Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the old man recently had a cleanout and came across a 1961 Revell model kit of a Chrysler motorized engine - 1/4 scale. I was amazed at the quality of this kit (for its age). The instruction booklet is finely detailed and it even comes with its own tools, bags of metal components, electric motor and lights. In its day this model must have cost a packet. His reason for not building was that it was too good to build.

Anyway here's a few pics of this wonderful kit.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Man that is sweet! I would love to have a kit like that! I have had 2 old Plymouths with that engine!

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
WOW! What an awesome find! I don't think I have ever seen that one before!
Gonna build it? Sell it for something else you want??
Very Cool find!
Chris

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I had that kit - Built it - It's long gone! I was a High School freshman in 1961!
That complete - unbuilt kit is probably worth a pretty nice dollar these days!

Brings back memories!

Dave

·
Registered
141 Posts
Revell Slant Six - the rest of the story

Jim Keeler, Revell's car guy in the first half of the 1960s, told me this story when I was researching "Remembering Revell": Revell wanted to do a GM V-8, but GM would not support it [perhaps because Monogram was doing its Chevy V-8 at the same time]. So Revell went with Chrysler cars and the slant-6, an engine that Chrysler wanted to promote. Keeler thought this was the wrong engine to do, so he proposed that Revell at least add competition parts. Revell rejected this idea and went ahead with a basic engine. Revell brought a real slant-6 into its model shop to copy directly in making the model. So it's very accurate. The model did not sell very well. Nor did the Chrysler car annuals Revell issued.
Then one day some guys from "Hot Rod" magazine visited the Revell plant and saw the real slant-6 engine in the shop. They asked for it, and Revell gave it to them. "Hot Rod" then built its asymmetrical XR-6 show car, and then AMT made a model of it. So the slant-6 in AMT's XR-6 model is a model of the very same engine used by Revell for its engine kit.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
If I recall rightly, a good friend and co-worker of mine had a slant-6, which I drove quite often, and it was a bear in damp or rainy weather. Something about moisture settling on top of it. It would either be hard to start, or once running, would die out if it rained too hard or you hit a puddle, etc. Even if their was just a cold mist in the air.
I know it died on me several times in that manner. Anyone else know of this ???

I actually loved the old Chevy "Blue-flame six" that they used for years and was a real 'runner" and workhorse. I owned a couple.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The slant six had a problem w condensation forming inside the distributor cap and causing these problems.That problem was fixed when a vented distributor cap was introduced,All that aside its the best inline six ever built!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The kit is now on Ebay. I've put a link in the 'auction / for sale area' of this forum. All proceeds to the old man's retirement fund. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
good luck on your auction: it looks like it'll do well.

The first car I remember my parents buying was a '64 Valiant with a Slant Six (I was fascinated with all things mechanical then).

As I recall it never had a problem with dank Seattle weather. We lived there until '68 which is when the Valiant got sold. I wish the transmission on my Honda had a push-button selector.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts