Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
There is color footage. I have seen it. It is a short home movie type
piece of Karloff on the set between takes. Unfortunately they did not
incude it as an extra on the recent Legacy Collection DVDs.

James :)

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Mitchellmania said:
D'OH !!! I wish I could find some color photos from that film ( not colorized) :(
From that film? 'That' film would be 'Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein'. I don't believe color footage or still pics exist of 'that' film. Pictured are Bela Lugosi, Bela G. Lugosi ( aka Bela jr. ), and Glen Strange.

Guess Who mentions color pics existing of 'Boris Karloff'. That would be from 'Son of Frankenstein' - a film that was originally to have been filmed in color. Some behind-the-scenes photos exist of Karloff clowning around with make-up master Jack Pierce, for instance. The monster's make-up is a pale green color ( not as vibrant as the pic posted above ). These photos have shown up on the internet from time to time. I believe they came from A&E's BIOGRAPHY.

- GJS

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I just did a Google image search for: 'Frankenstein Behind Scenes'. When that page came up, I clicked on the link that allows you to repeat the search including the 'ommitted results'. When THAT page came up, a pic of Karloff choking Jack Pierce was among the pics. It's the real deal. Unfortunately, when you click on that link the page which once existed is no longer there. You can at least see the thumbnail.

- GJS

·
Curmudgeon
6,594 Posts
Yes, but don't forget the fact that Pierce only used the green makeup so The Monster would appear gray on screen (to represent a death pallor). So are you trying to reproduce the makeup or the on-screen appearance?

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Zombie_61 said:
Yes, but don't forget the fact that Pierce only used the green makeup so The Monster would appear gray on screen (to represent a death pallor). So are you trying to reproduce the makeup or the on-screen appearance?
And the same goes for Dracula's cape ( in the 1931 original ). A cape with a Gray lining was used during filming because the dark RED lining was nearly indistinguishable from the cape's black exterior on film. So, when you do a Dracula figure model you have to decide whether you're going for an authentic likeness of the character or of the actor.

- GJS

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
as to franky, the color of the cine arts prepainted bust is pretty close to the actual makeup. if memory serves, lugosi was very pale, nearly white, in the a&c film

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The Batman said:
From that film? 'That' film would be 'Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein'. I don't believe color footage or still pics exist of 'that' film. Pictured are Bela Lugosi, Bela G. Lugosi ( aka Bela jr. ), and Glen Strange.

Guess Who mentions color pics existing of 'Boris Karloff'. That would be from 'Son of Frankenstein' - a film that was originally to have been filmed in color. Some behind-the-scenes photos exist of Karloff clowning around with make-up master Jack Pierce, for instance. The monster's make-up is a pale green color ( not as vibrant as the pic posted above ). These photos have shown up on the internet from time to time. I believe they came from A&E's BIOGRAPHY.

- GJS
FOOTAGE IS ON "100 YEARS OF TERROR DVD", HOSTED BY CHRISTOPHER LEE!
WHICH I OWN- I used it as refence for my Son of Frankenstein model! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Zombie_61 said:
GREEN LOOKS BETTER THAN GREY VISUALLY.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Mitchellmania said:
WHICH I OWN- I used it as refence for my Son of Frankenstein model! :thumbsup:
Great! I have that DVD, too. I'm going to have to sit down and watch it someday.

- GJS

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
The Batman said:
Mark M, over on the Clubhouse BB, has located these pics I mentioned earlier:

http://www.theclubhouse1.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6459&start=20

If you're interested in seeing actual color photos of Karloff in make-up with Jack Pierce, check it out.
- GJS

·
Curmudgeon
6,594 Posts
Mitchellmania said:
GREEN LOOKS BETTER THAN GREY VISUALLY.
I think that's a matter of opinion. I've always preferred the pale flesh/gray look. I think the green looks too garish and doesn't make much sense physiologically (yeah, I know it's fiction, but still...). Of course, this is just my opinion, and if you think green looks better, more power to you!

The down side of going for the gray look on a kit is, unless you add a little color here or there it looks like you're trying to do a black and white color scheme.

Mitchellmania said:
First, is the title supposed to be "100 Years of Horror"? I tried searching "100 Years of Terror" and I kept getting a 5 DVD documentary by A&E on terrorism. Second, is the "100 Years" DVD worth getting?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts