Hobbyist Forums banner

Formula 1 2021 F1

7K views 86 replies 2 participants last post by  ClearHooter 
#1 · (Edited)
Proper racing starts this weekend with the Bahrain Grand Prix. ESPN (2, U and NewsHD) coverage. I have to acknowledge I havent been keeping up with all the changes and updates but I've got 2 days to catch up. I only found one pre event related show right before the race coverage on Sunday morning and 2 rebroadcasts Sunday evening and over night Monday morning US Central Time.

#2 ·
Still not used to who is driving what and the paint colors but surprisingly or not Versstappen has topped FP1 2 and 3. Red Bull and Mercedes have the top 2 teams still and the rest are all over the boards depending on time of day, fuel load and tires.

#3 ·
Versstappen wind pole. If anyone is interested let us start out picking 4th place this year. I think it will be Verstappen and Hamilton at the top with Tsunado in 3rd, but Gasly will still end up beating Bottas and Leclerc to finish in 4th.

#4 ·
Well that was an ugly start to the race!

And those dang track limits. I heard Toto say post race enforcement was brought in during the middle of the race! Was it the lap before Verstappens pass? Hamilton had been running track limits all day and so was Verstappen but it looked like the enforcement went in to effect during Verstappens pass. He had already passed both cars on the inside of him!!!! With nowhere else to go.

Not sure what happened to Tsunado early on but he did manage to climb back to 9th place.

Vettal is not a factor this year Which is to bad for Aston Martin.

#9 ·
Portugal's track would be one I'd either like to do a lap or two by myself. Or watch them race on TV.... Flashbacks of Road Atlanta !. Constant + and - G's. One blind hill after another. And some of those have turns sweeping through them. All of those things are at RA and more. Love the track to spectate from. Not to drive in competition. Good race. I'd like to have seen more midfield competition.

The ESPN coverage was, as usual, poor. I guess there's great concepts that for some reason are visited, work well and then discarded. You know ? Like the Hardee Huskee,.Co-Molds, XP, and SPEED VISION.

#10 ·
Yes Portugal is a nice track. I am not sure why they truncate the broadcasts like they do of the feed from F1. And then the feed of the actual race is controlled by a local broadcaster. I miss the post race coverage where they interview drivers and team principals and great insight is shared not only after the race but after each session.

Eventually I will have to invest in the direct feed from Sky Sports to get the additional coverage they provide.

I'm starting to think Hamilton is sandbagging up untl the race and Mercedes is suppressing Bottas during the race though.

#11 ·
Have had a really busy 10 days so I either fell sleep each time I tried to watch FP, Q and the race but I have now made it to the end of Race. The focus and challenge at the front was nice to see and hardly any mid pack coverage or back marker coverage. I heard the commentators talking about Lewis and Mercedes with their fine grand of exceptional sand! Which I found extremely amusing!

Mercedes managed to bring Bottas back to the podium this week. And Red Bull made a few strategy calls and a bad pit stop to loss the race this week.

Monaco in two weeks! My favorite venue behind Spa!

#12 ·
Monaco McLaren Gulf

Mercedes seems to have brought their sand bags to Monaco as well where Ferarri is 1 and 2 at the end of FP2. Verstappen is holding P1 in FP3 so far but Ferrari is 2nd and 3rd with 30 minutes to go!

#13 ·
This has actually been a competitive season. I couldn't believe last weeks finish. Hated it for Max. Not so much for Merc. Nothing against Louis. It's just dynasties in sports gets boring. Haven't seen that much said about the last races finish; tire wise .. Yet. This track is going to take its tole on some cars.

#14 ·
I found it interesting this week about the chassis switch between Hamilton and Bottas. I cant remember them ever talking so much about this exchange but they must do this among teams frequently but I dont they are exactly the same as the set up before.

The tire issue last week was something but I remember that happening before at times. The more interesting is the pressure increase of 2 psi for this week and the inability for nearly everyone to keep the car on the track this week.

#15 ·
The FIA's been hounding the drivers for quite sometime. Now it looks like they're meaning it. They've got points on the apex; out of some turns, that induce damage and cause spins... The turn the HAAS spun in at the end of Q2 appears to be very deceptive. Is it all four wheels over the line at the same time ? or could the front be in while the back one is out ?
Don't understand why this isn't at Le Mans.

#17 ·
It was a good race and congrates to Verstappen! How old is Lewis now? There may not be a changing of the guard to prevent. I also look forward and see Bottas hopefully moving to a more competitive team for the rest of his carrier. Though I think Mercedes should try to keep him and nurture his skills while their new drivers develop.

#19 ·
Decisively.

Now to something more disturbing to me. Talk of a minimum pit stop time. I'm Agin' IT ! ! ! 🤬(n)One of the coolest things in F-1 is a pit stop in under 2 seconds. What should be an exciting part of the INDY series brings a bit of boredom to the pit stop; when the guys putting the wheels on are waiting for the car to fuel. Not like that in F-1. Until now and Bottas' half loop in the pits today. I got a chuckle out of the interview with Guenther Steiner about his opinion. Considering the HAAS crew is lucky to get a stop done in under 3 seconds on a good day. Just seemed like they should have asked someone it would adversely effect. HAAS would benefit from a new rule like this. Today's pit trouble had less to do with the down time and more to do with torque.

#21 ·
I've experienced the paint thing with worn Sketchers and a wet Wal-Mart parking lot. Hit one of those painted lines and next thing I know I'm on my back looking at a rainy sky. They were saying that paint was meant to slow cars down. Don't see that. unless it's got a hell of a grain to that paint.

#22 ·
Congrates to Red Bull on another win. Looks like a 5th in a row next week will be an easy task.

I think the abrasive (?) paint reference only applies at Paul Ricard and their massive run off areas. Everywhere else is a Walmart parking lot!

#23 ·
So they had a new sprint race format this week at Silverstone. A lot different result wise for the race but moving qualifying to Friday was the biggest change. Didnt care for Hamilton's move at Cobbs. He should really know better and backed out behind Leclerc later on. Ten seconds is a pitance of a penality. I've never seen any try to pass on the inside of Cobbs and Max held the racing line going into the corner. Hopefully; he will be okay. A 51g hit had to hurt internally.

#24 ·
First please let me say thank you to those associated with Hobby Talk for providing the diecast boards and keeping them pretty darn consistent; and functioning all these years. Unlike another forum that changes it's format more than Jim Hall changed the aerodynamics of the Chaparral.

With that said WOW........ Max is in a state of zemblanity..... And Louis is back in the land of serendipity. After thinking about it a couple of weeks I kind of have to say Louis should have thought better. I mean it wouldn't have been like he couldn't have recouped the positions. Then Botas last week-end playing F-1 billiards..

As Horner said about the Silverstone and applies to Hungry. ' Rather hollow victories.' But it DID make for a good race.

c

#25 ·
Never seen a one car restart before! It did turn out to be an interesting race though. Maybe there is some merit to that inverted field ideal they keep bring up.....

As to HobbyTalk the site hosting change was pretty dramatic in the leap forward in technology and it seems many of the patches made along the way were not salvegable or are still proving problematic but overall we do seem to have a stable site now and a trickle of new and returning members ever week. As I chant frequently - keep on posting - and they will (continue to) come! My thanks to everyone who has stuck around through the turmoil and law-less- ness periods!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.