Hobbyist Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
of all the Wal-Mart bashing threads. Essentially, it has been driving me away from the board too. I'm glad whomever is moderating the board has decided to lock them down.
I don't have a problem with this thread getting locked either, but I wanted to express my dissastisfaction with some of the members on here who for lack of understanding are judging people they don't even know.
You may be asking your self why I would be , umm, upset, or dissapointed with what is being said here.
I'm going to explain.
My wife works at the local Wal-Mart here. The judging of people that work at these stores is pretty bad, from members here, and most of those folks doing the judging are stereotyping any person working their.
Well, for one, my wife makes more money than I do.
The other part, she owned her own business and is very smart.
We've gotten this far with the problems that arose in our lives that were uncontrollable.
So, in all honesty, I'm really just dissapointed in some of the members here.
I've said my piece, and now you all know where I stand.
Let's get back to cars and Johnny Lightning's please.
See ya on the boards.

Chris Batson

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I apologize for any disparaging remarks that might have offended you, or your wife.
Although much of my rants were directed towards "less than courteous" customers,I said a few things regarding specific employees that I should have best kept to myself.
At any rate,the WM threads are floating away and I'll probably say something else derrogatory,some other day, on an entirely different subject,.

no hard feelings.

·
Banned
2,477 Posts
to be honest,,,,,,,

to be honest i too am tired, very tired. as much as i like to be involved in controvery and get to the facts, i have in the last week gone behond what can be figured out anyway. and yes, this is supposed to be a JL diecast BB,,,,,,,so im gonna make my posts related to just that.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
As a former Wal-Mart employee, I also hated these threads. Yes there are some "evil" employees, just as there are at any retail chain, but theres also some great ones. If you haven't run across some of the good one, I'm sorry but they are out there, I've worked with them. Yes I've seen employees grab the TH's out of cases but I have to say in my time there I saw more hording done by the "collectors" then the employees. But I certainly wouldn't judge all collectors by those few. I guess stereotyping of any kind gets on my nerves but especially when I'm part (or was part) of the group being stereotyped.

Bobby, I don't think all Wal-Mart threads should be closed down, just the real bashing ones, just as any bashing of any store or individual shouldn't be allowed to continue.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Boy, topic's get awfully steamy around here. Some people are very opinionated and some are very thin-skinned. It just gets better and better with each and every post. Yes, you can't generalize about Employees at stores like Wal*Mart but riddle me this, why do they have those friggin stupid morning Hoorah meetings at both Target and Wal*Mart stores but yet I can walk by every one of those employees who were present at the pow-wows and not get even a simple hello, how ya' doing today!?! They do need to concentrate more on customer friendliness at both chains in their cute little morning get-togethers..

·
Registered
886 Posts
I agree. I don't feel that the "bashing" threads need be posted on this board. I have responded to/posted on said threads in the past but I will no longer do so. I hope other people here agree with me and most threads started will be JL, diecast or car related. I like to see and talk about those subjects here. After all, I get on the computer for a little relaxing entertainment, not heated, opinionated debate.
...did somebody mention Firebirds?... :lol:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
wall mart just has a few managment issues but i find alot of the emoployees to be very kind and helpful however most in the toy section are rude to collectors so i got to housewears and ask about cars sometimes the lady there brings some out even

some employees are bad i know of one a wally who give alot of like everthing good to one guy but in the most part i find them to be ok

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
79'Tranzamman said:
Boy, topic's get awfully steamy around here. Some people are very opinionated and some are very thin-skinned.
I really wasn't going to address this thread anymore as I had said my piece, but I knew that someone here would surely add the "thin-skin" argument, or should I say stir the pot with this adage?

To be quite blunt, we all are opinionated and thin skinned, just depends on what the topic at hand is.

rwwcarguy/midtown could either of you lock this please? Thanks for your consideration.
Chris

·
Registered
481 Posts
In my area they aim to please they just dont speak English so you just have to be patient and repeat yourself 3 times...but once they understand they are on the case!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hmmmmmm........looks like I missed the bashing thread, but this is my read after 4 years in the retail biz.
I now work at Home Depot, after spending 30 years manufacturing. I started out working production, then moved into management and engineering. I enjoy living in wide open West Michigan, close to my and my wife's relatives more than I miss the larger paychecks that I could get by chasing automotive jobs to a larger city down south or around Detroit.
We used to have the "stupid morning Hoorah" meetings at Home Depot. I don't know if corporate dropped the requirement for the cheering, or if our store manager just realized that it didn't motivate our marginal employees, and that the good associates didn't really appreciate the 'cult like' aspect of it. Greeting customers is a core value of Home Depot, and you can be fired for repeatedly not doing it. [This doesn't mean that all Home Depots are good at it! I've been in some Depots that made me embarrassed that I was associated with the company.]
I think that retail workers who ignore customers just don't know how to deal with the ingorant and/or rude customers that they are sometimes forced to deal with. You meet the best and the worst people when your job requires daily customer service. The good or neutral customers that I deal with outnumber the losers by at least 100 to 1. I crack jokes with the customers, sometimes spend 15 minutes helping that little old lady find a $.97 bag of screws that will be the only thing that she will buy today, and generally enjoy 85% of my job. 80% of my co-workers do a good job, 10% are exceptional, and 10% should be shot. Corporate keeps us staffed lean so that we can show profits to the stock holders, and give mega-million dollar bonuses to the boys on top. Not a whole lot different from what I experienced in electronics, plastic or automotive manufacturing plants! ;)

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
I spent nearly five and a half years working two different Wal*Mart stores. Sometimes I can be critical of Wal*Mart, but the stores I worked for, well, we won't go there. Needless to say I've got horror stories, but I also have a few nice stories I could relate too (if it wasn't for a coworker I met at Wal*Mart, I wouldn't have gone to the Bristol NASCAR race a few weeks back ;) ).

There are good employees, managers, and customers, as well as bad ones. On any given day a good person can be in a bad mood. Likewise even the 'ugliest' employee can have a good day.

In reality, no different than life.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Corporate bashing

I understand what you mean. I get tired of so many people assuming that everyone who works at TRU is corrupt, on the take and stupid. I do have some issues with the company. I've worked for them many years. I know lots of others who have worked there for years, as well. There are lots of good people there too.

I have more issues with the customers than the company. Granted, some of the stores could be run better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.