I was still nine years away from getting a driving licence, by which time, most of the problems had been, if not solved, at least lessened.

I suppose I took the easy way out & bought a Honda - mechanically great, though shame about the rust!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,755 Posts
ClearHooter said:
Hummmm. I just figured that was something that was a genetic trait. Ya know? After so many generations of having to deal with it; Its passed down from one generation to another. Oh Well.
Yep that's a common missconception, all brits can tune SU Carburettors.

(even Elton John and the Queen) :wave:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,432 Posts
That's a nice picture. Not a Stromberg in sight. :thumbsup:

I prided myself on being able to cure just about anything that ailed a BMC car. But the brakes and the wiring were something that seemed to require constant service. Before I closed shop, I started trying to seal the Lucar Connectors with silicon to try and keep the enevitable corrosion down on those pot metal bullets and ends. I did seem to help. My MG's been off the road about 5 years now, awaiting its 4th genesis. I suppose if I throw the power to it and all the electrics work I've accomplished something. If not, I bet I got a huge mess with old silicon to clean up. :drunk:

The brakes....Another story. I've tried Castrol DOT5 and Silicon with supposedly somekind of outrageous DOT rating. Those natural rubber seals just don't survive. Always said if someone would come up with synthetic seals for British cars they'd make a fortune. Any engineers out there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,755 Posts
That Pic was hijacked BTW.
I do own a 1966 or 67 or 65 MG Midget. (The Title says 1966) I replaced the brake pads rotors and wheel cylinders, bled the brakes and was extremely pleased. About two months later I had to move the car. got in and mashed down on the brake pedal- flat,to the floor. Back to start don't pass go and surrender $200 for some more parts from MOSS. :tongue:
I love the car.
and I am determined to "fix it up".
Even if it Kills me. :freak:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,432 Posts
Yeah. Know what you mean about the years crossing over. My drivetrain is 1970. The body is a '72. Mine's almost killed me several times. But the one that caused the change over to the '72 body was the worst. Went to Charlotte to see Gatemouth Brown and Vasser Clements at Double Door (A Charlotte icon). Statute of limitations has long run out on this tale. Many multipule beers were consumed during the show. An excellent one it was too. Couldn't find a babe to spend the night with that evening so like a DA I drove the 40 miles home. Did fine until I got about 1 mile from my house. As I burned up State Line Road and came to the "T" intersection that made the turn to go to my house I hit the brakes. I heard that metallic sound as the pedal hit the floor. I had just enough time to say OH Shhhh and grab second. I exchanged paint with a wooden stop sign post and that helped kick me sideways into the ditch heading in the right direction to go home. I was still probably running 55 mph then. Everything would have been fine but some dufass stuck a State Line sign in my way. Got the hood, grill, valance and rocker panel on the left side. That was just too much to fix on my budget. Finally found the '72 a couple years later and swapped everthing out. I estimate the drivetrain has over 500,000 miles on it. Its an estimate 'cause everytime the car gets over 100mph it rings the speedo off.

The Midget is one of THE BEST handling cars I ever planted my butt in. As many times as the car's tried to kill me through brake failure its saved my sorry butt 10 times over through its nimble handling. Hope you get yours running. They're well worth the pain.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top