Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have painted a base coat to my Reliant with a mix of paints and got the right color...now I have to do the dreaded "Aztec" pattern and use Frisket Paper. I got some Frisket Paper, printed out my template on printer paper and taped it to the frisket. I cut it out with a hobby knife and got done, but when I try to peel it off, it just tears. This is the thinnest adhesive film I have ever seen. Is there a paper/film that is a little thicker, that wouldn't tear?? Also, I am using Frisket Film, is there such a thing called Frisket Paper? If anyone has used this stuff, please give me some advice. This frisket is giving me headaches.

·
Registered
55 Posts
fiercegaming said:
I have painted a base coat to my Reliant with a mix of paints and got the right color...now I have to do the dreaded "Aztec" pattern and use Frisket Paper. I got some Frisket Paper, printed out my template on printer paper and taped it to the frisket. I cut it out with a hobby knife and got done, but when I try to peel it off, it just tears. This is the thinnest adhesive film I have ever seen. Is there a paper/film that is a little thicker, that wouldn't tear?? Also, I am using Frisket Film, is there such a thing called Frisket Paper? If anyone has used this stuff, please give me some advice. This frisket is giving me headaches.

My experience was the same. I hope someone here can shed some light on this!

·
Registered
404 Posts
The only thing I can think of is you need many #11 blades (new blades) I've used it many times, but always need sharp blades.

Gerry-Lynn

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So, this is the stuff you actually use? Wow, how many man hours you have to put in with this stuff is just crazy, I haven't got one piece of Aztec Pattern to come out right and I have tried it about 10-15 times. I think I might just look around for something else, if anyone else has used other stuff, let me know. Thanks for the knife tip though, I am not sure what # my knives are, but I got a standard hobby knife. I've also tried a very small scissors that was my best bet. Also I have tried to print directly to it, but it doesn't dry and smears. So Frisket Film and Frisket Paper is one in the same? Anyone else use this stuff or somthing better?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks fernieo, I got something like the 2nd one. It is called Magic Cover, for shelfs and drawers, it is a Self Adhesive Decorative Covering, and the adhesive isn't that sticky, I think I will try this, and if this doesn't work, I will try what you suggested, thanks a lot for the reply, I will let ya know how well this works....thanks.

Well This material worked like a charm. It peeled off great, just not that sticky, but hey it will work. First I will mix a color slightly darker than the base, and than put a gloss coat after that color goes on and dries. Haven't decided, is it a good idea to gloss coat the "Aztec" design? I probably could have put a gloss coat over the base or vice versa?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
veedubb67 said:
Why not use Aztek Dummy's templates? You'll save your sanity.

LOL...there is just as much sanity lost in applying the AD templates :) :)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I used Lou's templates on my Wee NX-01. At first I was overwhelmed, but after a while I got into a groove placing them on the kit. Removing them was sorta Zen-like; I just sat in a comfortable chair with a hobby knife and a pair of tweezers. Took my time and presto!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts