Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found these under my sons' bed,in a box.Forgot I had them.He finally moved out 24.Took the bed apart to give it to my grandson & surprise found these along with some action figures & other junk....

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
422 Posts
Nice, The Oscar Mobile looks cool. I have the new released version. I also like that Daytona. I have the Final Run one and a different variations but not that 1996 First editions. Nice :)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I like the flamed Daytona too! I got out of collecting around 1998, so haven't seen that many of them made between then and 2005.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Made 3 ???

The 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona was one of the most dramatic shots fired during the late 1960's stock car Aero Wars. Originally envisioned as a 1970 model year offering, Chrysler rushed the car into production early because of the lack luster performance of its predecessor, the 1969 Dodge Charger 500. Stock car sanctioning body rules allowed all cars (including Daytonas) to race for more than one season, so it was not then necessary to manufacture any significant number of race or street Daytonas for 1970. Besides, Dodge's sister division Plymouth was producing its own winged car for 1970, the SuperBird.

According to winged car aficionado Greg Kwiatkowski (who provided all of the photos found here), the car at left was built for Bob McCurry, then Vice-President and General Manager of Dodge. It is thought to be perhaps one of three 1970 Dodge Charger Daytonas produced by Chrysler - or what was as close as they could come at the time. Most winged car "experts" don't really consider this a true Daytona, as it's missing at least one very important part that "real" 1969 Daytonas had - the special rear window treatment.

And what of the other two cars? An In-Violet purple car resides at the Wheels and Spokes Museum in Hays, Kansas. There are rumors that the third car was blue, but little else is known about it.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bumper

These had every option available for the Charger line, plus R/T door scoops, side marker lights (the bodies were '70's, not '69's), electric sunroofs, vinyl tops, custom front bumpers (looked something like '63 Vette front bumpers), and were powered by Hemi's.

This is a much sharper black and white version of the color photo seen above. The loop at front served as a bumper, which was required on all 1970 vehicles.

[/IMG]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts