Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made out of all the crap i have laying around!
Man, I love being poor with a brain and 2 hands
that still work after all the crack I've done!:wave:

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
will watch the vid soon but aint it nice having a working brain that can repurpose things!? few months ago went to the scrap yard to haul off some scrap metal and found an air compressor sitting off to the side so i bought it for 35$ got home took her appart, thing was from the 80's and still had the factory cylinder honing crosshatches! and figured out why it was scrapped besides the "white rust: stopping the valves from working was the idiot removed the load genie! probably thought it was a leak and got rid of it and then the compressor didnt run right and stored...was a great find for 35$! with the sophisticated finishes stuff you did stick it in a bag with as much plastic touching the body as possible right? i need to find the msds of that stuff so i can figure out whats in it, im betting the first layer is just iron powder and some sort of adhesive and the top layer is something to make the iron rust...

·
Registered
491 Posts
John
you say you have 3 times tried to get the sophistocated finishes to rust your truck and it has not yet rusted. try this strip off what you have done so far. next in the areas you want to rust put a coat of primer or flat paint my guess is you are putting the s.f. rust on bare diecast metal. that is one thing it will not work on it has to have some kind of primer or paint if you just put it on the bare diecast metal it just turns a dark gray or black. (note:) after putting on the gray metalic surfacer let it dry for awhile or speed up the dry time using a hair dryer.then dab on the solution.after putting on the rusting solution place the truck in a plastic bread type bag and blow air from a drier into the bag so it looks like a baloon and clamp it shut this creates humidity wich the more humid the better it will rust. a few hours in the bag should do it.
Manny

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
also make sure the base coat(the heavy grey iron stuff) is stirred up in the bottle before ya use it...sometimes just shaking it won't work as the iron settles to the bottom.

it's the same stuff i use...once ya get the hang of it, (practice) it's toooooo much fun!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts