Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello , im new to this h.o forum board and seen all the other track pictures and thought you might like to see our track,what we have is a 6 lane afx set up on a 9'x14' table with 73 feet of track laid out, we call it frankenstein speedway because of all the homemade peices in the track,the track is built with all 9'' 12'' 15'' inch turns, the track is really fast with the all homemade bank turns which you can see there is nothing flat on the whole track,the whole track has the cork railing and has all been bondo to finish the seems and cork ,which right now its in primer and needs finished painted, but i am taking it apart and moving it to my garage to make it bigger so i thought i would post a few pics before taking it down, we will have the new track done in a few weeks and i will post the pics of the new track, we run tyco phaze 2 cars on here and its really fast,its set up on the computer for race programs and timing system. thanks for lookin at my track let me no what you think about it, the track is in illinois and we race every tuesday night with about 10 racers every week, thanks gary

·
Duke Dave of Sealand
2,879 Posts
Track look nice Racin....how long is it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
track

right now its only 73 feet of track but i just took it down to put in my garage , it will be over 100 foot after i finish,im making 4 12'' 15'' 18'' 6 lane bank turns and adding more straights so it will be 24 foot long and 6 feet wide when im finished, thanks for lookin at our track there was alot of hard work put into it with all the hand made bank turns and all the puttying and cork work and painting. thanks gary

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Hi Gary, Thanks for sharing! Very nice banks, smooth. The elavation changes are nice and subtle. This track looks very fast just sittin' there. BH

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
banks

yes they took along time to get them banked out of flat turns, now im goin to build 2 big banks with 12'' 15'' 18'' turns for my new layout which will be done in a couple weeks , i have a weekly racing program and the other racers are ready to run on the new track , the last track was 73 foot and the new one should be around a 100 foot 6 lane track,, thanks for lookin at my gallery , and thanks for the comments it was alot of work to get the track put together, thanks gary

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
track

yes the bank turns are made from flat track like what comes in a race set , i just spent alot of time banking them so they are all the same degree so i could go 6 lanes like the biggest bank you can get from afx is a12 i had to figure out a way to bank the 15 but i figured it out its easier to start with flat track than trying to match the stock banks. thanks gary

·
Registered
806 Posts
Wow- Very fast looking track. Looks like a blast to race on. Looking foirward to seeing the new and improved version.
Jim

·
Registered
414 Posts
I would think there would be a little bit of cutting involved. If you've seen a piece of Scalextric track you will notice that the track slots are for the most part exposed and the track itself being very flexible sure helps.

The Tyco or the AFX flex track in the past were made by a series of pieces to form one straight, both standard tracks are hardly flexible so think for a moment if you were to make cuts on the side of the track usually where the gaurd rails are attached and on the inside of the piece as well and remove some of the slot area fron underneath (a dremel works fine for this of course) as well, now the piece becomes a little more flexible.

The hard part is getting the track rail to arc as they tend to want to pop out when bending the track, so I placed the piece of track on a folded towel and slowly began working the piece with a rolling pin to create the banked curve.
I'm sure heating it a bit with a heat gun prior to rolling would also help too.

Here's the result, the a standard curve and the hand made banked piece

Well however you achieved it :thumbsup: racin75 to a super looking track, the pic's really show off the track well, looking forward to your next masterpiece.

Tycoarm/Tycosaur

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
track

thanks illl try to post some new pics today of the new track its goin to be cool , the new banks will be 2 feet high when there finished im goin to get 8 18'' turns and bank them, thanks to the guy that replyed on the 18,s i will order them next week so i can finish my track , i am workin on bankin the 12 and 15 '' turns today so when my 18,s get here i can finish it, thanks for the reply,s on my track there has been a ton of work involved in it .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
new track

hello,its been a while since i been on this forum but the new track is done so i will post some pics in the next few days so you can what i have done it really turned out nice i think now that its painted and all up in runnin,its alot different than the pics in my gallery its alot bigger with some huge 18'' banks with 47 degree banking. thanks gary

·
Registered
327 Posts
That track is a masterpiece! I cant even being to imagine how many man hours were put into that setup. But bravo on banking your own track sections. I wish I were more eqiuped with man skills like that lol. INcredible work. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
speedway

thanks for the replys its been a job soldering every joint on the whole track and spot puttying all the track so it looks seamless and putting all the corkroad bed and walls and painting the track grey,it has 25 power taps which was 300 solder joints and runnin the main power to the track in 5 spots,tonight we are hookin up the lap counter so i will post what kind of lap times and mph in a couple days i think it will be crazy because all the banking and long straights the track is really fast with tyco cars with green wire arms and phase 3 motor mags and phaze 2 traction mags with wizzard silicone foam tires,lexan bodies, tonight were havin are first race on the new track hoping to have 10 guys show up, got to go and get the track wiped off before the racers show up. thanks gary

1 - 20 of 37 Posts