Hobbyist Forums banner
61 - 80 of 87 Posts
I really like this track. Those never ending esses are very cool. It looks like a good spectator track. Though I wouldn't call it scenic. Maybe those two cancel one another. I liked this image

Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Automotive tire

When Frank heard "Halloween Bar-BQ @ COTA." He KNEW it was the right time to break out his new grill.

Vehicle Grass Fan Plant Automotive tire

Discussion starter · #62 ·
I saw the flame throwing Octopus between qualifying sessions today! And count 3 fire extinguishers in the photo and very closely cropped cut grass area around it!

The small lake you see to the West side of the track (near the Esses) is a restored Blacklands Prairie site. A kind of buffer from the Hill Country to the North and West of Austin and the Coastal Prairie that starts just to the South of the Austin Area.

2013 COTA Rolex Grand AM Series
by Milton Fox, on Flickr

The tower photo above is nice.

Here is the Red Bull turn 1 hill crowd on qualification day for the then Grand AM race back in 2013.

by Milton Fox, on Flickr

Austin would be a great place to go play music. But I just couldn't live someplace that flat, It gives me claustrophobia. If my memory serves me didn't they have to build that hill coming out of the front straight ?

Discussion starter · #64 ·
The hill was already there and part of the site selection. I grew up on the Gulf Coast where the highest point was 20 miles away and only 14 feet height.. It was (still is) what is left of a sulfur mound

The elevation in Austin is only anywhere from 300 feet to 1500 feet above sea level. And is less than that where the track is located. Austin would be about 3:30 to 4 o'clock to the red area in the darker green color on this map.

Ecoregion Map World Atlas Parallel

Map World Font Parallel Atlas

Discussion starter · #66 ·
No, being on the Southeast side of Austin it is actually fairly low compared to what you can find in Austin and to the North in that red area. Which is about 5 times higher up comparatively. When you throw in the approach speed my palms would be sweaty as well.

Font Poster Event Magenta Illustration

Discussion starter · #67 · (Edited)
The view from Turn 1 looking Southeast. It's all down hill and flat to the Gulf of Mexico - about 150 mile as the crow flies in that direction - which is only about a 2 foot average drop for every mile! That is turn 16 under the pedestrian bridge where the track climbs back up again before going back down hill to turn 20. And turn 12 (which I think is the lowest point of the track) is the orange pylon in the distance to the left.

by Milton Fox, on Flickr

For the track site it is not quite 1/2 way down from top of Turn 1 to Turn 2 and downhill all the way to Turn 12 from this viewpoint.

It is an interesting track. Not sure why it is being called a street circuit though?
Looks like it was part of the street system to me. I like the track. Kinda reminds me of a well-used bobby pin. I'd like to see it widened in a few places. Don't need all those red flags. I don't ever see it, in its present configuration, being a track with good driver visibility.

Either by design, manipulation or fate. The Championship can't get closer.

Discussion starter · #74 ·
It does almost seem orchestrated!

Mrs Fox's first comment on the race was why are they calling it a street race? There does seem to be a lot of roads around the track, into and out of it, but none of them seem to intersect directly with the track though?

It was also hard to follow the rulings and judgements the race director passed along instead of the stewards. I also like the track and the used booby pin is a great descriptor!

The track does appear to be off to one side of the city. But being that it's in its own area. There's no reason not to fix the obvious issues. The nature of the accidents and their locations would be a good indication of things to look at. I could also see business growing up around that area. Given that is the plan.

Discussion starter · #76 ·
On paper it really doesnt look that bad and maybe being it was the first race for the drivers and the marshals - the blind corners can be better marshaled next year. I would have liked to see a bridge and figure 8 layout at 2 to 21 and 3 to 23. Or at 5 and 20.

8, 9 18 and 19 might also have worked.

Slope Font Line Plot Parallel

Discussion starter · #77 · (Edited)
So it was my turn for the DVR schedule to not update! Missed FP1 and most of FP2 due to channel (?) changes/updates.

Way to go ABC/ESPN!. Last race of the season and the top 2 drivers are level going into the final weekend. And now you further dismiss the racing broadcasts even more than you already have been dueing to show other sports! While F1 has the largest motorsport viewership in the entire World!!!!

Wake up ESPN!

Oddly got to see everything.... Well... Up to where they abruptly cut away immediately after F-1 business was completed. Seems like it might have been a scheduled sports talk show that was really pressing.

I was really surprised at Qualley results. Hope it's a good race to the flag. And we get to see it.

Discussion starter · #79 ·
I forgot to mention on Friday that I was kind of lost on track during the part of FP2 I did watch. Saturday I realized why with understanding the track modifications!

The race today almost felt scripted again but congrates to Max. Mercedes would have lost if Hamilton had pitted anyway. Just as Hamilton would have passed Max at the beginning of the race. Though he should have given the place fully back.

I also heard Martin Brundle read the applicable rule for the yellow flag process which was nothing close to what they had previously been stating about 'may' allow.

Now lets see if Massey stands his ground or the owners push him out.

Steward consistency hasn't been... Consistent, this season. . The "no investigation" really smacked of bias., Like you. I knew Hamilton was going to win. But then Perez played his part. For which he gets my vote for "driver of the day." (Don't understand them withdrawing his car. Neither did he). And then in what had to be a race for last place (HAAS was involved with a Williams) Set up a 6 minute yellow flag and that one lap shootout. With all of the indecision the FIA could muster. FREEKIN GREAT ! ! ! I was ROTFL 🤣 at Toto screaming "THAT'S NOT RIGHT ! ! ! ://🤬 ://🤬
Ya reckon it's over ?

61 - 80 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.