Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These were a Christmas present from my wife four years ago. I received two on Christmas day, and then one came every other month or so. It also came with a nice wood display for hanging on the wall.
She thought the entire set was $88.00. It wasn't until I noticed a bill that said each was about $80.00, and her credit card was being hit for half every month until I got the last car. She was shell shocked!
Very nice and realistic, highly detailed.

'61 Lincoln Continental & '63 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz

'63 Studebaker Avanti & '63 Rambler Classic 660

Pontiac GTO & T-Bird

'68 Charger R/T & '67 Camaro SS

My biggest complaint is that they aren't very good sending the Certificates of Authenticity. They would send different kinds of certificates, and even shorted me on two of them. Repeated emails and calls and I still never got them. They'd also send a nice four page booklet with an exploded view of the pieces, info on the car, and it's specifications. But that only came with two of the cars. For what these cost, you'd think they'd do a better job on this kind of stuff.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
They are expensive, aren't they! But they are pretty cool! Did you get the whole set, or just these? My dad got lucky at a G-Sale about 10 years ago and got one of their early sets with shelf for about $50 for all.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really can't tell you how many were in the set. I thought there were more but they never came, although the shelf looks like the eight are just right.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
I have about 5 Franklin Mint 1/43 scale diecast cars, but I don't have any of the cars that you posted pics of.

I remember the cars of the '50's being $55, and the cars of the '60's being $65.

There was a Franklin Mint Store in a mall in the area where I live until about 3 years ago. I bought a couple there and a few at toy shows. The price for them at the toy shows was $20-$25 each in the original box.

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Those are nice pieces. I have that Avanti and I like it a lot. However, I wish the door hinges weren't so bulky. I don't know if they could have been made a bit lighter duty or not, but when I open the doors of that model, the hinges remind me of steel girders. Other than that I have no complaints.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
STUTZ said:
I remember the cars of the '50's being $55, and the cars of the '60's being $65.

There was a Franklin Mint Store in a mall in the area where I live until about 3 years ago. I bought a couple there and a few at toy shows. The price for them at the toy shows was $20-$25 each in the original box.
$65 would have been a little better. I found the shipping summary. She had two payments per car, at $32.50 each, plus $3.50 for tax & 4.95 shipping, for a total of $73.45. You were right on the price of the car.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Hi Dadvball. I don't know if you saw the thread ("A $0.52 find...........check it out") that I started because there weren't any replies to it. I bought the car pictured below for $0.52. The story is in my thread. I guess you just never know what you may find in your travels. I makes me wonder what my wife will do with my diecast cars if something happens to me, and where they will end up finding a new home.

A Franklin Mint 1957 Corvette.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An awfully nice grab for $.52. :thumbsup:

It's funny though, I'm surprised my wife would buy these, regardless of the price. She also bought me one of the 12 car releases (back when you could get 12 different cars in the inner) of 50th Anniversary corvettes for my 50th birthday. It really was thoughtful of her.
But she really doesn't like my hobby. She thinks I'm nuts with all these little cars. My collection will most likely end up on the front lawn when she has a yard sale after I'm gone. :lol:

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Dadvball said:
An awfully nice grab for $.52. :thumbsup:

My collection will most likely end up on the front lawn when she has a yard sale after I'm gone. :lol:

So just make sure you outlast her :tongue:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Dadvball said:
My collection will most likely end up on the front lawn when she has a yard sale after I'm gone. :lol:
4 or 5 years ago, I was asked to clean up some cars so a recent widow could sell them. My brother knew the guy, and he had helped the wife sell a ton of Harley parts and tools. They dropped off 5 boxes of Franklin Mint cars, about 75 in all, and I was told I could keep a few for my work. They were a mess - no boxes, no paperwork, filthy dirty - but I sat and cleaned every one of them. I kept a couple of the 1/43 and three of the 1/24 cars, for myself. Don't you know nobody ever picked up the rest of those cars? They've been wrapped up and packed in boxes in my storage shed for years now. Somehow, I think the statute of limitations may be up soon. ;)

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
scrambler81 said:
4 or 5 years ago, I was asked to clean up some cars so a recent widow could sell them. My brother knew the guy, and he had helped the wife sell a ton of Harley parts and tools. They dropped off 5 boxes of Franklin Mint cars, about 75 in all, and I was told I could keep a few for my work. They were a mess - no boxes, no paperwork, filthy dirty - but I sat and cleaned every one of them. I kept a couple of the 1/43 and three of the 1/24 cars, for myself. Don't you know nobody ever picked up the rest of those cars? They've been wrapped up and packed in boxes in my storage shed for years now. Somehow, I think the statute of limitations may be up soon. ;)
Your post has me drooling scrambler81!

What are you waiting for? Get out to that storage shed and save them by bringing them in the house out of that cold storage shed :p !

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I really hate to be a naysayer but I have just 2 FM models, the Tbird pictured and the MB 300SL Gullwing which was made when the Franklin Mint was still the Franklin Mint and made cars in Pennsylvania. These new ones are atrocious. Doors don't fit, paint is fair and proportions are all wrong. I will leave those alone unless I can pick them up dirt cheap. :(

One more thought. I tried to "fix" the door on my Tbird to make it fit better and broke it off. I have it superglued on and it fits well now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts