Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ended up going into the Target today by work to look for some new hot wheels. I didn't find anything that I wanted and as I was turning to leave the aisle I spotted these! All 3 packs sitting there for me. Those were the only ones there. Did I get lucky? If not I saved the receipt, lol. :dude:

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Ended up going into the Target today by work to look for some new hot wheels. I didn't find anything that I wanted and as I was turning to leave the aisle I spotted these! All 3 packs sitting there for me. Those were the only ones there. Did I get lucky? If not I saved the receipt, lol. :dude:
Only you can be the judge in if you got lucky....

I per say wouldn't drop $75+ tax on them as the only difference is the redlines on the tires to make them different than the regular issue.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only you can be the judge in if you got lucky....

I per say wouldn't drop $75+ tax on them as the only difference is the redlines on the tires to make them different than the regular issue.
Yes, I agree. I thought that these were limited and hard to get, therefore by holding on to them they may have been worth something in the future. If that's not the case I will return them.

I rather spend the $75 on a mess of cars that I enjoy for the cars and not a monetary amount. I love buying my Monte Carlos!! :tongue:

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
Yes, I agree. I thought that these were limited and hard to get, therefore by holding on to them they may have been worth something in the future. If that's not the case I will return them.

I rather spend the $75 on a mess of cars that I enjoy for the cars and not a monetary amount. I love buying my Monte Carlos!! :tongue:
really that's the only reason you bought them:rolleyes:so if you can not turn a profit on somthing you will return it.just leave it nexted time for someone who would really like to have it in there collection.if buying somthing only for expecting a high return down the road is all you want to do than go collect coins you are not gonna get rich on HWs.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts

IMHO, It's a great set, but I buy what I enjoy and not look for things that will be worth alot down the road as we can never tell what the market will be in the future in value, so that being said, I buy what grabs my attention to own and enjoy. :D

People need to remember that this isn't 1995 again with the booming diecast market.. It's a different market today and we have to keep in mind, buy what you will enjoy and not be worried about what a certain item will be worth in the future.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
really that's the only reason you bought them:rolleyes:so if you can not turn a profit on somthing you will return it.just leave it nexted time for someone who would really like to have it in there collection.if buying somthing only for expecting a high return down the road is all you want to do than go collect coins you are not gonna get rich on HWs.
Well that was nice.

I have never bought cars to turn a profit. I buy the cars (mostly only Monte Carlos) for my enjoyment. The only other few cars I have I buy for my son.

However if I see something that may be special (which I almost never do) I may grab it. Whether it's cars or anything else. If it's something that I know may be a desired collectable I will enjoy it and keep for my children. I'm not brave enough for commodities or stocks, lol.

If I find treasure hunts or supers I would trade or sell them for something I would really like to enjoy. I haven't though. It's a thing called "supply and demand". So if someone has a TH or a STH and they trade or sell it for more than the amount they paid they are making a profit. You can't tell me that everyone on here searches for these special cars with absolutely no intentions of doing anything like that. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
Bottom line, his money, after he buys them, he can send them to the man in the moon for 500 bucks..his money his business, and i'll admit it, i made LOOT of early Cars chases...When we allll buy trade bait, we hope to get something better down the line..money or trade..

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol... Getting rich off a hobby is not the right state of mind to have.
Lol. Yuuup! If I had that I would be at the TRU and other stores 10 minutes before they opened.

I used to do maintenance at a local TRU part time and every Saturday morning I could describe to you who would be first through the door.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
IMHO, It's a great set, but I buy what I enjoy and not look for things that will be worth alot down the road as we can never tell what the market will be in the future in value, so that being said, I buy what grabs my attention to own and enjoy. :D

People need to remember that this isn't 1995 again with the booming diecast market.. It's a different market today and we have to keep in mind, buy what you will enjoy and not be worried about what a certain item will be worth in the future.

WELL said bro, when I buy items they are ones that I like and will enjoy laying on the floor taking pictures and playing with them. That is what my hobby is about too me.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
WELL said bro, when I buy items they are ones that I like and will enjoy laying on the floor taking pictures and playing with them. That is what my hobby is about too me.
Thank you brotha, I personally think people get caught up in the hype that everything diecast will be worth alot down the road. Its a different world today in what a diecast car values at..... People went CRAZY over the HWs back in the mid 90s.... And I mean they went nuts here in Ca.... They bought up everything by the case load.... It was hard to find what you were after when the last person who came in the store walking out with the last case the store had in stock.... The buyers in my area went straight to the Swap Meet and they made quite a bit of cash from each car, but those days are over - thank god.

It's great seeing it's back on track in what most diecast sell for. Do not get me wrong as I am well aware that their are many people still out there who think they will make millions off of their diecast that they call gold. We can't change that, but what we can do is redirect their thinking and bring them back down to earth where they will be safe from themselves.

GL collectors/sellers thinking that their Green Machines are still worth $600 up for their Cars. Slow down GL collectors/sellers - I have yet to see a GM sell for those prices at all the Shows I have been too. Online eBay is different as you have people in different countries who will pay stupid prices for a $5 Car that doesn't ship to there country, so that is why they will pay stupid prices.

Now onto the M2 collectors/sellers - show me a price guide that your Chase car is worth $100 for your Blue Ground Pounders or $130 for your Chrome Dodge Daytona etc....

People who were lucky to find these Gems will always think that they own gold.... Diecast is a revolving door... It goes up then it will go down then it will level off at a medium asking price....

Diecast will always change in price & it's us who do not like changes when it comes to what we feel our diecast is worth.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Stupid prices alright. Sometimes I do overpay by a certain amount because I really want a certain car for my collection, not to sell it again with a profit. Still, I guess it plays into the hands of those dealers, with or without an X in their name.

·
Banned
565 Posts
Still, I guess it plays into the hands of those dealers, with or without an X in their name.
:lol: @ with or without an X in their name...

It is us as collectors who want to pay the extreme price for a car we need to have right now, and the scalpers know this. If we just sit back and wait we will find what we are looking for at a reasonable price. I personally will not pay the high prices for any diecast, I will wait till I can find it cheaper even if I have to wait 2 or 3 yrs or longer. Because I know in a few years that Super or that Chase car will be so much cheaper than the $100 people are asking for when it is first put out on the market. What it boils down to is what a person wants to pay for the car that they have to have now.

I agree with Craig, his $$$ his business. I for one don't like when someone tries to tell me or judges me for what I do with my $$$. If I want to go out and blow my whole check on exercise equipment, the one arm bandits, or diecast cars that is my business. I earned my $$$ by working hard for it every week and if I want to treat myself to something I will. If I don't want it anymore and want to sell it and it turns out I made a profit from it, all the better, but if I break even that is great too.

·
Registered
10,381 Posts
:lol: @ with or without an X in their name...

It is us as collectors who want to pay the extreme price for a car we need to have right now, and the scalpers know this. If we just sit back and wait we will find what we are looking for at a reasonable price. I personally will not pay the high prices for any diecast, I will wait till I can find it cheaper even if I have to wait 2 or 3 yrs or longer. Because I know in a few years that Super or that Chase car will be so much cheaper than the $100 people are asking for when it is first put out on the market. What it boils down to is what a person wants to pay for the car that they have to have now.

I agree with Craig, his $$$ his business. I for one don't like when someone tries to tell me or judges me for what I do with my $$$. If I want to go out and blow my whole check on exercise equipment, the one arm bandits, or diecast cars that is my business. I earned my $$$ by working hard for it every week and if I want to treat myself to something I will. If I don't want it anymore and want to sell it and it turns out I made a profit from it, all the better, but if I break even that is great too.
Well Said Shelly!,....Its one of my reasons why my collection stays small, But when in a Auction or a swap meet, I stay back and wait for that right price, but if I really want it then it would be up to me to spend the money...:thumbsup:

·
Banned
565 Posts
Well that was nice.

I have never bought cars to turn a profit. I buy the cars (mostly only Monte Carlos) for my enjoyment. The only other few cars I have I buy for my son.

However if I see something that may be special (which I almost never do) I may grab it. Whether it's cars or anything else. If it's something that I know may be a desired collectable I will enjoy it and keep for my children. I'm not brave enough for commodities or stocks, lol.

If I find treasure hunts or supers I would trade or sell them for something I would really like to enjoy. I haven't though. It's a thing called "supply and demand". So if someone has a TH or a STH and they trade or sell it for more than the amount they paid they are making a profit. You can't tell me that everyone on here searches for these special cars with absolutely no intentions of doing anything like that. :rolleyes:
I agree with you, honestly I would rather give a car to someone then have to deal with the trading/buying. To me it is less frustration, because there are people out there that think their items are worth GOLD and your item is worth nothing, and they want more for their item (cars or $$$ wise) then what you may think it is worth. If I send something to someone they are looking for and they return the favor that is great, if not that is ok too. I rather give the person what they are looking for if I can without expecting anything in return. I have picked up some items that I thought would be of value someday in hopes that it will benefit my daughter when she gets older, and if she doesn't want it then she can sell it or she can pass it down to her kids.

·
Banned
565 Posts
Well Said Shelly!,....Its one of my reasons why my collection stays small, But when in a Auction or a swap meet, I stay back and wait for that right price, but if I really want it then it would be up to me to spend the money...:thumbsup:
Thanks, it is only common sense... That is the way I look at it.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
To thin out my collection every year I donate cars to needy children. I will donate a chase or Super TH - it does not matter to me what car. Sometimes I pay a premium for a car I really like. I enjoy my collection and don't intend on making any money. Actually I expect to lose money collecting. The value to me is the enjoyment of these little cars.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts