Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this one at the yard sale the other day. 1/43 scale F1 car, comes on a wooden base, base plate says "USI 1997" Whatever that means...... on the car it says "Ertl Collectibles" But I was not aware that Ertl made 1/43 F1 cars.

(refresh the page if pics won't load)

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
It sure is a good looking car... I knew Ertl made all kinds of stuff, but I never seen any F1 cars by Ertl either... Nice find there... Looks like alot of detail... Congrats !!!

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
That is the Olds powered Dallara of 1997 IRL (Indy Racing League) Rookie Of The Year Jim Guthrie. This was one of several cars run under the Blueprint Racing banner that year and carried the Jacuzzi sponsership from Indy through the balance of the season.

Ertl was even really a sponser on the car just as you see it in the photos.

Now with that said, I'm with you guys...I had no idea that Ertl cast or outsourced ANY open wheel diecast! What a cool find Vadim! I can not put my finger on the USI badge, based on the logo on the front canard wing, i'm thinking maybe this was a promo peice for the University of Southern Indiana.

Very cool piece indeed!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Formula One car is a open cockpit, single-seat, open wheel raceing car with substantial front and rear wings, and an engine positioned behind the driver. The Formula One regulations specify that cars must be constructed by the racing teams themselves, though the design and manufacture can be outsourced. The regulations governing the cars are unique to the championship.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
LOL!! Yea, we know what an F1 car is, we already established that this a North American IRL Indy Car (though built in Parma, Italy) and not a F1 ride. I think he was using the term more as a generic description. Though this car still fits your discription of an F1 car less the construction.

But all kidding aside, were thrilled you’re here on Hobby Talk Bancroft, looking forward to your post. Enjoy the ride, HT is a great place to spend a bit of time.

Ward

1 - 6 of 6 Posts