Oxidation Genius
31,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not Al Franken...

Trying to get the right exposure on the face:

Base painting details:
http://www.inpayne.com/temp/franky-m-13.jpg
http://www.inpayne.com/temp/franky-m-18.jpg

The skin is ModelMaster Panzer Interior Buff. It had just the right "deathly flseh palor" look to me. Then I went into the shadows with slate blue-gray chalk pastel on a stubby brush. The under-eyes are rose pastel.

I had a lot more fun doing the base than the figure - you don't have to be careful painting a dungeon! Washes and dry-brushes and layers of crap. How can you mess it up? :)

·
Registered
821 Posts
John
Outstanding work! Yours is the first kit I've seen where someone detailed the side of the door. I plan to do that as well.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Great look. I like the skin color and will use about the same. Base does look super. Thanks for sharing!

·
Oxidation Genius
31,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
John
Outstanding work! Yours is the first kit I've seen where someone detailed the side of the door. I plan to do that as well.

Jeff
Oh, that big blank end of the door was screaming at me "I'm too plaaaain!" :)

I also stone-textured the sides and top of the wall, and the stone sides of the doorway with a dremel grinder. Couldn't stand any of those blank sides!

And NONE of it showed up in my photos! :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
Great job, John! I also love what you did to the edge of the door.

And I know what you mean: I'm currently working on the floor section of the base, and having a blast. This is a fun kit.

Sean

·
Registered
882 Posts
John, that is a beautiful job. I love the skin colour and the extra detail on the base.

The gash and bruising on Frankie's forhead and just the right gloss on the eyes really brings him 'to life'. Wow, I'm channeling Colin Clive! :)

·
Oxidation Genius
31,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I alwyas hit a figure's eyes with a dab of Future floor polish to make them wet-looking. I wasn't sure if I should'a with a dead guy, but what the heck. :)

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Mate, that is fantastic!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
The door edge really makes a big difference to the overall detail. The paintwork is excellent!!

Chris.:)

·
Elder Statesman
1,147 Posts
Really nice work, John! Overall looks great, I really like the door edge details! Good Stuff!!:thumbsup: - Denis

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Yours is a terrific built-up, John. I really like the skin tones which closely resemble the color video of Karloff in make-up. (If only Son of Frankenstein had actually been released in color! Sigh).

Thanks for posting your pics and for sharing your technique & color scheme.

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Just spotted this thread, JP! Great job on 'ole Frankie...he couldn't look better!

I echo what others have said about the extra detail work you've done....really nice job! :thumbsup:

MMM

·
Oxidation Genius
31,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks folks!
I'm having regrets that I didn't give him an argyle sweater just to be different.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts